Does anyone know what this is....? by White88Formula
Started on: 04-11-2010 07:32 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: fierosound on 04-13-2010 06:15 PM
White88Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea if this is supposed to be connected to something or what its for, Its been disconnected since Ive had the car from what I can remember

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
burntwood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for burntwoodSend a Private Message to burntwoodDirect Link to This Post
Where's the other end going to? Looks like it would be attached to the intake somewhere?

------------------
* 1984 Black Fiero SE (1995-1998) blown tranny - rest her soul
* 1988 Black Fiero Formula (2001-2004) Was to be a 3800SC, badly rusted rear frame.
* 1988 White Fiero GT (2009 - Present) This one's a keeper!

BL3200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BL3200Send a Private Message to BL3200Direct Link to This Post
Looks like the vacuum line from the brake system.
It should be connected to the rear side of the intake plenium.
Normally, if this is disconnected, your idle speed should be very high (over 2000 rpm).
Does your car brake normally?

------------------
Bernard
Fiero V6 GT 1987 (Manual)

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That looks like the PCV tube that was disconnected and bypassed as part of a GM recall. The replacement PCV tube goes to the intake hose just in front of the throttle body, instead of the air filter can.

edit to add: the vacuum line for the brake booster is the one below that goes down the center of the firewall.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-11-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Well idle when warm is 950 or so and there's one that's attached to the intake and the back of it is clamped to a metal tube on the firewall and brakes work just fine
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

White88Formula

434 posts
Member since Aug 2009
So it's gotta be a recall hose? Wonder what I was for before
daring4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daring4Send a Private Message to daring4Direct Link to This Post
The old PCV routing, like blacktree said, my 87 gt has the same pipe it goes to the air filter can. If you leave it unplugged you will pull unfiltered hot air into the engine. Plug it! I used a round piece of aluminum I had laying around to plug it.

[This message has been edited by daring4 (edited 04-11-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Hm ok, thanks as long as it doesnt need to go somewhere lol
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
If that tube goes into the valve cover, you can't just plug it; it's part of the PCV system.

EDIT: Wait, was that connected to anything at either end?

The PCV system is definitely something you want to keep operational.

You have to connect that tube to a source of filtered air, such as the stock air cleaner.

Alternatively, if you don't want to bother with running an air tube to the air cleaner, you can use a small dedicated crankcase breather air filter.

On my engine (I should get a more recent picture...), I put the PCV valve on the front valve cover, and the breather on the rear valve cover. The direction isn't important as long as you have some kind of positive ventilation going on.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 04-11-2010).]

daring4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daring4Send a Private Message to daring4Direct Link to This Post
Not wanting to argue but in the second picture of the OP the PCV tube is visible under the throttle cable. My car looks the same, but I have plugged that open line becuase it was the old PCV line that might spew engine oil on the paper filter, sometimes, causing the recall. If you leave it open air will be pulled in on the outside of the filter, bypassing it. Granted not much but makes sense to close it up.

Hey Pm, did you run the hose from the front valve cover to under the manifold where the stock one ran? If so that looks pretty sweet!

[This message has been edited by daring4 (edited 04-11-2010).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Well then, nevermind... I don't see anything much other than darkness in those pictures. I think it's time to get rid of my 8-year-old CRT computer monitor!
PFF
System Bot
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Yea the first picture shows it next to the hose already plugged into the manifold or valve cover whichever thats goin into and the second one shows it running all the way down to some metal tube so im thinking that youre right and it is an old recall tube that the just left on there and never plugged up
daring4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daring4Send a Private Message to daring4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by White88Formula:

Yea the first picture shows it next to the hose already plugged into the manifold or valve cover whichever thats goin into and the second one shows it running all the way down to some metal tube so im thinking that youre right and it is an old recall tube that the just left on there and never plugged up

Just to make sure, the large rubber hose from air cleaner to throttle body has a tube just before the t/b that goes to the front valve cover, right?
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
100% it is the old PCV tube and during the recall the hose was supposed to be removed and the metal line on the firewall capped.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
That line runs from the back valve cover to air cleaner. It is now redundant.

The recall installed a new tube from valve cover to rubber intake tube. Usually they remove the hose and install a rubber cap over the end of the metal tube. If it's open, you're getting unfiltered air being sucked through the tube bypassing the air filter.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

jsketcham

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamDirect Link to This Post
yep, cap that sucker, if you follow it, it just goes to the air cleaner on the outer side, hence allowing dirt and anything else that falls in its way to be sucked strait into the intake bypassing the air filter.
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
K, thats what everyones sayin so for the 3rd time lol Thanks, Ill have to take off the rubber and block the metal with somethin tomorrow....ty ty
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Just found this picture of the recall kit. You can see the new rubber intake tube and the valve-cover-to-intake metal tube that replaced it as well as the new exhaust and heat shield.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Just found this picture of the recall kit...

I wonder what the "official" way to cap the unused breather tube was supposed to be?

When I bought my '86 GT a couple of years ago I found that the old breather tube was not capped and the engine had been sucking in unfiltered air through it for a couple of decades.

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Yea I just took off the old hose and temporarily capped it by taking inch wide electrical tape X'ing it over the top of the whole then taking another piece and wrapping it around the X so it doesnt come off
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I followed up with a new thread. Should be made a "sticky" https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/107973.html#p1
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock