Difference between 4 and 5 speed shifter assemblies by JumpStart
Started on: 12-15-2009 10:42 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 12-15-2009 08:56 PM
JumpStart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 4 speed and converting it to a 5 speed FWD Getrag. I also have what is supposed to be a 5 spd shifter but I cant really see any differences other than the looks. The 5spd uses a white plastic piece that the "shifter ball" rides in with no bracket for the reverse switch. It also has no type of spring in it so it just flops around. The 4 spd does have a spring and is tite. I was assuming that the difference would be in that the 5 spd would have more travel left to right but just looking at it, they both seem to be the same. If that was the case though, I would think that you could mod the 4 spd to work with the 5 spd tranny. Any ideas on what I should be looking for to make certin that it is a 5 spd assembly?

Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this'll help you, here are the two shifters side by each... the clean one in the foreground is the five speed shifter and the rustier one is the four speed.

JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
Ok, Thats what I have also but I am still wondering why the 5spd does not have a spring in it at all. Just seems that the shifter would be too free floating without it. Thanks for the pics.

Steve

[This message has been edited by JumpStart (edited 12-15-2009).]

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
I did the 4spd to 5spd conversion to my 85GT. The spring not being there makes the shifter feel so much better. It is so much easier to shift.

I would definitely use the 5spd shifter given the choice.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JumpStart:

Just seems that the shifter would be too free floating without it. Thanks for the pics.

Steve

I can't remember for sure... but I seem to remember the spring on the four speed shifter is just there for the positive detent going into reverse. Is there another spring other than that one? Even if there is on the four speed shifter, the 5 speed shifter doesn't flop around since the select lever on the transmission itself is spring loaded to the neutral area between 3rd & 4th (I'm pretty sure that's the case on both trannys). That spring pressure from the select lever is transmitted back through the cable to the shifter mechanism in the car.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I can't remember for sure. . . but I seem to remember the spring on the four speed shifter is just there for the positive detent going into reverse. . .

You are right Bberry, the only 4 spd shifter that used a spring as a detent was used with the V6. I will post a pic of the two later.

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
That and the arm for the shifter cable is 1/2 inch longer to get you the extra gears so if you want to remove the reverse switch and lengthen the arm you can use the 4 speed shifter to control the 5 speed tranny. Dan
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
Hummm... Gotta ask. If someone is doing a 6spd from a G6, what shifter would be used??? Do you have to use the one from the G6 or will the 5spd one work?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the layout of the four speed shifter suits the F40 six speed tranny better. There are a few changes that have to be made including lengthening the select slots on the shifter mechanism in the car to give you the extra side to side movement for the extra gate. Zac88 covered the mods in this thread: www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/...6234&style=printable

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 12-15-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
My isuzu shifter has a spring in it...

Looks to be a return spring for centering the shifter.

Not sure on a getrag shifter as I have never been able to get my hands on one. As far as I know the getrag springs are internal to the trans and not needed in the shifter.

4 speed reverse detent is done with the lever and spring next to the reverse switch. There are 2 springs in my 4 speed shifter. One for the detent and the other returns the shift arm to 3-4 when coming out of reverse, 1 or 2.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-15-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock