Started on: 01-19-2010 07:25 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Macs86GT on 01-21-2010 07:42 AM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering what you guys thought the best muffler would be for a 3.4 P/R with a custom exhaust? I mean custom as in I'm putting a muffler where the cat. went and rest is straight pipe, getting rid of the stock muffler set-up. I'm looking for an aggressive sound but not really loud, and not that much interior drone. I would like a flowmaster but I heard it drones too much when cruising. What about a Magnaflow or a Borla (most expensive)?

Thanks!
-Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
i have a flowmaster 80 series now with 2 1/2 in. pipe and its pretty loud and has more drone than id like on acceleration. I think they sound good on v8s but i dont like it as much on a v6. Before the flowmasters i had race style bullet mufflers which sounded good but was wayy to loud. Im going to give the spintech a try now, good luck. btw ill sell the flowmaster cheap once i have it out, if you wanted to try it out
3.4Turbo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboDirect Link to This Post
I like the sound of the borla with my 3.4 pr but noo longer available new. You will need to find a used one.
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I'm thinking. You have been working on the turbo 3.4 right? Please don't ruin the sound of the car with a raunchy sounding flowmaster. If you are using a turbo, I am assuming you are going to be making a complete exhaust? I would definitely suggest using a borla muffler. If you look around, you can find a crossflow borla for a firebird/camaro. This has the single in, dual out you want. If you look around a little more, you can find a "pro xs" borla muffler in the same crossflow model, and it will end up being about $180.

Nick
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrjohnishome:

Here's what I'm thinking. You have been working on the turbo 3.4 right? Please don't ruin the sound of the car with a raunchy sounding flowmaster. If you are using a turbo, I am assuming you are going to be making a complete exhaust? I would definitely suggest using a borla muffler. If you look around, you can find a crossflow borla for a firebird/camaro. This has the single in, dual out you want. If you look around a little more, you can find a "pro xs" borla muffler in the same crossflow model, and it will end up being about $180.

Nick

Well i decided against the Turbo, too much cost and I would most likely get over my head and blow the engine.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
I can tell you from experince on my old camaro with a 305 and now my 04 cavalier the flowmaster 40 series have a loud drone in the interior for most people. I love the flowmasters but they are loud for most people. and this is on a car with full length exhaust. I can't even imagine how loud it might be on a fiero. It all depends on your liking though for me I can run open headers with no worry.

[This message has been edited by Tstang429 (edited 01-20-2010).]

gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
honestly. I haven't used anything other than a stock Fiero Muffler.
flowmasters are loud and sound good. but I don't like any of the raspiness that comes with aftermarket mufflers.
just my opinion though.
that one name brand that makes me all warm and fuzzy though...is BORLA.
get a Borla and it'll be worth every penny!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Something like this? I used a Magnaflow. Not super loud nor timid. Should be quieter when I finish the piping to the back.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Something like this? I used a Magnaflow. Not super loud nor timid. Should be quieter when I finish the piping to the back.

Yea, Nearly exactly like that! You have basically the same setup as I will but I don't have the big cam nor can I afford that Intake. Sounds great, thanks! I think I might go with Magnaflow.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-20-2010).]

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
That is the sweetest sounding v6 ive ever heard.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post

This what I have on my 3.4. One 3" glass pack, a Flowtech Afterburner cross flow 3" in and two 2.5" outlets , and two 2.25" Hooker resonator tips. Just barely quiet enough to have a conversation or listen to the radio at cruising speeds. Glass pack was $20 and the afterburner $60 plus a bunch of mandrel bent pipe. Plus a Flowmaster 3" ball flange and 2.25"/3" Y pipe. I was planning on running some nitrous threw this , that's why I went with the 3". 2.5" would be a better size unless you have it modded alot.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

PFF
System Bot
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try this weekend to get my dam phone to get a clip of my car running. Android and windows don't like each other.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock