Wheel/tire experts needed for 88gt by ALJR
Started on: 01-01-2010 10:22 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: ALJR on 01-19-2010 11:30 PM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
The time has come for me to purchase a nice set of wheels and tires for my baby... This is the last part of my drive-train restoration; basically everything under the body has been done!

So I have looked through many threads on this topic but am getting overwhelmed with all the info out there It is had to decipher if other posts are similar to my Fiero...

So what I have is an 88gt w/ basically stock suspension (although all new).
I would like to go w/ 17 or 18" rims
I would like the widest possible tire/rim w/o having rub issues and not sticking out past the wheel well.

What width rim do I need?
What offset front & rear I need?
What is the center bore needed (hub centric ring)?
What size tires are required to keep my speedo accurate w/ 17 or 18" rim?
Am I able to go with a larger diameter tire (I know it will affect the speedo) to fill the wheel well better?

Thank you very much for any help

AL
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Use a tire size calculator to verify your overall tire diameter stays the same.
I use this one. It also shows what your speedo error will be.

I don't know about the "widest" setup, but as a good starting point, I know the ASA AR1 wheels have been used successfully on 88s.
Those come in staggered sizes for the 88.
Front: 17x7 +38mm offset
Rear: 17x8 +35mm offset

With those wheels, I'd run:
Front: 215/45-17
Rear: 235/45-17 (245/45 would also work and your speedo would be 2.1% off - reading 60mph when you're actually doing 61.2mph)

That's far from the widest, but it's a start. Your limiting factor will be clearance on the suspension trailing links and clearance to the spring on the rear strut.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 01-01-2010).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Your limiting factor will be clearance on the suspension trailing links and clearance to the spring on the rear strut.

This is where I get confused. I see other ppl's posts w/ there tire/wheel combo's; but have no Idea if they modified something else to get them to fit...

It looks like I have a small margin of error when fitting rear tire/wheels on my gt. The rim has to be tall enough to fit over the knuckle, narrow enough not to hit the rear strut and have the proper offset so it don't stick out like a ricer... The tire also has to have the proper profile so it will fit next to (or under) the strut spring pirch (and lower mud guard; if thats what its called) w/o rubbing...

I will most likely be buying the rims off Ebay because of $$ issues. Most Ebay sellers will not return rims that have been fitted; not to mention the return shipping if I messed up w/ my purchase would totally destroy any savings by buying online...
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Here's a comparator that I like to use. It will give you all the dimensions you need to figure out what will fit.

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/rt_specs.jsp

Use it in conjuction with this chart:

Hub/bore is 57.1mm.

Rear stock tire - 215/60 R15 is approx. 25.2" tall

Front stock tire - 205/60 R15 is approx. 24.7" tall

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 01-02-2010).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Those come in staggered sizes for the 88.
Front: 17x7 +38mm offset
Rear: 17x8 +35mm offset

I have 17x7 with a 38 mm offset on the front of my 88, and they look a little wide. I personally don't mind, but a 48 mm offset would probably be better on the front.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert but after looking at it, it looks like to me - to get the tire/rim to fit in the wheel well, a 17X8 with a 38mm offset and a 245/45 R17 tire would be about the widest setup you could go - the outside of the tire would sit out past the fender about 1/2 to 3/4" and it would be close to the strut line. The 235/45 R17 would be 3/10ths of an inche narrower and would be a better choice for the inside clearance of the strut line.

I have a set of Momo 17X7.5 with a 42mm offset and 235/45 R17 tires on the back of my 88 XTC. This car has wheel spacers but I have installed the wheels/tires on my 88 Formula and with the 42mm offset, the tire is a little too close to the strut for my liking. A 38mm wheel would give me 4mm more clearance but I am not sure how much clearance is "enough".

I am working on an 86 V8 car right now and want to stuff the biggest (widest) tire in the rear I can get. I will most likely go with coil overs to gain some room. Fortunately, I have a good firend that runs a tire store and when I am ready, I will go there and we will spend the day "fitting" tires and rims. I still want to have a good idea of what I can get away with before I "buy". Good luck on your quest.

Pat
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Wow that chart is a lil confusing...

What do the lil white blocks mean at the ends of the gray bars?
Is there a shock line for the front rims (like the "strunt line")? Or is it not an issue?
What about front upper/lower control arm clearance w/ differance offsets?
Is the "1988 front" blue line the edge of the rim, or tire? My 88gt looks to be closer (mor flush) to the fender lip than the chart indicates
On the far right, the second lable for "87 F/R 88 rear"; there are three arrows, what do they mean?

So from what I can gather from that chart and my needs, the below it what I would need for rims:
FRONT RIM - 8" w/ 45mm offset - would this rub the up/low arms @ full L/R turn?
FRONT TIRE - 235/40-18
REAR RIM - 8" w/ 38mm offset (think 40mm would make it too close to the strut
REAR TIRE - ??

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-02-2010).]

Tabihs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TabihsSend a Private Message to TabihsDirect Link to This Post
I just bought Enkei EDR9 wheels for my 88 GT, and after beating a local shop across the head on what offsets I wanted, I got 17x7 with 45mm offset in the front and 17x8 in the rear with 38mm offset and to me it looks rather good. I don't have a photobucket or other public image hosting, but I can email pictures of what it looks like on the car. The 17x7 45mm offset is cloooosee to the arms, but there is still clearance with the wheels at full lock. There are a couple small scratches on the inside rim that I can't identify the source of (maybe road debris or the installer, it was dark when I received the car so I didn't get to inspect for little barely noticeable markings like those that are present), but if it was rubbing they would have to be more continuous; I will say though, I'll feel a lot more comfortable when I get the coil overs installed along with my engine swap here at the first of the year. I'm running Hankook 215R45-17 in the front and 225 in the back.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tabihs:

I just bought Enkei EDR9 wheels for my 88 GT, and after beating a local shop across the head on what offsets I wanted, I got 17x7 with 45mm offset in the front and 17x8 in the rear with 38mm offset and to me it looks rather good. I don't have a photobucket or other public image hosting, but I can email pictures of what it looks like on the car. The 17x7 45mm offset is cloooosee to the arms, but there is still clearance with the wheels at full lock. There are a couple small scratches on the inside rim that I can't identify the source of (maybe road debris or the installer, it was dark when I received the car so I didn't get to inspect for little barely noticeable markings like those that are present), but if it was rubbing they would have to be more continuous; I will say though, I'll feel a lot more comfortable when I get the coil overs installed along with my engine swap here at the first of the year. I'm running Hankook 215R45-17 in the front and 225 in the back.

Pictures would be great! I will pm you my email addy; if you like I can post them for you as well...
Do you think an 18" rim would have provided more clearance?
Does any of the rubber stick out, when viewing from above?
Did the rears clear the strut? how much room was there between the tire/strut and could you have gone wider?

I understand what you mean by the scratches on the inner rim not being continuous. But, if something only made contact as the suspension was compresed or extended (like a quick speed bump or pothole) then the mark would not be continuous, rather a quick scratch...

Below are the pictures of Tabihs 88gt. (stock suspension??)
Enkei EDR9 wheels
17x7 with 45mm offset in the front
17x8 with 38mm offset in the rear
Tires are Hankook 215R45-17 in the front and 225 in the back

I really like this look! Think I found the rim size I need

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-03-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Wow that chart is a lil confusing...

What do the lil white blocks mean at the ends of the gray bars?
Is there a shock line for the front rims (like the "strunt line")? Or is it not an issue?
What about front upper/lower control arm clearance w/ differance offsets?
Is the "1988 front" blue line the edge of the rim, or tire? My 88gt looks to be closer (mor flush) to the fender lip than the chart indicates
On the far right, the second lable for "87 F/R 88 rear"; there are three arrows, what do they mean?

So from what I can gather from that chart and my needs, the below it what I would need for rims:
FRONT RIM - 8" w/ 45mm offset - would this rub the up/low arms @ full L/R turn?
FRONT TIRE - 235/40-18
REAR RIM - 8" w/ 38mm offset (think 40mm would make it too close to the strut
REAR TIRE - ??

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions:

The little white blocks at the end of the grey blocks are the "lip" of the rim.
The front shock on an 88 is a non issue - mounted inside the a arms.
Control arms are a non issue. If you have too much offset, too wide wheel and tire, it will rub in the wheel well
The three blue lines represent the outside edge of the stock wheel(s) - not sure what the 3rd arrow is for - most likely a "typo"

I would not put a 235 tire in the front - you will not like the "hard" steering and the 8" wide rim may be too wide. The 235/45 is 9.3" wide so it will be .65" wider on each side of the rim. I really think a 235/45 on a 8" wheel with a 45mm offset is too much.

I would look at a 7" wheel with a 40 or 42mm offset and a 215/45 or 225/45 for the front - this would put the outer edge of the tire about even with the fender.

Maybe a 7.5" wheel with a 42mm offset and a 235/45 for the rear - maybe a 245? There's only .30" difference in width between the 235 and 245.

An 8" wheel with a 42mm offset would only allow a 215/45 tire before rubbing on the strut in the rear

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 01-03-2010).]

Khaos88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Khaos88GTSend a Private Message to Khaos88GTDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute I'm almost positive that there are at least a few forum members running 9 or 10" wide wheels on like 275 or 285s......In fact I believe Mad Curl runs 20x9 or something in rear yeah his car is widebody so they dont stick out but they dont rub either, and hes running something pretty wide up front as well.
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khaos88GT:

Wait a minute I'm almost positive that there are at least a few forum members running 9 or 10" wide wheels on like 275 or 285s......In fact I believe Mad Curl runs 20x9 or something in rear yeah his car is widebody so they dont stick out but they dont rub either, and hes running something pretty wide up front as well.

He "may" be using coil-over shocks; which I believe gives you more clearance to fit wider rim/tires...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Khaos88GT:

Ya, I was just playing around w/ the tire/wheel calculator... I think the rim would have to be big enough in diamater to clear the rear knuckle. The stock 15" rim has about .75-1" (acording to my fingers) of clearance between the tire/knuckle. If the rim was tall enough to go OVER the knuckle, I think it would fit a 9" rim w/ 40 offset...

I am thinking the below tire/wheel package MAY fit:
255/45-18 on 18/9" 40 offset - Kinda like the idea of having a lil taller tire to fill the wheel-well more (stock height 88gt)...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-03-2010).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
My cars have:
17x7, 48mm offset, 215/45-17 front. 17x8, 35mm offset, 245/45-17 rear.
(235s on the rear in this pic, but the 245s fit fine. Done for speedo accuracy with the 4.9.)

17x7, 38mm offset, 215/45-17 front. 17x8, 35mm offset, 235/45-17 rear.

At first I thought that the 38mm offset would suck on the front, but it looks okay. Same relationship, front to rear, as the stockers.

Also... Lowering the front (only) by one coil gives the illusion of tucking the wheels under the car a bit more.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Any one fit 18"x9" w/ 40mm offset on the rear of an 88?
w/ 255/40/18's?
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

done it. 18x9 on rear

http://i252.photobucket.com...bozziec/fiero001.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com...bozziec/fiero001.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12190006.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12060001.jpg

Are those pics of your Fiero? Can you tell me a lil about the rims (offset?) and the size of the tires? Are the fronts also 18x9? any clearance issues?

It seems not many manufacturers make an 18" rim that is 9" wide; at least none that are afordable...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Are those pics of your Fiero? Can you tell me a lil about the rims (offset?) and the size of the tires? Are the fronts also 18x9? any clearance issues?

It seems not many manufacturers make an 18" rim that is 9" wide; at least none that are afordable...

BUMP

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock