1990 Riviera Dash Cluster by Sofa King
Started on: 01-12-2010 10:06 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: jscott1 on 01-13-2010 06:01 PM
Sofa King

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

I have a question. While anything is possible, how difficult would it be to install the digital dash cluster from the 1990 Buick Riviera into the Fiero? I know the dash would have to be altered and modified to fit, but how hard would it be wire? Has anybody tackled this project? I remember seeing a few digital clusters but not many.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zimmerator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZimmeratorSend a Private Message to ZimmeratorDirect Link to This Post
if it is the same as the Buick Reatta and Riviera 89 , the touch screen should be very difficult to wire , giving that if I remember mine , not least than 27 sending units are connected !
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post
Maybe not the touch screen - just the gauge cluster
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zimmerator:

giving that if I remember mine , not least than 27 sending units are connected !

That doesn't sound too bad. The stock cluster has 7 discrete and 6 analog inputs. What's another 14?
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zimmerator:

if it is the same as the Buick Reatta and Riviera 89 , the touch screen should be very difficult to wire , giving that if I remember mine , not least than 27 sending units are connected !

A clarification is needed here:
I have a 90 Reatta and it does not have the touch screen.
Buick was having many complaints about the CRT burning
out that they totally removed it from the car in it's last two years.
Only the first two years had the touch screen. (88 & 89)

Kit
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post
To do a 1990 Riviera instrument cluster sway you will also need the BCU (Body Control Unit). For the most part, information from the BCU is feed to the instrument cluster via a Data Link. I have been down that paht already. After all the time I spent in collecting all the components, wiring diagrams, etc. and the start of the install I had second thoughts and decided against it. If you plan on continuing the install/swap let me know as I have a ton of drawings and wirning diagrams I can share with you. Including the 1990 Buick Riviera wiring information. I purchased the electronic version of the wiring diagrams.

Good luck if you decide to continue.

Mike
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Good luck if you decide to continue.

Mike

Hey M,

Thanks for the info (and to everybody else)... It sounds like it's not one of those weekend projects - a few wires here, a couple of connectors there, etc. I was hoping for more of a simple approach. I was sitting in traffic early one morning and saw the dash in the car sitting next to me and thought - "...wow, that would be cool..." But now hearing what it will take to wire up I'm thinking "... wow, that looks too hard..." LOL
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
those had a touch screen?? i found a 90 or so calais in the yards that had a screen. looked more into it and it turned out to be a gps like setup. or a crputer kinda thing. it was a crt display. i forget any details on it. but i was amazed that they actually put that kind of technology into a production car in that day in age.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

those had a touch screen?? i found a 90 or so calais in the yards that had a screen. looked more into it and it turned out to be a gps like setup. or a crputer kinda thing. it was a crt display. i forget any details on it. but i was amazed that they actually put that kind of technology into a production car in that day in age.

The 80s were the hey day for digital displays. I remember sitting in one of those Regals in 87 or so at the auto show and playing with the CRT displays. Aside from being unreliable clunky CRT displays, the general consensus was that no one wanted a touch screen to run the basic functions of a radio or HVAC.

So fast forward 20 years or so and the touch screens are making a comback. Mostly in hybrids, but you will find cars with touch screens that run the whole setup with no knobs to back it up. I don't know if they will catch on, but it would be cool to see a Fiero with a OEM touch screen setup from the 80s.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-13-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock