Started on: 04-24-2010 10:18 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Isolde on 04-27-2010 04:24 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Doing the 4.9 / auto swap and I am using the Olds Silhouette inner tripots and axles. I have a used set of outer Fiero manual CV's. One is farily smooth and the other is rough. I dismanlted the rough one to find that there is a lot of grunge - rust built up on each of the balls, the cage and the inner sprocket. I used a fine wire wheel in my dremel and was able to clean most of the grunge off but a "stain" still remains. I do not see or can feel any pitting in any of the wear surfaces. Right now I have all the pieces in my brass tumbler with some walnut shells and jewler's rouge. If they polish out well, I am going to put it back together and run it. Does anyone have any experience with the CV joints - rebuilding, cleaning, disassembly, assembly, etc?

I am curious if the inner parts of the CV's are interchangable. For example, if I have a good condition Auto CV and I wanted to use the balls out of it for the manual CV, are they the same? Will the cage's interchange? I know the inner sprockets are different (axle size).

I thought I could buy a set of remanned Fiero manual axles and just swap the ends over to the Olds axles but I found that the remanned had the smaller axle diameter! I have several Fiero auto axles that are in good shape but only these 2 outer manual CV's. Hoping I can make to good manual CV's from all the spares I have. Thanks for any input.

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
So to clarify, are you needing outers, by the wheels, or inners, by the trans? And can't you find any at your local salvage yards, or Kick Hill?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

So to clarify, are you needing outers, by the wheels, or inners, by the trans? And can't you find any at your local salvage yards, or Kick Hill?

I need some outers. After cleaning the above, I reassembled and it is still rough I think the balls are sticking in the cage windows! I will try the mega pull tomorrow - There is an 87 GT there so I'll see what kind of shape the axles are in.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Pat call V8 Archie, he buys these ends. He builds his axles for the V8 conversions. I am sure he wouldn't mind offering some advise.
Joe
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Doing the 4.9 / auto swap and I am using the Olds Silhouette inner tripots and axles. I have a used set of outer Fiero manual CV's. One is farily smooth and the other is rough. I dismanlted the rough one to find that there is a lot of grunge - rust built up on each of the balls, the cage and the inner sprocket. I used a fine wire wheel in my dremel and was able to clean most of the grunge off but a "stain" still remains. I do not see or can feel any pitting in any of the wear surfaces. Right now I have all the pieces in my brass tumbler with some walnut shells and jewler's rouge. If they polish out well, I am going to put it back together and run it. Does anyone have any experience with the CV joints - rebuilding, cleaning, disassembly, assembly, etc?

I am curious if the inner parts of the CV's are interchangable. For example, if I have a good condition Auto CV and I wanted to use the balls out of it for the manual CV, are they the same? Will the cage's interchange? I know the inner sprockets are different (axle size).

I thought I could buy a set of remanned Fiero manual axles and just swap the ends over to the Olds axles but I found that the remanned had the smaller axle diameter! I have several Fiero auto axles that are in good shape but only these 2 outer manual CV's. Hoping I can make to good manual CV's from all the spares I have. Thanks for any input.

Pat

Those CV's are junk, toss them. The chrome is so badly worn off that none of the parts are good for anything. At least that is how the pics look?
You can use the outer CV race (the outer race with the axle spines) with any GM inner race (the star and female splines), balls and cage as long as they have the same number of balls. The after market stuff is probably crap, and wont be compatible with the GM assemblies for swapping out parts.
So that means you can use the outer CV of an auto and swap the manual CV balls and cage into the auto. You can use W body axles inside the Iron duke auto for custom axles for swaps.

------------------
[IMG][/IMG]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is a list of GM applications with outer CV's that match the Fiero Manual CV:

The newest versions are from:

Sunfire 97-99 4spd auto, 97-99 M/T, 00-05 all application (will have ABS ring - easily knocked off)
Cavalier 85-91, 95-96 4spd auto or M/T, 97-05 all applications (will have ABS ring)

Here is the complete list. For many of them, they were offered with the 29 or 32 spline like the fiero. The M/T and 4spd autos seem to be the main sources for the 32 spline races until after 2000 when they were used for all applications.

The 85-88 Fiero manual axle outboard CV is 87-9011. Applications with the same outboard CV (but might come with the ABS ring that can be removed) are:

Pontiac:
6000 87-89 with LD Brakes and 32 spline race
Grand Am 85-91 32 spline race
Sunbird 85-91 32 spline race
Sunfire 97-99 4spd auto, 97-99 M/T, 00-05 all application (will have ABS ring)

Buick:
Centry 87-89 with LD Brakes and 32 spline race
Skyhawk 85 M/T and 86 T-Type
Skylark 88-87 M/T
Somerset 85-87 32 spline race

Cadillac:
Cimerron 86 4 spd M/T and 87-88 M/T (86 5 speed is different)

Chevrolet:
Beretta/Corsica 87-96 with 32 spline race
Cavalier 85-91 and 95-05 with 32 spline race
Celebrity 86-90 LD brakes with 32 spline race

Oldsmobile:
Calais 85-91 with 32 spline race
Ciera 87-89 with LD Brakes and 32 spline race
Firenza 85-87 M/T with 32 spline race
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Rick, does that work the other way around? Like if the star comes from an A/T Fiero, then the TH125c and matching auto Fiero axles can be used in a Fiero with the M/T outer stubs/cups still in the uprights?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rick, does that work the other way around? Like if the star comes from an A/T Fiero, then the TH125c and matching auto Fiero axles can be used in a Fiero with the M/T outer stubs/cups still in the uprights?

Yes, you can use the smaller automatic "star and balls in the outer of a manual. But the reason for the modification is to use the larger axles that GM used in the 4 speed autos. They are the same diameter as the manual axles but you can find them in many different lengths.

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Info guys - I'd give you all pluses but I already have! With Fieroguru's list, I can find what I need at the mega pull. I have a address and number of a shop here in El Paso that rebuilds CV's. I will pay them a visit tomorrow and see what they want to rebuild these 2 I have. Thanks again everyne for all the info - Big Help!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-25-2010).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
My thanks, especially Katatak and Rick. I learned from this thread.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Some more tid bits I learned today.

I took a stock Fiero manual outer CV and a stock Fiero auto outer CV apart to day to compare parts - mainly out of curiosity. I had a though of using the ball bearings and outer cage out of the Auto in conjunction with the spider for the manual and maybe build one. I found out that the auto parts are smaller than the manual parts. For grins, I put the auto ball bearings in the manual with the manual cage and spdier. Although it goes together, it is "loose".

Left is auto - right is manual

Inards - Auto left - maunal right

It's hard to see but there is a difference

I have searched the internet for a place where I can buy the internal parts but only found a few "chinese" manufacturers of CV parts. I will take the 2 I have to a place tomorrow to see if they can rebuild them. If that fails, I'm taking "fieroguru's" list and going on a hunt. I'll post what I find.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-26-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair of 45,000-mile '84 Fiero manual outers I don't need, but I have no way to remove them from their uprights, which I also don't need. Should I try to get pics tomorrow?

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 04-26-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

I have a pair of 45,000-mile '84 Fiero manual outers I don't need, but I have no way to remove them from their uprights, which I also don't need. Should I try to get pics tomorrow?

Let me do some digging. I think the 84 manual is the same as the auto - 29 spline axle.

Pat
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure the '84 manual outers are the big ones. I've already removed the shafts from the CVs, just haven't counted splines yet.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008
I just counted mine. Both times I got 32 spline. And mine was built in the first quarter of the production run, based on the last 6 digits of the VIN.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock