4.9 hard time starting hot by Dizzixx
Started on: 01-28-2010 05:51 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: stickpony on 01-30-2010 07:43 PM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause my 4.9 to have a hard time starting hot?

I am thinking its either wiring overheats and resistance increasing or starter overheating causing simillar problem or both. It has a hard time turning over when its up to temp after being turned off. It will not turn over I can try a few times and eventually it starts to crank, then it will crank without starting, eventually it catches and starts. When cold it fires up the first time every time. As it warms up I can watch the volts on the voltmeter drop from as high as 17 to about 13.5. Also for anyone thats been keeping track the other issues still have not been fixed, no IAC and I cant scan the ECM.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
How old is the starter? I had the same problem, put a new starter on and it started every time.

Jack

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Really the same problem? The starter is of unknown age and was a junkyard find Im pretty sure. Though it was tested by the machine at autozone. Was there anything else that tipped you off to it being the starter?
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
In my case the car keep getting harder and harder to start over a period of months (it was the starter that was with the engine when we did the 4.9 swap). Checked the cables, these were new due to the battery relocation to the front. The battery had a few years on it so that was replaced and that did not help. Added another ground wire directly to one of the starter bolts, no help. So it was down to the starter. I thought if I bought one and it did not solve the problem I could put it back in the box and try and get my money back. I had no problems after that. I used that starter for about a year and then the 6 speed trans was put in and I went to a PowerMaster starter, but I did save the old starter. A short time later a local member of PFF told me of some hard starting problems when his engine got hot. Gave him the starter I had and it solved his problem and he is still using that starter.

Jack
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
good to know. And yeah if thats not it I can just return the starter, had to do this while figuring out the whole shim thing. Bat is new and relocated so all the cables are new and I have 3 large grounds to the block.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
You might also check the timing.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I have twice.
concrete

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for concreteClick Here to visit concrete's HomePageSend a Private Message to concreteDirect Link to This Post
my 4.9 did it to it was the starter

------------------

88 fiero coupe 4.9 auto
86 2.8 SE proud sponser of lasvegas fiero club

stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dizzixx:

Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause my 4.9 to have a hard time starting hot?

I am thinking its either wiring overheats and resistance increasing or starter overheating causing simillar problem or both. It has a hard time turning over when its up to temp after being turned off. It will not turn over I can try a few times and eventually it starts to crank, then it will crank without starting, eventually it catches and starts. When cold it fires up the first time every time. As it warms up I can watch the volts on the voltmeter drop from as high as 17 to about 13.5. Also for anyone thats been keeping track the other issues still have not been fixed, no IAC and I cant scan the ECM.

the caddy starters are notorious for being affected by heat soak after a few years of use.. try finding a junkyard starter shield, and replace the starter. i personally think the allante starter is a higher performance starter, it spins much nicer than the 4.9....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock