ECU reader by My1stMidEng
Started on: 03-22-2010 06:58 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Drotar on 05-01-2010 03:23 PM
My1stMidEng

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post
I finally got my 88 v6 running - runing like crap though. The idle is around 1500 cold and will not accelerate. 2500 when hot. It must be throwing codes because the check engine light stays on. I was going to ground the B pin and see if I get a code 12 but beyond that I need a reader. This is my first car of this age so I've got to ask. Is someone like AutoZone going to have the equipment to read this ECU?

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Most Autozones aren't going to bother with anything older than 96 - in fact many now may not know HOW to read an older GM code (although it would be fun to watch them try and find the connector on a Fiero ). You can read the codes yourself, it's easy!

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

If you can read a code 12, you can read the rest, too.

Now if you want to see what individual sensors are doing while the car is running, you'll need WinALDL

http://winaldl.joby.se/

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
You just got to do the WinALDL. Not for the codes right away but you have to do it before too long. Want to know what the sensors are saying while you're driving down the road? Make that the wife can see what it says while you're driving down the road. Or maybe you let her drive your car?

My1stMidEng

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link.

I had error codes 21 & 23. 21 being the TPS so I ohmed it out and sure enough it was bad. I got a new one and that fixed 23 also.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I saved the list posted above on my Blackberry for future reference.

If you get a chance, print it out and keep it in the center console or something - it will prove itself helpful after a while.
Drotar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrotarClick Here to visit Drotar's HomePageSend a Private Message to DrotarDirect Link to This Post
Hey My1stMidEng,
On my oil question post you asked me how much it is to swap a stock engine. The engine was about $1,500 and the labor was about $1,100 I spent about $400 in little stuff like plugs, wires, belts, ect.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock