trunk seal on 87 gt by Ants87gt
Started on: 11-19-2009 02:07 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Ants87gt on 11-19-2009 07:41 PM
Ants87gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post
I opened the trucnk on my 87 gt to find about 2 gallons of water in there, i live in washington state and we are now in infamous rainy time of the year. my trunk seal has a few tears in it that i'm sure are the problem. the local junk yard has an 88 SE that i'm going to check out later in the week are they the same seal? can they be made to work? any help would be great.

thanks
Ant
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Fastbacks need a rectangular seal. Notchbacks use an oval seal. The real kicker is that finding a good seal is like looking for a needle in a haystack. They are 20+ years old, and the rubber in the seals just isn't as good as new (even NOS parts).

There is a member that is working on making reasonably priced ($100-ish) GT trunk seals and should have some ready in the near future. I think your best bet is to just drain the water, pull and store the carpet, and keep the trunk empty till the new seals are available.

Edit for link to trunk seals: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/048607.html

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 11-19-2009).]

Ants87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info i did see that thread but was hoping that the used one from the yard would get me buy till the new ones were ready. i also know what you mean about old rubber, no matter how good of care you take of this stuff it all goes bad sooner or latter.

thank again
Ant
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
There are other alternatives... there was another a thread a while back that suggested cutting off the round, top portion of the seal and leaving the flatter portion that attatches to the lip. Clean the surface and get some thick, self-adhesive garage door or similar rubber seals to the flat portion of the original trunk seal.

Reading material:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074956.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-070234.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/075583.html

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 11-19-2009).]

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a wing on the deck lid? The gasket between the mount and deck lid deteriorates allowing water to flow through the bolt holes into the trunk. Need to carefully seal the bolt holes with silicone and put a new gasket on. Some of the replacement gaskets don't fit very well though.
Ants87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post
i do have the spoiler and that maybe the problem but the seal is torn on the sides and i think that the water is running off the sides of the lid and into the trunk. its been rainnig buckets here for the last week and is suppose to continue for at least the next week. what sucks is that i just found and fixed a leak on my dodge pickup that took two tries and a week to dry the think out in between fixes and now i get to try my luck with the fiero. i wish i had more garage space, last year i had it in there but now i have my brothers 66 Lemans in there that we just painted and need to cut ad buff so that we can get it all back together so it can't go outside, and i have my 51 chevy pickup in there that is restored and i don't want out in the rain so i'm stuck for now. i might see if i can cram it in at my work shop but that always is a pain moving it in and out as i need the space. WATER LEAKS SUCK!!!!

thanks for all the input and letting me rant some too
Ant
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post
There is a thread in the mall on this
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
51 chevy? Is that the 3 window or 5 window cab? My great uncle had a 5 window and its next on my list to find and restore. My brothers want to help too since I want to give it to my mom as she was supposed to get my uncle's truck but it never came to be. I'm planning on dropping the body onto an S-10 chassis though.

Good luck with your leaks, I think in the mean time you'll be best off to just pull everything out of the trunk until the rain stops so that you don't ruin anything until you've had a chance to get it all sealed up again.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I don't know why The Fiero Store stopped selling trunk seals for the fastbacks... I bought a brand new one from them two years ago (part number 50154). They used to be listed on their website but not any longer. You could try contacting them to see if they plan on offering them again in the near future. They weren't cheap... I paid $180 back then.

(edited to add p/n)

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 11-19-2009).]

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ants87gt:
i do have the spoiler and that maybe the problem but the seal is torn on the sides and i think that the water is running off the sides of the lid and into the trunk.
Ant

I dunn know, I have not taken off a rear deck lid seal in quite awhile but, I believe that I remember the trunk seal pushes down on a vertical lip to install it. Water rolling off the sides of the deck lid would have to be blocked from running off and pool up high enough to overflow this lip.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Try contacting 007DOUG or Doug at www.fierowarehouse.com
I got one from him. Doug is great to deal with too.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

PFF
System Bot
Ants87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

51 chevy? Is that the 3 window or 5 window cab? My great uncle had a 5 window and its next on my list to find and restore. My brothers want to help too since I want to give it to my mom as she was supposed to get my uncle's truck but it never came to be. I'm planning on dropping the body onto an S-10 chassis though.

Good luck with your leaks, I think in the mean time you'll be best off to just pull everything out of the trunk until the rain stops so that you don't ruin anything until you've had a chance to get it all sealed up again.

mine is a 3 window, its pretty rare since its a factory 1 ton with the 9 foot pickup bed. i did a reto mod on it, 406 small block and made it 4 wheel drive but kept the factory ride hieght. you can see pics of it and the 65 gto i restored (sold the goat though) on my web site www.anthonysautoservice.com its on the projects page. i need to add some pics of the fiero there as well

Ant
Ants87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post

Ants87gt

272 posts
Member since Nov 2007

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Try contacting 007DOUG or Doug at www.fierowarehouse.com
I got one from him. Doug is great to deal with too.

good to know he has them but i don't have $210 bucks right now, wife just had a baby so i'll try the JC whitless aproach first.
thanks for the link
Ant

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock