How to tow a Fiero with a pickup truck? by FieroFury33
Started on: 03-03-2010 10:45 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: josef644 on 03-06-2010 02:13 PM
FieroFury33

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
OK, I have to go pick up a Fiero from Miami this weekend with my buddys Dodge Truck. I remember towing my Integra with my 300ZX before but a buddy had set up either a rope or a chain connection, cant remember, my buddy was in the integra pressing the brakes behind me at lights and stops.

What do you guys suggest? Any help would be appreciated, tow truck out of the question.

I've also been "pushed" by a pickup all the way home in a different Integra, wow, and it was REALLY REALLY far and at about 4-5am on a saturday night. But that seems too ghetto, the towing with a chain seems much better, except for the brake thing.

[This message has been edited by FieroFury33 (edited 03-03-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Rent a tow dolly... Remove front bumper from Fiero, reverse onto said dolly, lock steering wheel in place, drive home.
stinky817

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stinky817Send a Private Message to stinky817Direct Link to This Post
if you get a low enough dolly you don't really have to worry about removing the bumper, i've never ripped a bumper off on any of the fieros i've towed with a dolly... but as the previous poster said, reverse onto the dolly... lock it down, and drive away
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
a strong rope. and someone inside the fiero pushing the brake pedal :P
i did it once... very sketchy. i did it at 5am.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Went a tow dolley and tow it by its back wheels and brace the steering wheel. DO NOT FLAT TOW IT. I dont know the laws down in FL but up here flat towing a car is a good way to get your licence suspended and a vey high fine.
FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Went a tow dolley and tow it by its back wheels and brace the steering wheel. DO NOT FLAT TOW IT. I dont know the laws down in FL but up here flat towing a car is a good way to get your licence suspended and a vey high fine.

Damn, I thought PA was supposed to be crime ridden? Theres so much goiing on in Miami and even in my city that the last thing the cops care about is an illegal tow. Plus the fine is less than speeding.

Strong rope will have to do then like poster above said. I think it was a rope that towed the Integra. My friends truck is a V6 manual

The Fiero also has a dead battery so I will bring mine along so the car can have a horn at least in case my friend brakes too soon.

[This message has been edited by FieroFury33 (edited 03-03-2010).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Really shouldn't flat tow with a rope.

Dolly towing is no problem unless you use a really low tow vehicle, then sometimes the ramps can get close to GFX. No need to remove nose tho.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 03-03-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
luckily you arent doing the towing with an Explorer lol, uHaul wont rent a dolly if you drive an Explorer, no matter what youre towing. get a dolly, works great and way easy (unless vehicle to be towed is a 92 ranger with a shot tranny in a tight spot.... had to thow on the parking brake, line up the dolly, and slam in the gas while in reverse in the Isuzi Trooper we borrowed to slide the dolly under the front wheels lol :P)
thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Direct Link to This Post
UHaul. You can rent a car mover for the same price as a tow dolly, around 50.00. As long as it is being pulled with a truck rated at 1/2 ton or bigger you will be fine, and alot safer than the chain or a tow dolly. If you must pull it, and it runs, go slow and make sure it is running, otherwise the more you press the brakes, the harder it is going to be to push them without the power assist. Also, if it is an auto, pulling it a very long distance at all you run a risk of damaging the tranny since there is no fluid being pumped around the the clutches in the tranny, even though it is in neutral. It would also be a good idea to remove the front facia, as there isn't really any good tow points under the car, unless you hook it up to an a arm, and that applies undue stress to that side of the suspension.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
One of the best ways to tow plus you and your friend get to ride up front

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 03-03-2010).]

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Really shouldn't flat tow with a rope.

Dolly towing is no problem unless you use a really low tow vehicle, then sometimes the ramps can get close to GFX. No need to remove nose tho.

Those are some great pictures!! I love seeing a clean 6000!!
PFF
System Bot
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
If it has an auto trans then you have to tow by the back wheels. I towed my GT 5-speed a few weeks ago by the front wheels with the car in neutral. There is no problem having the drive wheels on the ground when you have a manual transmission. Just my $.02.
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I always use a flat bed. Either a flat bed trailer or truck. I would never use a non ridged support. There are reason for laws against chains and ropes. I use to complain about "the safety police" laws, but have changed my mind. I have seen chains and ropes brake sending cars free. I have seen the lead car get smashed by the chained car not stopping and the crazy one was standing on the sidewalk and having a ball brake. If it wasn't for the safety back up chains, I would have been taken out by a big boat on a trailer. What ever you do, do it right.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

One of the best ways to tow plus you and your friend get to ride up front

for some stupid reason here those things are not allowed
SlowGuitarMan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowGuitarManSend a Private Message to SlowGuitarManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

luckily you arent doing the towing with an Explorer lol, uHaul wont rent a dolly if you drive an Explorer, no matter what youre towing.

You must've went to the wrong place. When I was driving my Fiero home after buying it, the main belt broke, so I had to get towed the rest of the way. My mom and dad picked me up using a Uhaul dolly that was attached to...an Explorer.

I will go with everyone else and say that a Uhaul dolly is a good idea. It was $35 to rent one, and it's easy and safe. And the front fascia didn't hit anywhere even in the hills and potholes of West Virginia.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I dont really know how to tow a fiero with a truck...

But i do know how to tow a truck with a fiero... The owner of said truck was too embarrassed to let me take pictures..

Long story short, i flat towed a 4000 car 50 miles with my fiero one day... was quite fun.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFury33:

Damn, I thought PA was supposed to be crime ridden? Theres so much goiing on in Miami and even in my city that the last thing the cops care about is an illegal tow. Plus the fine is less than speeding.

Strong rope will have to do then like poster above said. I think it was a rope that towed the Integra. My friends truck is a V6 manual

The Fiero also has a dead battery so I will bring mine along so the car can have a horn at least in case my friend brakes too soon.

Man, you're really asking for trouble doing a flat tow, but if you have to do it... I suppose. I would take some back roads though... and go really slow. Are you going to be towing it from Miami to Hollywood? That's a 30 minute drive, with a lot of traffic and snow birds...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i wouldnt flat tow it that far. when i did it. it was a 5 min drive and i took back roads. and my friend did most of the braking to keep the rope tight. anyways.
thats a long drive to tow the car like that.
i towed the car my dads old mini van. (shhhh. he doesnt know. so keep it down :P)
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I also recommend a tow dolly. However, if you use one, you should re-check your tie downs after a mile or two, then again after 20 miles or so. The straps WILL loosen.
FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
82-TA, yeah I planned on taking backroads.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
if you are going to do it that way. i suggest you do it at night time. or very very early morning 3am early. hardly any cars. its dark so they may not see the rope. and make sure the rope is long enough so it doesnt look like your tail gating the car that is towing you.
have the lights turned on so it looks like your not being towed. and keep the rope tight. dont want slack and then the car speed up and rip something off his or your car.
PFF
System Bot
FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
^Yeah I've done it before but I was the tower. I plan on bringing my fiero battery to give the car life on the trip. It will probably be a 25 minute ride since we will be going slow.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I hope the Fiero is a manual. Flat Towing an auto may/will ruin the transmission.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I have been flat towed in my Fiero about 250 miles total unfortunately. If you have somebody in the truck that know what they are doing its cake. One time I had my gf in my blazer towing me in my Fiero, wow that was scary. I thought both my vehicles were going to get wrecked in the same crash!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id ONLY use a chain or tow strap in an emergency to move a car a few miles at most. I had my own dolly. If your cars a stick, put the front wheels on it, if its an auto rears MUST be on it to keep from burning up the trans. I towed my stick Ferrari kit and GT40 kits all over the US on my dolly with no problems at all with fronts up. If you can put the fronts on the dolly, you dont have to worry about it swinging around, or hood or deck lid blowing open and tearing it off the car. Always recheck your straps within a few miles at first then every hour or so along the way.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

I have flat towed a Fiero many times without a problem - granted the Fiero was on a flat bed trailer.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
In regards to towing a Fiero with a truck, there may or may not be something of relevance in the following thread...

How does a tow bar connect to a Fiero?

Originally posted by joshh44:

...and keep the rope tight. dont want slack and then the car speed up and rip something off his or your car.

If you haven't seen this video, ya gotta watch it!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-06-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Also the problem with flat towing a non running fiero is the brakes on a fiero need to have a vachume running to it. You will get 1 pump of the brakes than they will go stiff as a rock and will not stop. Trust me spend the extra money and get a tow dolley. Flat towing is just an accident waiting to happen.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Towing with a rope or chain at highway speeds is very dangerous. Remember, the Fiero brakes are power brakes and don't work well unless the engine is running. Towing on local streets and roads might be safer because of the lower speed limits.

I don't know if the law has changed or not, but here at one time, you had to have at least a 10 foot chain. It had to be run through a steel pipe. The purpose was to stop the towed vehicle from running underneath the towing vehicle. If the pipe was about 2-3 feet shorter than the chain, that might work for you.

If you want to load onto a tow dolly with the front wheels up, place a 2 x 4, 2 x 6 or even a brick underneath the end of each ramp. That will usually elevate the nose of the GT's enough to prevent scraping. A 2 foot length of 2x6 works best. Be sure to carry them with you for offloading.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Here's some old school. Didn't see anybody post about it but use a chain and run it threw a pipe 2.5"-3", make the end connection tight so the pipe won't slide much. Less chance of rear ending. Be careful.

Sorry someone did post about the pipe.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

[This message has been edited by Lilchief (edited 03-05-2010).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I drove 1200 miles to Port St Lucie, Florida and towed this one home. I didn't remove the front fascia. It suffered no damage for the trip.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-05-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
Why would flat towing an automatic damage the tranny? Even in Neutral?
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFury33:

Why would flat towing an automatic damage the tranny? Even in Neutral?

An automatic transmission uses a pump to circulate fluid through the transmission. The pump turns with the engine not the wheels. If the drive wheels are rolling on the ground and the engine is not running, the clutch packs inside the transmission aren't being lubricated which will burn them out in a short distance.

Most manual transmissions use a splash lubrication system. The rotation of the parts in the oil moves the oil through the entire transmission eliminating the need for a pump.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yep, even emergency towing of an automatic should be limited to less than 20 miles or so, and under 35mph. Over that and youll end up having to buy a new trans.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nutherproject68:

An automatic transmission uses a pump to circulate fluid through the transmission. The pump turns with the engine not the wheels. If the drive wheels are rolling on the ground and the engine is not running, the clutch packs inside the transmission aren't being lubricated which will burn them out in a short distance.

Most manual transmissions use a splash lubrication system. The rotation of the parts in the oil moves the oil through the entire transmission eliminating the need for a pump.

But a manual in neutral does not have the countershaft engaged (thus rotating) to the output shaft so even a manual can not be towed for a long distance with it's drive wheels on the ground.
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Dude. It's only like $50 to rent a tow dolly.

Why would you even think about risking personal injury, damage to either one or both vehicle, injury to bystanders, damage to the transmission, and hefty fines/court. ALL for just 50 bucks..?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Also the problem with flat towing a non running fiero is the brakes on a fiero need to have a vachume running to it. You will get 1 pump of the brakes than they will go stiff as a rock and will not stop..

I was waiting for someone to mention this... it's very Ghetto and dangerous to do this unless it's 3 am and you have no other alternative.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Your brakes will still work without vacuum. You just lose the power assist portion. They will be much harder. I have pulled many cars with a tow rope like this. No, not the recommended way but for a short distance, no highway, both people on headsets on the phone, rear person doing ALL the braking, yes it works.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

But a manual in neutral does not have the countershaft engaged (thus rotating) to the output shaft so even a manual can not be towed for a long distance with it's drive wheels on the ground.

It dont make any diff with a stick. Ive put tens of thousands of miles on mine and others stick shift cars on my dolly with rears on the ground without ever a problem. Ive used it to tow Ferraris, Lambos and Corvettes. I dont know much about trannys (I just swap out bad ones), but I think shafts and gears are spinning in one even in neutral, just no gears are meshed. You might have a failure if you towed it like that for 200,000 miles though

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

Dude. It's only like $50 to rent a tow dolly.

Why would you even think about risking personal injury, damage to either one or both vehicle, injury to bystanders, damage to the transmission, and hefty fines/court. ALL for just 50 bucks..?

I was waiting for this one. Well said
Joe Crawford

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock