Started on: 12-19-2009 10:03 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: phonedawgz on 03-31-2010 07:15 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
After seeing this thread,

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/105330.html

I decided to see if I could find one of these new shorter filters. A trip to Autozone later and I have one of each. They both rang up the same ($4.19 each) at the register, exactly the same part # on the receipt.

I remembered seeing a while back where someone had taken apart a bunch of filters and posted pictures online. That site is here:

http://minimopar.knizefamil...erence.html#champion

So I did the same, with an exhaust pipe cutter and a hacksaw. The results below.

First, a side by side comparison. Long filter on the left, short filter on the right.

Tops:

Gaskets:

The filter element: The heart of the filter, and the whole point. While I don't have a way to test how well they filter, just looking at the two side by side tells you right away: the short filter is made of a cheaper material.

Here they are next to each other, the long filter on top:

Inside the short filter, you see a black plastic framework

Inside the long filter, is a metal tube with a lot of holes

The only suprising part was the bases: While the short filter appears to use a much cheaper, thinner base, inside you can see it's just as thick as the old long filter's base

(short on top in both pics)

So it appears AC Delco have completely switched manufacturers, and the new PF52 is made from FAR CHEAPER materials than the old one.

Going back to the above website, the new filter appears to be made by Champion Laboratories, and looks like the STP filter shown on the site.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I think the amount of filter surface area is one of the more important things. See if you can take the filter material apart and stretch it out so that they are both flat. Find out which one has more filter surface area.
Nosferatu187

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for going through the time, trouble and expense to post that. Cheaply made but sells for the same price, figures. My #1 filter choice is Mobil 1, 2nd is Wix. Others here do use the PF52 ACDelco so that's some good info for them.

Mike
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Just took the short one and peeled the top and bottom parts off it (came off VERY easily), and cut along one of the pleats. The stretched out flat filter element measures 3.5" x 47" long, giving it a surface area of 164.5 sq. in.

On the long filter, I had to cut the paper element off the metal ends because it was glued in place so well. 4" x 46" = 184 sq. in.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Big thanks to you RWDPLZ for doing that.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Compare these to a WIX and a Mobil1 filter.
billybad5

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billybad5Send a Private Message to billybad5Direct Link to This Post
i only buy Napa filters because Wix makes them
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I use the Pure One. It got good reviews on one of the previous "can opener comparisons".

Thanks for taking the time and going to the expense. Much appreciated!
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I just use the PF47 and don't worry about it. Plenty of oil flow and filtering. Now when they go cheap......
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I just use the PF47 and don't worry about it. Plenty of oil flow and filtering. Now when they go cheap......

There's a picture of a PF47 in that other thread, and the base of it looks just like the base of the new PF52. So the entire AC Delco line has probably gone over to the new style.
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
Totally by accident I found this:

AC Delco Newsletter May 2009

Filter Design Change - PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 (WD Bulletin 09D-054)
ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco Oil Filters due to
capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will
begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides
the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original
ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully
covered baseplate, non metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has
the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with
components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.
At this time, the Durapack versions of the alternative design filter will begin shipping. The boxed or
individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where
possible, and will otherwise begin to rollover to the new alternative design.
ACDelco appreciates your business and stands behind each and every filter that we distribute with pride
and confidence. Should you have any concerns or questions at all, please feel free to contact your local
ACDelco sales representative.
-------

So the smaller can, paper end caps and nylon core isn't for cutting manufacturing costs, they're "features"! Filtering down to 25 microns isn't much to brag about either. Supposedly the Mobil 1 filter is rated at filtering 98% of particles as small as 10 microns.

More oil filter info here if interested:

http://www.autoeducation.co...101/oil-change-7.htm

Mike
PFF
System Bot
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice job. Thanks for checking it out.
Larry

------------------

Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention
but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool!

Thanks,

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

There's a picture of a PF47 in that other thread, and the base of it looks just like the base of the new PF52. So the entire AC Delco line has probably gone over to the new style.

that was probably mine from when i did an oil change on my aveo the other day. i still have 64,000 more miles of warranty on that car, and i may continue to use AC Delco filters so if that engine does go, at least i know they cant pull some BS saying it was to blame on the oil filter. but if mobil1 is a better designed filter, i will probably go with those since thats the only oil i will use and have since the initial oil change when i bought the car.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to RWDPLZ for doing the work and posting the results here.

Originally posted by Nosferatu187:

Thanks for posting that.

[i]Additional features include ... non metallic end caps ....

Translation: The end caps are almost certainly cardboard, which Fram has been using for years. RWDPLZ, can you confirm the end cap material?

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 12-20-2009).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Translation: The end caps are almost certainly cardboard, which Fram has been using for years. RWDPLZ, can you confirm the end cap material?

I'm not sure exactly what the material is, it's kind of a cross between fabric and paper, not really cardboard. It feels familiar, but I can't quite place it. It has little hairs coming off it. Maybe cotton? Actually it kind of looks and feels like an STP air filter.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Here is a 3rd part number for the PF52 which I bought today. It is identical to the larger 5" filter.
Larry
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Huh, where did you find that one? The part # on the short filter I have is 19210286, and the long one is 25171377.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
I went to my local Autozone today to stock up on the 25171377 and they had this PF52 # in stock. My DD, a 2004, Olds Alero, V6, uses the same oil filter as the Fiero so I wanted to get a supply of them before they were just left with the cheaper ones. Still 4.19 each. I picked up 4 of them.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Just took the short one and peeled the top and bottom parts off it (came off VERY easily), and cut along one of the pleats. The stretched out flat filter element measures 3.5" x 47" long, giving it a surface area of 164.5 sq. in.

On the long filter, I had to cut the paper element off the metal ends because it was glued in place so well. 4" x 46" = 184 sq. in.

That speaks volumes. Thanks for a job well done!
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed the same thing when I bought an AC Delco PF46 for my truck. It is IDENTICAL (inside and out) to a Walmart Supertech ST3506. They are OBVIOUSLY made by the same company. If I would have noticed it while I was still at the store, I would have bought the Supertech filter.

Supertech ST3506=$2.42
AC Delco PF46=$3.67
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
On all my cars, I always get the biggest filter that fits. Just the fact it holds more oil makes it a plus for me. Race cars run gallons of oil instead of quarts.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Today (12/22/2009) I examined one of the new "PF52" filters and verified that #19212086 (shorter) is indeed a Champion eCore filter. I also verified that the WalMart "SuperTech" #ST3980 is a Champion eCore filter, identical to the AC Delco "PF52" #19212086, priced at about a dollar less.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nosferatu187:

Totally by accident I found this:

Filter Design Change - PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 (WD Bulletin 09D-054)
ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco Oil Filters due to
capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will
begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides
the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original
ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully
covered baseplate, non metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has
the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with
components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.
At this time, the Durapack versions of the alternative design filter will begin shipping. The boxed or
individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where
possible, and will otherwise begin to rollover to the new alternative design.
ACDelco appreciates your business and stands behind each and every filter that we distribute with pride
and confidence. Should you have any concerns or questions at all, please feel free to contact your local
ACDelco sales representative.
-------

Mike

Sounds like typical marketing BS to justify using cheaper materials. Is all this stuff made in China? We'll be finding Melamine in them next http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26769189/

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if those are them, but if not you guys should be using the larger filter anyway, they came on a lot of cars in the early 90's, the lumina 3.4DOHC to name one. Provides probably twice the area of the factory specified fiero filter, fits fine, and is easier to install because its longer so you have more area to hold.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Champion huh... you know what?... I wouldn't stick a Champion product up a dogs...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010219-2-004646.html
(ah... good times!)

Thanks dude! awesome investigation, I am double checking to make sure you've been appropriately rated!

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Wow I read through that thread, what flame! Sure don't want to start that up again since this is a filter thread.
Thought it was going to be about filter instead of plugs.
(BYT champions run just fine in my Dodges but that is all I use them in. Old school stuff. )

Yes 2 beers..

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 12-23-2009).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Champion huh... you know what?... I wouldn't stick a Champion product up a dogs...

LOL That Champion is a different company.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:
champions run just fine in my Dodges

For the life of me, I swear that the first time I glanced at that, I thought I read, "Champions run just fine in my Dogs."

Sorry.

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Great thread and good investigation. Thank you!

Looks like it is time to switch from the PF52 to somthing else.....
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I only wish I have the equipment to test the filters to see if there really is any change. I can understand that GM would like to keep the same performance specifications and make the filer smaller to fit into modern car designs. The only question is how will the less than 10% change in filter area affect our cars. It would be nice to have some real data. My SWAG on this is in the end it most likely will not affect our engines. I bet that the difference between the two is minor compared to using a high quality brand in the first place. It is far more important to properly maintain the car per the schedule, than the design of filter. I would never use Fram filters, but I bet a car would run longer with someone who followed the maintenance correctly and used Fram filters, than someone who changed the oil every once in a while. I am tired of running into Fieros with 80k miles on the spark plug wires, and 20k miles on the oil and the person wondering why the car does not run well.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Small update: The new AC Delco filter is in fact made by Champion Laboratories. The filter is also COMPLETELY IDENTICAL to STP and Auto Zone's Valuecraft filters, which are half the rpice of the Delco's.

ALSO: I went to buy a WIX filter for my 84 Fiero. and the parts guy gave me the wrong one. Not his fault though, the catalog is wrong. The WIX catalog incorrectly lists the smaller 51040 filter for the 84, but It SHOULD be 51036. Auto Value is the only store around here that carries them.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010219-2-004646.html
(ah... good times!)

Thanks dude! awesome investigation, I am double checking to make sure you've been appropriately rated!

WOW that is a heated thread. I'll have to remember never to mention the topic of that thread ever again.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock