Started on: 03-13-2010 03:22 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: josef644 on 03-14-2010 11:28 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Afternoon folks!

I can't seem to wrap my swap challenged mind around what I need to do to mount the idler. I have the 90 Astro w/o AC idler pulley. I scrounged around the junk yard looking for some type of mount but could not find anything suitable. I read Mickey's and Jose's thread and did not find any detail on how the pulley is mounted. Is as simple as a larger bolt, some spacers, etc? Do I need a special shoulder type bolt? I'm lost..... Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Pat, I removed the mount for the idler pulley from the Cadillac belt tensioner with a hack saw.
The stub is the correct dimension for the new idler pulley mounting hole.
I drilled out the stub so a 10mm bolt would go threw the center.

This was just short of 1/2". Some one here posted the space behind the pulley was about 1/2". Measuring the base of the stub, I added two flat washers behind it to make up 1/2".

This bolt threads into the upright brace behind the water pump housing etc, while the lower end of the brace mounted to the AC compressor. Notice that I had to remove a bit off of one water pump bolt

Jam nut on the back so the bolt doesn't back out and get loose

I had noticed that the off set wasn't the same on both sides of the pulley, one way was just a bit different. You might need to try both ways to see which way is best for your set up.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-13-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Well great minds think alike Joe!

After roaming around the hardware stores and auto parts stores looking for something I could use as a hub or a shoulder bolt, etc etc. I basically did the same thing. I cut the hub off the original Caddy tensioner then drilled it all the way through and the tapped it with a 3/8" x 16 tap - I don't have any metric taps - then I went and picked up a 2.5" long grade 8 allen head bolt, some washers and a nylock nut. Then I drilled out the factory nut on the brace for the AC pump so that the 3/8" bolt would slip through from the back side, used some washers for sapcers and threaded the "hub" onto the bolt from the front. Then use a flat washer and the nylock to hold the pulley on the hub. After I got it all together, I discovered that I will need a 3" long bolt and I will drill out the original large cupped washer for the idler and install it before the nylock.

After looking at yours, I think yours is simpler and easier. I thought I had a really great idea here only to find out it's already been done. Thanks for posting it Joe - confirms that I am going in the right direction.

Here's a few shots of my version:

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I am sure someone else has a different method to do this, I would be interested in seeing a few other methods to accomplish the same objective
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I think I found one of those threaded rods with a flange nut welded onto it. So the nut would fit inside the bearing but the flange would keep the pulley from backing off, then using a washer on the other side of the pulley.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam (212,000 Miles)
1992 Honda Accord LX (196,000 Miles) 5spd

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I managed to get it all mounted up and the belt on around dark......Now I have to get the right belt - this one is too long. I tried the AZ 798K6 and thought it was too short so I went and picked up this 805K6. I'll have to see if they have an 802K6? Thanks for the help!

Pat
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I am sure someone else has a different method to do this, I would be interested in seeing a few other methods to accomplish the same objective

I found a brass bushing laying around that worked for me and cut some tubing the correct length:

Ideally, I was going to machine a standoff that fit the bearing and spaced the pulley out - but so far haven't done that...
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I found a brass bushing laying around that worked for me and cut some tubing the correct length:

Ideally, I was going to machine a standoff that fit the bearing and spaced the pulley out - but so far haven't done that...

I took the pulleys to a hardware store and never did find a bushing that fit right. That's why I ended up using the 'stub' off the Caddie belt tensioner

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock