Started on: 05-27-2007 07:57 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: batousai666 on 05-30-2010 01:53 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Most Fiero horns are now on their last legs, and sound like a wounded Volkswagen Bug. On mine, one would work occasionally, and the other sounded really weak, so they needed to be replaced. As I looked around at different horns, I found that original, NOS horns from a De Lorean were still available, and priced just as inexpensively as replacement generic and Fiero horns, at $15 a piece. They're also plastic so they won't turn into rusted clumps like the old ones. So I ordered them from http://www.delorean.com/ along with some other goodies. You can see a drawing of them here:

This afternoon during the Indy 500 rain delay, I decided to finally install them. Installation was suprisingly easy. I chocked the rear wheel, loosened the lugnuts on the front, jacked it up, supported with jackstands, and finished removing the wheel. Next the wheel liner was held in at the front by four 7mm bolts, and two pushpin plastic rivets. Once these were out, I could bend the liner back and have access to the horn. The wire connector unplugs, and a 7/16ths socket removed the bolt on the back of the horn, which holds it to the horn bracket.

I'll point out now that the horn bracket actually works as the ground for the horn. If you just plug the horns in and let them hang there, nothing will happen if you press the horn button, so make sure the brackets aren't rust-covered. The new De Lorean horn plugged right in with the stock connector, and the 10mm nut on the new horn held it perfectly on the original Fiero bracket. Since the new horns had openings, I angled them downward so water won't collect in them.

Once they were in I tested them out, and now the car has a nice, loud agressive horn! If you've ever seen the scene in 'Back to the Future' where Marty hits his head against the steering wheel when the car won't start, they sound exactly like that. As far as I know, I have the only Fiero with original De Lorean parts installed

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 01-06-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bradester

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking of replacing my horn too. But, I never assumed that you have to jack the car up and remove a wheel to do it? I suppose I could walk out into the driveway to look :-P , but you really have to do that?

------------------
-Brady

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to, but it gives you a LOT more room to work, and makes it easier to see.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

As far as I know, I have the only Fiero with original De Lorean parts installed

Your Fiero might have some company, as I'm considering replacing my car's horn's with something somewhat more aggressive-sounding, and it sounds like your horn swap accomplished that, and went easily as well. Nonetheless, I've three questions:

1. Did you use one "high-note" and one "low-note" horn as the DeLorean originally did, or did you do something else?

2. Did you reuse the Fiero's horn brackets?

3. And because my curiosity about this is killing me, WHAT caused you to swap a DELOREAN's horns for the Fiero's horns in the first place? (That idea reminds me somewhat of the people who've first figured out that licking certain types of frogs can be hallucinogenic, begging the question of them, "WHAT made you think of trying that?")
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:
1. Did you use one "high-note" and one "low-note" horn as the DeLorean originally did, or did you do something else?

Yes, one high note and one low note, just like the Fiero has (although I think 88 Fieros only had one horn?)

2. Did you reuse the Fiero's horn brackets?

Yep, worked perfectly

3. And because my curiosity about this is killing me, WHAT caused you to swap a DELOREAN's horns for the Fiero's horns in the first place? (That idea reminds me somewhat of the people who've first figured out that licking certain types of frogs can be hallucinogenic, begging the question of them, "WHAT made you think of trying that?")

ROFLMAO! I've always been a huge De Lorean fan, and while looking at some diagrams of the car, I noticed it used a two-horn system mounted in about the same location as the Fiero's horns, and the idea just popped into my head.
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced mine with a couple of those electric air horns w/ plastic trumpets... ( Fiocchi I think they are....) mounted the compressor in the front "trunk".... drilled a hole for the air tube to pass thru..and mounted the horns with the bells hanging down just behind the fan....
Much louder than the anemic stock horn....!!

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'00 HD 1200XL Sportster -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Can you record the Delorean horns sound on your car and post it?

Has anyone found any horn sets that sound more "sports car" like?

I have been looking at a pair of "extra loud" car horns at the car parts store but hate the "econobox" sound that most car horns have today. I loved the old 1980's Delta 88 and other luxury car horns that had a real pleasant tone to them that sounded like they meant business.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

The new De Lorean horn plugged right in with the stock connector, and the 10mm nut on the new horn held it perfectly on the original Fiero bracket....Once they were in I tested them out, and now the car has a nice, loud agressive horn!

I've no interest in ultra-loud horns that could be used to warn off low-flying aircraft, but I liked what was mentioned here, particularly about the ease of installation and the idea of a horn for the Fiero that sounds somewhat more aggressive than the anemic-sounding stock Fiero horns.

Accordingly, I just ordered those DeLorean horns for my Fiero, something that wasn't exactly a "top-of-mind" idea for me before having run across this thread yesterday.

In turn, that order means there will soon be AT LEAST TWO Fieros in the world with DeLorean horns.

This forum is great for picking up different ideas, and installing DeLorean horns in a Fiero is one I never would have thought of on my own in a bazillion years!
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I installed a duel trumpet air horn by Fiam (Harbor Freight Tool,$16).It has a europen sound and sounds just like a Ferrari.I actualley have 2 horns.The stock horn and the air horn that uses a seperat push button on the dask.
87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
My '89 Bonneville has a decent horn, I'm thinking of getting one from that line of GM car next time I'm in the yard. It's not loud, just has a less "meep-meep" sound. I think any large GM car from those years would have the same. Maybe a '91 Eldorado to match the 4.9!

------------------

'85GT Indy clone 4.9 4T60E
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'89 Bonneville daily driver
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post
Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DELOREAN?!
Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

A little flux capacitation anyone? Please don't drive 88...

-fh
PFF
System Bot
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
I've always said if you have time to honk your horn you have time to try and avoid the danger being imposed upon you. Actually since I have owned my Fiero my horn has never worked mainly because the steering wheel button is missing. But if I had to replace my horn I would be interested in getting something rather loud and deep.

Daniel
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I installed a duel trumpet air horn by Fiam (Harbor Freight Tool,$16).It has a europen sound and sounds just like a Ferrari.I actualley have 2 horns.The stock horn and the air horn that uses a seperat push button on the dask.

Same exact setup here. (although I used the factory GT horn button) The air horns and electric Fiero horn work great together.
One of the best mods I ever did!! I got real paranoid after I lowered the car......I was at eye level with most car's hubcaps.

Kit / 86 GT
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2007 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Someone mentioned on a diff thread something about using a few Cadillac horns. Im going to go this route. But im going to use 3 mounted up front and three mounted in the back. Unless i come across a train horn. Aside from letting woman driving SUV's while using cell phones know they are about to run me over.... Ive been watching some movies on google where people scare the living bajeezis out of unsuspecting pedestrians with train horns.... and that looks like to much fun to miss out on lol.

------------------

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Thank you for your advice about the DeLorean horns, RWDPLZ!

Counting my car, there are now at least TWO Fieros on this globe with brand new DeLorean horns in them.

It seems almost as if the DeLorean's horns were DESIGNED for the Fiero. Their installation in a Fiero is very easy, and you were right: I was even able to use the Fiero's original horn brackets with no problems.

Also, as you reported, the new DeLorean horns have a more aggressive sound. They eliminate that wuss "meep-meep" sound of the stock Fiero horns, but do so without being obnoxiously loud.

As for those frogs that I mentioned earlier in this thread, RWDPLZ, remember that doing that sort of thing probably isn't good for you.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear it worked for you They are a heck on an improvement.
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
If you want to hear how they sound, go to my website:

www.educatorstop15.we.bs/fieropage.htm

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget to click on the ads!
http://educatorstop15.we.bs/fieropage.htm

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Cool, another Fiero with them installed
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
I just ordred mine. Should have them installed before Christmas.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a normal horn to me. better than what most sports cars have. a poosy sounding horn. why is that most sports cars have the weakest sounding horns? a train horn is always cool. like the one from a buick park avenue

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem

Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones

Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2008 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisDirect Link to This Post
Do '88's have a different horn? My '86 has a meep-meep type sound, while the '88 has a typical GM honk.
PFF
System Bot
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverDirect Link to This Post
OK, I ordered them as well. Been running around with no horn for the last 9 months or so, Just about got nailed by one of those sky-high pickups that made a sudden right turn from the center lane into Burger King. I agree, avoid them first - but I would sure have liked to let him know I was there after I missed him - I don't think he ever realized that there was someone in the right lane.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Horns came today. A quick little swap and sounds much better.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
been running around with mine for about a month now, i just love the new sound. might have to invest in another set for my other fiero.
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Primaris:

Do '88's have a different horn? My '86 has a meep-meep type sound, while the '88 has a typical GM honk.

My 88 has a meep-meep sound. Since mine just has one horn, should I get the low or high note Delorean horn?

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
96 New Yorker

[This message has been edited by ChuckLS1 (edited 01-06-2009).]

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckLS1:
My 88 has a meep-meep sound. Since mine just has one horn, should I get the low or high note Delorean horn?

get both, i put'em on my '88.
red84fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red84fieromanSend a Private Message to red84fieromanDirect Link to This Post
is that why my fiero horn does not work at all?
Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

theres the scientific reason (to posin they secret is a nerotoxin and when animals would eat them they would get high)
then theres my reason people are STUPID some teenager probable said "DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE i DAAAAARE you to lick THAAAT FROGG MAAAAAAAANN!"
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Picked up some Caddy horns. They're funny coming from such a small car.
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
I also picked up some caddy horns ( with Stu ). Used both the orignal mounting hardware along with the caddy mounting hardware. The day after installing them, I had to dodge an idiot pulling in to my lane from the center median. Sure got their attention with the new ( loud ) horns. Best $14 I've spent in a long time.
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post
I just installed the Delorean high note horn in my 88. Sounds great!

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
96 New Yorker

PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
i love the sound of the delorean horns that i just bought a second set to go on my Formula.
can't wait to install them.

------------------

www.northtexasfieroclub.org

Tom Slick's Garage

Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerDirect Link to This Post
If I got these to replace the one horn on my formula how would I go about setting it up with both?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Tap the wire and put on a 2nd connector. You could either put both on the same side of the car in place of the original, or you could run a wire across to the other side for the 2nd horn.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i like the horn from a buick park avenue. sounds like a train horn. i want to get some mini train horns to fit in my fiero and in my aveo. scare teh **** out of people when they come close to hitting me when they arent paying attention or just to scare the bejesus out of people.

the buick horn can be had for dirt cheap or free, so i think i may go out this weekend and aquire some both my cars

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 09-11-2009).]

avidflyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avidflyrSend a Private Message to avidflyrDirect Link to This Post
Hate to rain on the loud horn parade, but the law enforcement men consider scaring the s--t out of texting and cell phoning drivers to be a form of road rage and could actually escalate with a substance abuse driver. I Do have the same frustrations with the inconsiderate drivers. Here in Flori dah we also have the senior drivers who can't see or hear or don't give a s--t. A railroad tie on the front of my truck with a well placed pick is my preferance.

avidflyr 3 - 88s.

------------------
THEO P.

Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avidflyr:

Hate to rain on the loud horn parade, but the law enforcement men consider scaring the s--t out of texting and cell phoning drivers to be a form of road rage and could actually escalate with a substance abuse driver. I Do have the same frustrations with the inconsiderate drivers. Here in Flori dah we also have the senior drivers who can't see or hear or don't give a s--t. A railroad tie on the front of my truck with a well placed pick is my preferance.

avidflyr 3 - 88s.

WTF?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckLS1:

If anyone else ask...
Alway get both. See my post... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103282.html (bottom post)
Two match set always sound better that one or two horn on same note or two on "wrong" note.

Add wire for 88.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post
I have one of the ( I think it called a Big Boys) horn from Harbor Freight. Cost is about 35 bucks on sale it cheaper. People will certainly hear you. Sometime the look on their faces is amazing to hear so much noise from such a small car
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Okay I'm convinced. Just ordered a pair of Delorean horns.

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock