Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Baking intake parts for cleaning and painting.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Baking intake parts for cleaning and painting. by Seanpaul
Started on: 03-10-2010 01:16 AM
Replies: 32
Last post by: randye on 03-12-2010 06:16 PM
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
So I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about baking the intake parts to:

#1 harden the carbon on the inside.
#2 heat to make paint stick to the out side.

I have striped all the paint off the intake so it's down to the raw aluminum. And as I was thinking of painting it, a hard chunk of carbon deposit fell out.
I scarped what I could reach, cleaned with acetone, and brake cleaner...but hard carbon deposits keep falling out, and I don't want to put it on my new engine!

So I was talking to a friend at a machine shop and he said to put it on the oven at broil for an hour, then take it out and let naturally cool.
He said most of the crap should fall out. But I'm afraid to do this because I know aluminum can warp. Anyone done this before??

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
If you cover shipping I will send you out a bead blasted intake set (I get your old one). Its ready for paint and has no carbon inside.
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
ohh wow that sounds like a good deal!
You got any pics?

I would defiantly consider that option. I'm in 95492
How did you get rid of the carbon, with bead blasting?
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Seanpaul:

So I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about baking the intake parts to:

#1 harden the carbon on the inside.
#2 heat to make paint stick to the out side.

I have striped all the paint off the intake so it's down to the raw aluminum. And as I was thinking of painting it, a hard chunk of carbon deposit fell out.
I scarped what I could reach, cleaned with acetone, and brake cleaner...but hard carbon deposits keep falling out, and I don't want to put it on my new engine!

So I was talking to a friend at a machine shop and he said to put it on the oven at broil for an hour, then take it out and let naturally cool.
He said most of the crap should fall out. But I'm afraid to do this because I know aluminum can warp. Anyone done this before??

I used "TALSTRIP" brand gel paint remover.
I filled the inside of the upper intake plenum with it and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
Hosed it out and it looked like it just came from the casting foundry. Bright clean cast aluminum. Not a trace of carbon.

I then spray painted the manifold and my valve covers with VHT high temp aerosol and when dry I shot it with Duplicolor clear wheel paint, (several coats).
They then went into the oven @ 200 degrees for 60 minutes.
Removed and allowed to air cool, and VOILA!

Same internal cleaning process with the middle and lower intake manifolds but I skipped the clear gloss coat and oven bake on them when I painted them.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-10-2010).]

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
ohh wow. that's beautiful!

When done with the paint, how did you get the tops of the valve cover and intake shaved back to the aluminum?
Problem with the painting is I louse that half paint, half aluminum look.

And what Color (brand and code) did you use?

[This message has been edited by Seanpaul (edited 03-10-2010).]

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Seanpaul

1320 posts
Member since Mar 2003
bump.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

ohh wow. that's beautiful!

When done with the paint, how did you get the tops of the valve cover and intake shaved back to the aluminum?
Problem with the painting is I louse that half paint, half aluminum look.

And what Color (brand and code) did you use?

You just sand the red paint off , sanding in one direction only..lengthwise... along the raised ribs before you seal everything with clear.
The clear coat helps prevent the bare aluminum from oxidizing.

I used VHT brand, "Universal Red" and clearcoated with Duplicolor clear wheel paint.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-10-2010).]

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

You just sand the red paint off , sanding in one direction only..lengthwise... along the raised ribs before you seal everything with clear.
The clear coat helps prevent the bare aluminum from oxidizing.

I used VHT brand, "Universal Red" and clearcoated with Duplicolor clear wheel paint.

What grit sand paper?

When used Duplicolor years ago, after a year or so of engine heat it tinted brown. Leaving my aluminum looking dirty.

[This message has been edited by Seanpaul (edited 03-11-2010).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

how did you remove the tb warmer tube from the t stat housing?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Cut them off with a carbide bit in a die grinder.
Weld the holes closed.
Grind them smooth and then paint....

You noticed *that* but didn't notice anything about the upper intake??

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-11-2010).]

Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Beautiful! Next question: What oil pan is that? The fitting on the side looks like a perfect place for an oil temperature probe.
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Beautiful! Next question: What oil pan is that? The fitting on the side looks like a perfect place for an oil temperature probe.

Its the stock 3.4 oil pan, (95 Camaro if I recall correctly).
That port had a low oil level sensor in it, but was a perfect fit for a short M12 bolt with a rubber seal washer.
Not sure, but I suppose you could use the 3.4 oil pan on a 2.8, (with the proper late model timing cover), and the requisite adjustments to the dipstick length.
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Can you do that? I mean doesn't the TB warmer help warm the fuel for better combustion?
Would be cool to get rid of it, anythign to clean up the engine.

BTW: is that a 3.4 or 2.8?

ohh PS. What grit sand paper did you use to clean off the paint on top of the valve covers?

[This message has been edited by Seanpaul (edited 03-11-2010).]

DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't matter really unless where you live gets pretty cold during the winter.
Here in Oklahoma we never get iced TB's,though I do run across a few IAC's that have gotten iced every year.
The iced IAC's are generally intake mounted and not TB mounted.
The TB ports on my tgp engine will be deleted.
I'm basically going to just leave the plate with th ports off the bottom of the TB when I mount it up.
There is just an empty space that coolant stays in and circulates through,mine has a gasket and plate over it.

I'm considering piping the cooler liquid charge from my liquid/air intercooler through it to see if it makes a difference.
I'm just going to test when I get everything in to see if it makes a difference.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
This:

Plus:

Equals

Did my intake the same. Holding up so far.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Easy off oven cleaner works great on grease and carbon build up. Spray it on, let it foam and sit about 30 minutes and then rinse. Not the nicest thing for painted surfaces, but perfect when you plan to repaint them.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Can you do that? I mean doesn't the TB warmer help warm the fuel for better combustion?
Would be cool to get rid of it, anythign to clean up the engine.

BTW: is that a 3.4 or 2.8?

ohh PS. What grit sand paper did you use to clean off the paint on top of the valve covers?

I am not sure what GM had in mind when the designed those tubes to the throttle body.
It does absolutely nothing to warm the fuel, (the fuel comes in through the injectors).
The incoming air flows so fast through the throttle body that I can't believe it would be warmed appreciably by the added heat.
My *guess* is that it was added to prevent icing, but even that really shouldn't be a problem with all the ambient heat in the engine compartment.
The throttle body gets *plenty* warm sitting above the exhaust "Y-pipe"

It's a 3.4 that I built.

I'm sorry I don't recall what grits of sanding media I used, but you can make the bare aluminum as brushed, or as smooth, as your personal taste dictates.
The only caveat is that the manifold and valve covers are cast aluminum and you will have a a lot of pits and imperfections if you attempt to highly polish them.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

I am not sure what GM had in mind when the designed those tubes to the throttle body.
My *guess* is that it was added to prevent icing, but even that really shouldn't be a problem ...

See this thread for a discussion of the issue. The purpose is to prevent throttle plate icing that could prevent the butterfly from closing completely, and it's far more likely to occur at moderate ambient temperatures than when it's below freezing. Think "uncontrolled, unintended acceleration" here ... a symptom somewhat similar to Toyota's current problems.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-11-2010).]

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
ltlfrari I'm highly interested in this!
Can you post more detailed directions?

Low/Med/High on BBQ? Temp if available? How long?

Is the product "VHT Wrinkle Plus in red" ??

I don't think the local stores here sell VHT products.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

See this thread for a discussion of the issue. The purpose is to prevent throttle plate icing that could prevent the butterfly from closing completely, and it's far more likely to occur at moderate ambient temperatures than when it's below freezing. Think "uncontrolled, unintended acceleration" here ... a symptom somewhat similar to Toyota's current problems.

Thanks Marvin.
Just as I assumed.
I'm still thinking that conducted and radiated heat in the engine compartment warms the entire throttle body sufficiently to preclude icing.
The throttle body is likely never really "heat soaked" as the variations of air flow through it would probably cause some temperature variation between closed and WOT operation.
It seems counterintuitive, but doubtless true, that closed or partially open throttle plate position would create a lower local temperature at the "venturi" with less mass air flow through the throttle body than it might at WOT.
Considering the safety issues involved, I understand GM adding the lines. I just hadn't heard of any throttle plate icing issues with the Fiero, so to clean up some of the clutter, I removed them.
I have not experienced any problems with the modification, but I also allow my car to warm up a *lot* before driving it.
I have noticed an occasional odd problem at idle, (when the IAC is in control), but have not previously thought to correlate it to relative humidity.

Nazareth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
Do not exceed 400 degrees on aluminum parts. Not only will they warp but the microstructure of the metal weakens and can crack.
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
The best and easy way I found to bring to bare any intake part is to take it to your local machine shop and ask them to "hot tank" it. They will charge you a minimal fee well worth the time/pain to do any other method. Parts come totally clean of everything and ready to paint or powder coat.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nazareth:

Do not exceed 400 degrees on aluminum parts. Not only will they warp but the microstructure of the metal weakens and can crack.

Plus it will really make your paint that you're trying to *cure* look just awful...
I noted 200 degrees F for curing the paint, but thanks for the heads-up.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't matter how long you let the car warm up. The throttle body may never heat soak as long as there is cold air flowing through it.

In certain conditions, I have had IAC icing which restricted movement of the IAC pintle (and left me with a high idle), even after running the car 1/2 hour (having reached normal operating temp long ago). Once warm though, an engine shutdown of a minute or so was enough for engine heat to melt the ice. Restarting after this allowed my idle to drop to normal.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

It doesn't matter how long you let the car warm up. The throttle body may never heat soak as long as there is cold air flowing through it.

In certain conditions, I have had IAC icing which restricted movement of the IAC pintle (and left me with a high idle), even after running the car 1/2 hour (having reached normal operating temp long ago). Once warm though, an engine shutdown of a minute or so was enough for engine heat to melt the ice. Restarting after this allowed my idle to drop to normal.

I think most all of my driving here in Florida probably falls within the area defined in red on this chart:

I suppose icing is a potential problem, but I honestly have had no evidence of it, other than the possibility of the occasional odd idle issue I previously mentioned.
It could also be that because I've installed a CAI with K&N filter that all sits *inside* the engine compartment, that I'm sucking up much warmer air, (especially at idle), than I otherwise would be with the ducting connected outside the engine compartment.

Edit to add: I actually think the operational envelope I defined is probably "generous" to say the least. My car is not a daily driver.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I'm sorry, I didn't hear what kind of BBQ sauce you used??
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Looking at this picture is like looking at a centerfold!

WOW!!

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post

ltlfrari I'm highly interested in this!
Can you post more detailed directions?

Low/Med/High on BBQ? Temp if available? How long?

Is the product "VHT Wrinkle Plus in red" ??

I don't think the local stores here sell VHT products.

Just use like regular paint, clean the part and polish the flat parts that are to remain unpainted then mask and apply the paint.
I think I had the barbie pretty low. You just need to make sure NOT to leave them on there too long else the paint will burn/blacken. The rocker covers did slightly but I also did the intake and it's a lot better because I didn't leave it on as long.

Yes, it's the VHT Wrinkle Plus in red. There's a black as well. I couldn't fond it locally and was looking at buying online, then noticed the place I was about to order from was just down the road, so off I toddled.

The only down side is that because it's a mat finish it seems to be a little porous, so if you stick your oily finger on the surface you will end up with a mark that's hard to impossible to remove. I like it though as something a little different.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnDirect Link to This Post
To propose an answer to Randye's question above, what I notice about the intake plenum, other than the beautiful paint, is that the casting part lines have been ground smooth. It makes for quite a good impression. Subtle but effective.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kennn:

To propose an answer to Randye's question above, what I notice about the intake plenum, other than the beautiful paint, is that the casting part lines have been ground smooth. It makes for quite a good impression. Subtle but effective.

Ken

BINGO!
I'm glad someone noticed.

I should have removed the casting part lines from the middle manifold too, but I got tired of grinding!!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-12-2010).]

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
In this state (pretty bare) I have to say that the 2.8 is a pretty decent looking engine (especially this one!):

The problem is that by the time you get all the accessories, wires, hoses and other junk installed and hooked up, it looks like a pile of vomit!
I'm pretty sure the designers had some sort of competition to see how crap they could make the motor look.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Be careful with the "Hot Tank" and also oven cleaner.
Both use caustic cleaners which react with the aluminum,usually causing sulfur dioxide and etching/melting the part.
So if you leave it on a few hours or overnight in a tank you likely will have just a mess on your hands (or nothing from a hot tank).

I use muriatic acid diluted with water,and allow it to sit and burn a minute and rinse it off with water.
Foaming wire wheel cleaner is good also,but contains some of the same acids so be careful and don't breathe it in after you spray it on.
This is stuff I use to clean the outside of aluminum,helps alot on the inside also.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

In this state (pretty bare) I have to say that the 2.8 is a pretty decent looking engine (especially this one!):

The problem is that by the time you get all the accessories, wires, hoses and other junk installed and hooked up, it looks like a pile of vomit!
I'm pretty sure the designers had some sort of competition to see how crap they could make the motor look.

You're right.
I was really pleased with the look of my 3.4 at that point, but the more parts that got added, the more "busy" it got.
I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to simplify things, but the overall Fiero engine really could use some major clean-up as far as bracketry, hoses, wiring and accessories go.
I just did the best I could at the time to keep thinks neat and clean.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock