Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Steering wheel hub removal holes thread size?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Steering wheel hub removal holes thread size? by Fiero84Freak
Started on: 12-04-2009 06:11 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: wolfwolf on 12-05-2009 09:09 AM
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I searched like crazy but couldn't find the answer I need.

I'm really stupid when it comes to visually seeing sizes of threads and such. I want to replace my '86 GT's steering wheel and have a nice OEM replacement, but I seem to not have the correct threaded bolts for my puller and I'm going to have to go out and by some new bolts for it. Can anyone tell me what size the threads are? I would just run over to somewhere like Home Depot and such but it might be a little funny if I walk in with my new steering wheel and start threading in bolts to see which one fits

Just also want to mention too the Autozone cheapo puller I bought comes with the worst size bolts. I've removed three wheels with this puller on both imports and domestics and not a one of the bolt sizes the puller came with has fit correctly. Grrr....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I believe they are metric ! But I think 5/16" will work
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Size is SAE not Metric.

I can't remember right now but it's not metric.
Some part in Fiero is not metric...
Steering Wheel Puller Bolts.
Tilt pivot puller bolt.
NPT thread on anything. Sensors, heater plumping, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-04-2009).]

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I've got some laying around... give me a sec

Edit: Ok, I am reasonably sure that they are SAE 5/16 bolts. I'm not exactly sure what thread though. 5/16 x 18?

Its a little hard to tell because because the bolts are bit bent but they have hash marks on the top so they are SAE and not metric. Also, I'm using a tap set to try to find the right thread. When you do get bolts, I recommend getting some that are grade 8 as my grade 5 bolts are rather bent after removing a half dozen or so wheels with them.

Bear in mind that although newer stuff on GM is all metric, this particular steering column design has been around since at least the early 70's when all domestic cars were still using all SAE parts.

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 12-04-2009).]

wolfwolf

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wolfwolfSend a Private Message to wolfwolfDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Alibi, use Grade 8 bolts. To identify SAE bolts come in three grades, 3, 5,and 8. To identify on the head of the bolt there are hash marks in a circular pattern. No hash marks are grade 3, Three hash marks are grade 5 and five hash marks are grade 8. In some cases grade 8 bolts are a faded blue color compared to the zinc plated ones. For steering wheel removal grade 8's will not bend or stretch, they are your best bet.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock