Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4.9 gurus. Coolant temp sensor on trunk side head?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

4.9 gurus. Coolant temp sensor on trunk side head? by Raydar
Started on: 09-20-2009 10:01 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Raydar on 10-04-2009 09:51 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I've noticed on my 4.9 that there seems to be a coolant temp senser on the corner of the trunk side head.
It's kind of above and between the #8 spark plug and exhaust port. (Trunk side, nearest the tranny.)
Nothing was plugged into it. The normal coolant temp sensor on the intake manifold is the one that is being used.
In addition, this sensor appears to be "dead". Open circuit. No resistance reading at all.

Neither the Deville or the Allante manuals mention a sensor in this location.
I'm doing an Allante intake swap, so it would be really useful if I could install a working sensor there.

So what is it? Is this a useable location for a sensor? Even if it's just a gauge sensor, that would work for me.
(Of course, I suppose I could unscrew it and see if coolant comes out.)

Anyone?

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-20-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
It a switch that runs an idiot light for cylinder head temperature.
Grumpy0868

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grumpy0868Send a Private Message to Grumpy0868Direct Link to This Post
This is from Mickey_Moose 4.9 wiring thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098096.html

"NOTE: Some 4.9's have a temp switch in the side of the head:
1) if you car does NOT have a temp gage and just an idiot light you can leave the stock 4.9 sensor in the thermostat housing - wire this to the ECM, the one in the head gets wired to the idiot temp light on the dash.
2) if you have a temp gage in your car you change out the sensor to the above info and wire, the head temp switch can be thrown out (or used for an additional light that you have added to the dash)."
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
head temperature, not coolant - switch closes when hot (overheat)
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
How many wires does it have? Can you post a pic? I've been trying to see what they look like for a while. I'd like to hook one up in my own car.

I found that a head temp sensor from a 4.1 caddy will screw into the 4.9 head and is a single wire grounding switch. This is perfect for the fiero install.
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
if you are talking about this sender:

They call it "Engine Metal Temperature Switch" in my Haynes. I will use it for the "Temp Idiot Light".

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Great info. Thanks!
The "switch" in my 4.9 head looks just like the one pictured above, which also looks like the coolant temp sender on the intake manifold.
Same style, same shape. Same connector. Two wires, etc., etc.
Does it go into the water jacket? Or is it just screwed into a blind hole on the head?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-21-2009).]

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
It is in a blind hole. That is why I dont think I will able to use it for something else than a¸n idiot light.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Okay. Great info.
Thanks guys!
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. Two wire.

Well thats not going to work. Only need a single wire grounding switch to run the idiot light. I'm going to go with the one from the 4.1. I'll post the part number if anyone is interested.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
According to Haynes, 1 wire is a ground the other for a Bulb.

I dont see why it can not be used with the Fiero temp lite.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I didnt even know that I had one on my 4.9 till I read this thread. I will wire it in while I am building my harness. I will ground the second wire.

This is a great place to spend time

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-24-2009).]

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

PFF is a great place to spend time.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

4.9 ongoing project

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2009 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

According to Haynes, 1 wire is a ground the other for a Bulb.

I dont see why it can not be used with the Fiero temp lite.

Why a ground wire? Doesn't the sensor ground through the head already? I had just figured it was for something else. No reason it wont work either way. Of course its in the Haynes manual. I couldn't find it in the FSM.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Why a ground wire? Doesn't the sensor ground through the head already? I had just figured it was for something else. No reason it wont work either way. Of course its in the Haynes manual. I couldn't find it in the FSM.

I would think the lead is hot from the bulb to the back. When the switch closes it offers the grounded lead to the circut and the 'Hot' lite would come on.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Depends how the switch was built - maybe GM reasoned that it needed some sort of isolation from the head or something...
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Depends how the switch was built - maybe GM reasoned that it needed some sort of isolation from the head or something...

Makes sense. Seems odd though considering the early 4.1's only had a single wire switch. Maybe they figured something out along the way. I can't think of any reason why it would actually need a seperate ground.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I would think the lead is hot from the bulb to the back. When the switch closes it offers the grounded lead to the circut and the 'Hot' lite would come on.

I have already located an extra connector that fit the 'Hot' head temp switch. I am gonna wire it up with one side grounded, and the other to the 'Hot' lite feed. we'll see how it works out after start up
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

According to Haynes diagram, you are right. The wire is "dead" until the switch gives it ground. Other wire of the bulb is hot.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
I found on a Cadillac forum that the switch closed at 380 degrees Farenheit (160 Celcius) which is very high for the stock Fiero engine temp gauge, but seems not to be so high for a 4.9 Cadillac V8.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

4.9 ongoing project

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

I found on a Cadillac forum that the switch closed at 380 degrees Farenheit (160 Celcius) which is very high for the stock Fiero engine temp gauge, but seems not to be so high for a 4.9 Cadillac V8.

Keep in mind that the switch is bolted into metal, about an inch from the exhaust port. It never touches the coolant.
I would suspect that it gets much hotter than the coolant.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock