Started on: 01-31-2010 07:36 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: josef644 on 02-01-2010 09:25 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Here's another questions for the 4.9 folks. After reaing several threads and following a couple. I decided that I am going to pull the injectors and make sure that they are all clean and working correctly. At the mega pull today, I pulled the fule rack and all the injectors off a 91 Deville - figured I'd have some spares in case some on my 4.9 are no good. This afternoon I hooked each one of the spares up to 12 volt to check for the "click". I also hooked up a rubber hose so I could blow through them - see if they were plugged up. I got 6 good ones. One clicked them smoked and another one did not click at all.

So now for my question. One of the 8 that I got today is different from the rest. I believe that it is a "Pintle" style versus the "Disc" style. Is it common to replace one style with another? Still learning about all this injector stuff and was curious about the difference. I am guessing that this one injector was a replacement at one time in the donor's past.

Here they are side by side. There were 7 of the one on the left. The one on the right is the lone duck.

And my high dollar/high tech filter removing tool.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Pat most of mine would not click well at first unless I had pressure applied. I used a 5/8" heater hose and a ty strap to snug it up a bit. I put come 'Carb Cleaner' in the hose and plugged in the air hose. I had my compressor regulator set at 40LBs. I used some extra ALDL wire ends to connect on the injectors. They fit perfect. A click and no spray pattern is worthless. You need to see what type of spray pattern you have. There are three problems that will effect your idle and performance. Stopped up, partly stopped up (just a drip), or a poor spray. When you see one spray good you will be able to judge the ones that have a poor spray pattern.

I cut and pasted the way I did this for my engine so you don't have to go chase it down.

"Well I collected all my 'Patented" fuel injector checker parts
one can of Max's 8700 Carb and Choke cleaner
8 " of 5/8" heater hose w/ one ty strap
Air nose button pushed compressed air on and off unit
one used trunk lock popper button off of a 91 De ville, not seen in the first photo
one lawn mower battery
wire and connectors

Assemble 'Patented" injector checker

The 5/8th hose fits good on the top of the injector. I turned on the air compressor until I had 40 lbs of air pressure. I put the hose on the injector. Add a bit of the Max's 8700 Carb and Choke cleaner from NAPA, insert the air nozzle into the hose and hold the button down on the air nozzle. I pushed the button up and down and watched for a spray. I was rewarded three times. I had one that would only drip at first, but was able to clear it up. I
6 good, and they have a nice TIC<TIC<TIC when the power is applied to the injectors."

I soaked two injectors in Berrymans Chem dip overnight, and I wish I hadn't. It crazed the plastic case of those two. Be sure and drain the old gas out of the fuel rails. Mine had the 'rotten gas' smell from the fuel inside.

My grand daughter was here when I was doing this and had her work the button while I did the airpressure and cleaner parts. I had her working the button real fast on and off.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 01-31-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe. Your's is one of the threads I am following. I was going to build one of your "patented" checkers next weekend to check for pattern. I want to pull the 8 originals off the motor and go through them. These extra ones I picked up were mainly for experimenting with but I figured I could get a few extra good ones out of the bunch. I put the 6 that I could get to fire in the carb cleaner and agitated it for about 4 hours. I just went through them with an OHM meter set on 200. I have 3 in the 16.5 to 16.8 range, 1 at 14.9, 1 at 13.2 and 1 at 8.8. I read in your thread where 16.4 is where they need to be? Still trying to get all this to sink in. I have to add that your thread is the reason that I am checking the injectors out. If not for your thread, I most likely would have thrown it together then beat my head against the wall trying to figure out why it ran like caca. Thanks again for your help.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 02-01-2010).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
In the neighbor hood of 16.4. I posted a chart somewhere that had that info on it. All of this is easy to do including the re-install.
Joe
Edited to add:

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-01-2010).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Pat if there is a local wrecking yard close to you where you can take a few parts off of a 4.9, I recommend that you grab the three long bolts that hold the valve covers on the head. They have a long shank on them that the plastic spark plug wire holder can slide down on.

I wish there was a yard close to me so I could score 3 of these. The closest yard to me is in Houston, or bout 110 miles form me.These are wonderful for keeping the wires organized and off of the manifolds. The plastic part will be on the wires
On the stud

Real easy to remove and a great item to make your swap 'Clean' looking.
Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-01-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the chart and the tip on the bolts. I removed a valve cover from a 91 yesterday but it did not have the long bolts like your pic. Maybe from a later year? I'll be going back Saturday - there are a bunch of Caddy's in there. If I can find some, I'll send you 3.

Looking at the chart, looks like 12 volts off the battery may be too much for the injector? Maybe why one of them smoked? I think I'll rig up a 9 volt battery for future testing. I think I read that in one of the links you posted in your thread.

Pat

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I used a lawn mower battery that was bad. It had a dead cell, so maybe it was around 8-9 volts.

The extra long valve cover bolts are only on one valve cover, and of course it is the one next to to firewall. If ya can locate me 3 of those I'll forever be in your debt.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock