Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Where do I find mounting studs for attaching something like a spoiler?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Where do I find mounting studs for attaching something like a spoiler? by Patrick
Started on: 03-25-2010 05:25 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Patrick on 03-27-2010 02:23 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I need a longer one of these...

I included the 10mm 3/8" drive socket just to show some scale. I need a mounting stud with the fine threaded part to be about 1 1/2" long to mount a custom spoiler. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm not sure where to buy parts of this nature.

While I'm at it, what do I "glue" the stud with when I screw the course threaded part of it into the threaded mount of the spoiler?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
You can take your vise grips to your nearest salvage yard, that's the easiest way to find more.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

You can take your vise grips to your nearest salvage yard, that's the easiest way to find more.

Well, it's not a simple matter of just requiring "more", I need a couple that are longer. It might be worth my while just to go buy a couple (wherever they might be sold) as opposed to looking over dozens (hundreds?) of wrecked cars hoping to find what I need.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I used threaded rod, cut to length to make studs.

Then, I "glued" the studs into the holes using epoxy.

I roughened up the threaded rods with a grinder, so that the epoxy would grip better, to prevent them from spinning.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I used threaded rod, cut to length to make studs.

So you don't think I should worry about getting "proper" studs then, one end with machine threads for a nut, and one end with course threads for the spoiler?

Yeah, I guess that would work. Thanks.

Of course, I'm still hoping someone will post and tell me that Home Depot has exactly what I need in the hardware department for 53 cents.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
The Ace Hardware speed shop, works for me
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Well, here is what I have used in the past... they are wood anchor screws. They have course wood screw on one half and machine threads on the other. Ace Hardware should have them. They are not direct replacements, but they will work.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Well, here is what I have used in the past... they are wood anchor screws. They have course wood screw on one half and machine threads on the other.

Like this?

Yeah, that'll do the trick if I can't find the "proper" mounting stud. Thanks.

Despite Ace Hardware being mentioned twice, I'm still going to check out Home Depot for these wood anchor screws.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I made my own one time but for a different application. I used a long wood screw and screwed it down into one side of my project. Then I used my dremmel to cut the cross-tip head off of it and sharpen that end. Then I just inserted it into a pilot hole in the other piece and twisted them together. Worked like a charm.

Jonathan
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Jonathan, glad it worked but I have no idea what you're talking about.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that is the one. You can get them at Home Depot also.... In my case, Ace is about 6 minutes from home and the big box stores are about 1.5 hrs away.

J.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Like this?

Yeah, that'll do the trick if I can't find the "proper" mounting stud. Thanks.

Despite Ace Hardware being mentioned twice, I'm still going to check out Home Depot for these wood anchor screws.

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do, I wouldn't install old rusty studs from a junkyard.
As the studs rust, they expand, which can cause the wingstands' mounting bosses to split open. (happened to my wingstands, which is what prompted me to replace the original studs with something else)

Those Home Depot ones look like a good choice, although if you're anal about keeping things factory (I am to an extent) you might have a hard time finding them in metric to fit the stock nuts.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 03-26-2010).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Jonathan, glad it worked but I have no idea what you're talking about.

It was kinda hard to describe but I'll try again. My wife broke the handle off of her favorite hairbrush. She asked me to try to fix it. I drilled a pilot hole into the handle and one into the brush head. Then I took a big wood screw and screwed it into the brush head about half the length of the screw. Then I used my dremmel cut-off wheel to cut the head of the screw off. Then I continued using the same wheel as a grinder and sharpened the end of the screw. Then I just inserted that into the hairbrush handle and twisted it on.

Jonathan
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Then I just inserted that into the hairbrush handle and twisted it on.

Jonathan, I'll keep your method of attachment in mind if I ever wish to mount a hairbrush handle on the back of my decklid.
hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
im sort of fond of that hairbrush idea ,should go well with those girlly wheels.
but what i generally do is weld some threaded rod on to the old studs..
works for me .
clynt
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Jonathan, I'll keep your method of attachment in mind if I ever wish to mount a hairbrush handle on the back of my decklid.

You know you could make a giant comb out of a rear spoiler wing! LOL

Jonathan

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hellbentkrusty:

im sort of fond of that hairbrush idea ,should go well with those girlly wheels.

Krusty strikes again.
"girlly wheels", eh? .......

Ahem... for those of you who haven't figured it out, Clynt belongs to the same Fiero club as I do here in Vancouver. He's a helpful ol' grump, so I let him get away with this nonsense.

Originally posted by hellbentkrusty:

but what i generally do is weld some threaded rod on to the old studs..
works for me .

That's a great idea. Volunteering your welder, Krusty? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-27-2010).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36441 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

You know you could make a giant comb out of a rear spoiler wing! LOL

I can see it now... a giant comb mounted on two hairbrush handles. This is something for 85SEnochie to create in one of his photoshopping threads.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock