Headliner Glue by rdppilot
Started on: 11-10-2009 08:15 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: IMSA GT on 11-11-2009 10:54 AM
rdppilot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdppilotSend a Private Message to rdppilotDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick question, my headliner is sagging and needs to be reglued. What is the best glue to use for this, I have looked at the permatex headliner glue and it looks like good glue but I would like the opinions of everyone here. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
i redid my headliner using 3M contact cement. comes in a spray can. also advance auto and auto zone sell their own headliner glue. if your headliner is sagging best guess is your going to have to replace the material. it's not too bad of a job. so long as your headliner board is in good shape. good luck. if you need help in replacing the material let me know. Fiero Store does sell headliners with material on it but they are very pricy.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Better than any glue is construction adhesive ..I use to buy and sell cars a great way to lose money,,but also get to drive a great many cars I liked

I had poor results from the sprays glues ect,,tried construction adhesive ,,I spread it on in a thin layer using a spatula i made from credit type cards cut plastic easy to work..takes longer than the sprays ,,but you will have no sagging

have a couple of sticks or boards to hold the material up as you work..the stick has a flat surface nailed to top with cloth on it to prevent sagging,,falling ,,drooping.

remove old headliner and PLAN what you will do ,,recheck measurement on clothe..take your time
Felt material is available cheap at fabric stores ,including,,some wal-mart
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
when a headliner sags, it's not just a matter of it coming unglued. There's foam between the cloth and the board, and that foam deteriorates. Just gluing it back will not look good at all. You need to remove the board, remove the old cloth, remove the old foam residue, and glue on new headliner cloth (which will have fresh foam backing).
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I agree. If the backing is bad, you can use fiberglas resin/cloth to patch it. Mine was so bad, I bought the ABS (?) one from the Fiero store. Worked great. I used 3m 8088 spray glue. You can get headliner material pretty cheap. The best bet is to try an upholstery shop, because if you buy it on the net, you will end up paying a fair amount to ship a small quantity.
Jim

------------------

87 T-top 2.8 5sp Camaro Dash Bonneville door panels; 86 355 body & interior kits 3.1 Auto; 85 SE 2.5 5sp, 86 SE 2.8 auto parts car

FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Direct Link to This Post
I just did the headliner in my 88 GT today. Bought the 54" wide material at JoAnn fabric stores-$14.99/yd. They have the correct foam backed material for headliners and the grey they had is a perfect match for the factory color. I used Permatex headliner spray glue I got from Autozone for $9.99. Everything worked great and I was lucky that the fiberglass board in my car was in great shape. I just used a shop vac with brush attachment to remove all of the old foam backing which was literally falling apart just by looking at it. Took me about four hours for the whole job. Now I just need to get my sunvisors and sunroof shield covered in the same material to finish all the details.
rdppilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rdppilotDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help, I will check my local fabric store for headliner material, sounds like thats the route I should go to have a decent looking headliner. Again thanks.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I purchased the material to redo mine at a local uphostery shop for $15.00.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I often hear how much some of you spend to buy fabric and I am amazed that you just don't go this route:
http://www.headsuponline.co...uct-details.php?id=4

And a list of retailers for you:
http://www.headsuponline.com/retailers.php

It is a roll of soft headliner material that is designed to be a headliner ( not some cheap carpet they call headliner ), and is very durable and inexpensive. It is available at Pep Boys and many other auto parts stores. They also have the proper spray glue that actually creates "spider webs" of adhesive so you don't flood the part with too much liquid. The rolls retail for between $30-$40 and the glue is $15

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock