Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Isuzu 5 speed behind 2.8; shift cable placement?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Isuzu 5 speed behind 2.8; shift cable placement? by Justin_J
Started on: 03-17-2010 06:13 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Eclipse on 03-22-2010 03:18 PM
Justin_J

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
So I know a guy who said that when he put an Isuzu 5 speed behind (or next to lol) his 2.8, he had to run the shift cables over the top of the air intake tube, and then make a bracket to keep them out of the way of the throttle body. Said this is due to the fact that the Isuzu was designed for the iron duke, and so they go in at a different angle. Is there a way around having to do this? Because if for no other reason not to do it, it would be UGLY!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
There are three ways to avoid the UGLY. Getrag, 4 speed Muncie, or Automatic.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I went under the tube on mine. It works just fine, though it's a little tight to install it this way. Sorry the picture isn't better.

Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
haha ok. thanks for the picture. by the way...no offense about the ugly part lol. doesn't look as bad as i thought. I would like to have a five speed in my car, and isuzu would definitely be doable price and attainability wise for me. How do you like the isuzu with the 2.8? performance and durability and such...ever give you any issues?
Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post

Justin_J

242 posts
Member since Nov 2007
bloozberry: same question to you about the isuzu...good choice for the 2.8 in your opinion? and also do you have any issues with the cables interfering with the throttle linkage?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I had some interference problems. In my pic you can see some of the wrap is missing. That's where I had nylon cable ties around it and through the metal bracket. They're removed in that pic because I had just changed plugs.

I've had 2 85GT's with the Isuzu swap. Both of them have made a considerable number of hard runs during Run For The Hills and the scouting runs to prepare for them. Never any issues on my part, but I don't dump the clutch. One of them has over 100K miles on it after the install into the V6.

First gear on the Isuzu is a little short. It gets you moving. Because of the ratio, the engine will rev quickly requiring you to shift to second a little quicker than the other 2 manuals. Second and Third are pretty good. You can run up to about 60-65 pretty easily in third. That's often where I run during our mountain excursions.

On the first one, we went under the tube like Bloozberry, but it put a hard bend in the cable right at the long metal end. Made it very hard to shift, so we moved it over the top. That's the one with over 100K miles. But Blooz isn't the only one that's went under without any problems.

In the swap, remember, you'll need to get a throwout bearing for the Isuzu. Bearings are specific to the transmissions.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
An earlier discussion of the same thing:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104921.html

Many people dislike the 1-2 gear spacing, which is indeed slightly greater than the getrag or muncie, but I don't mind it.

I dump the clutch on a regular basis with it (mated to a 2.8), 2 years and counting...

I'm pretty easy on synchronizers though since I double-clutch downshift, so I can't speak regarding their abuse resistance.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
'85 2.8 Izzy. I do the cables under, not over. I've been happy with the setup.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I ran mine under s well. 3 years and no problems...

------------------
Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a better picture today and post it so you can see how I've run them and what sorts of clearances there are around the throttle quadrant... but I haven't had any problems whatsoever. As for gear ratios, I think it works just fine with the 2.8.
Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I'll take a better picture today and post it so you can see how I've run them and what sorts of clearances there are around the throttle quadrant... but I haven't had any problems whatsoever. As for gear ratios, I think it works just fine with the 2.8.

thanks, that would be very helpful.
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
As promised, here's two views of the Isuzu cables on my 2.8. I had no problem routing them far enough away from the throttle quadrant to be safe. They do rub up tight against the bottom of the CAI tube though, but that's no biggie since there's no relative movement between the two.

Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. Yeah that looks really good. Thanks a bunch!
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Yup! That's how mine looks too!

------------------
Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay