Adjusting the shifter? by Dizzixx
Started on: 11-22-2009 04:01 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Dizzixx on 11-26-2009 05:45 PM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
How do I adjust the shifter if I cant do the weight and measure method? Is there another quick and dirty way? I ask because I cant get 1st or 3rd reliably. I tried adjusting at the trans and moving the shift assem but to no avail. It appears that the stop for the shift arm itself is hitting the assem before I get fully engaged. Anyone else experience this?

It on an 87 gt, 4spd, 4.9.

PS- I got my ebrake working correctly after tearing down both rear calipers and rebuilding them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
my bad double post, I thought I hit back before it had a chance to submit. I wanted to add the send email thing.

Dont reply to this one.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
on the shifter their are 2 alignment holes you will need to install a pin in each, this locks the shifter in place then you can adjust the cables at the trans.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Could you explain in more detail? It just seems that no matter how I adjust the cables at the trans end it doesnt seem to make a difference.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a picture of the shifter that I could post but if you pull the cover off you will see where the pins go.
one stops the right/left and the other stops the front/back this locks the shifter in the neutral position so you can adjust the cables to get all the gears.
if this does not work you may need to look at the trans. if it has been out of adjustment too long it may have caused damage to the gears.
if you can shift the trans by hand without the cables on. you may want to see about new cables they do wear out over the years.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
So with the trans in neutral I lock out the shifter assem with the pins. Then loosen the cable at the trans and let it sit where it wants. Then check to see if it runs through all 4?

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

on the shifter their are 2 alignment holes you will need to install a pin in each, this locks the shifter in place then you can adjust the cables at the trans.

Haynes sucks. You can download the 86 Factory Service Manual here: http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I just put the console shifter in neutral and then go to the engine bay. Using my hand, I move the shifter assy on the tranny and then look at the console shifter to see its motion. Then understanding that, I make small 1/8" adjustements to the cables at the tranny shifter assy in the direction needed.

If you can't get 5th and R, the shifter knob needs to come back towards the driver side. If you can't get 1/3/5 - the shifter knob needs to come back towards the console.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-23-2009).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you can't get 5th and R...

He has a 4-speed.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
being you are not hitting 1st & 3rd - I would say the trouble is with the shift cable itself, it maybe seperating/splitting, either at the shifter or at the trans.
1st & 3rd "push" in the cable, and if the sheath is seperated or split anywhere, it will absord some of the "push", and not fully throw the lever
or, perhaps, you just need to adjust the cable at the trans a little more, moving the adjuster more forward in the slot

when you do get into 1st or 3rd, is the shifter all the way against the stops? does it feel like there is more room to move in 2nd & 4th?
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
The shifter hits the stops. Thats the problem. It hits the stop for 1st and 3rd but not for 2nd and 4th. It goes into reverse fine which is the same direction as 1st and third so I am thinking more out of adjustment. If I remember right though the cables are junkyard finds so their quality is unknown. I was going to get new ones but holy crap they can be expensive. It was new cables or like 5-10 other things. I will try and allign it as it looks to be a quick job. Then check the sheathing either way.
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2009 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
loosen nuts at transmission levers,, they should move freely
remove console and drop nails into alignment holes drill bits OK nails better
tighten shift lever the one closest to driver side rear wheel(the out side one) you can give a gentle tug to make sure cable is extended.

you are suppose to rotate the select lever toward the front of the car as far as you can,, then tighten nuts .. this is where it is tricky ,,the first time tighten the nut to the rear of the car,,push lever forward and tighten nut with stud toward rear .. I have neverhad this work for me it takes some ajustment ..
gentle with the cable ends they pull out easily
If you have stock factory cables you are good to go as long as you do not pull the ball studs out of the sockets use care when you remove and tighten make sure the cables have an asbestoes cover shield..the heat will destroy the best cables..
to improve shifting add rodneys brass bushing kit $12.00 it takes up slack and makes the tranny operate better..they go behind the select lever ..
If you have factory cables you should be able to make them work..without difficulty,,ajusting the select lever and cable can be tricky
Rodney Dickman cables are not cheap .. but they WORK the first time I paid almost $300.00 with shipping (ouch) haha ,,I also added the shift bushing kit..poof many problems solved..lubed inside shift mechanism,, buttery shifting now as long as I select 2nd before I shift into first
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. The select portion of things seems to be working so I will try just adjusting the shift one. Will get back with results.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dizzixx:
The shifter hits the stops. Thats the problem. It hits the stop for 1st and 3rd but not for 2nd and 4th. It goes into reverse fine which is the same direction as 1st and third so I am thinking more out of adjustment. If I remember right though the cables are junkyard finds so their quality is unknown. I was going to get new ones but holy crap they can be expensive. It was new cables or like 5-10 other things. I will try and allign it as it looks to be a quick job. Then check the sheathing either way.

yes - thats just an adjustment.
note the position of the jam nut on the shift lever
loosen the jam nut on the shift cable, and move it more ... one way or the other
grab the shifter, and see how it feels now - noting if it hits the stops
if it is better - great - if it is worse, go back, and move it the other way, remembering where it started
by the description, I am guessing moving the nut forward - closer to the driver seat - should be the right direction
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Thats what I thought but I have already moved it all the way forward and all the way backward. Tomorrow I should have some time to poke it and see what happens.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Fixed it. It ended up being the cable. The sheath had cracks in it, like all of my cables. That wasnt it though. The problem was at the trans end the sheath is supposed to run to the end of the cable. On mine it was almost entirely missing at that end. I replaced it with a spare that I had lying around. The spare fit at both ends but was noticably shorter. I got it to work though so it will have to do for the time being.

[This message has been edited by Dizzixx (edited 11-26-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock