Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Radio and cigarette lighter went dead, no blown fuses...help!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Radio and cigarette lighter went dead, no blown fuses...help! by Ditkaphile
Started on: 09-14-2009 05:17 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Mike Gonzalez on 09-15-2009 10:04 PM
Ditkaphile

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
On my way to Fierorama and all of a sudden my radio crapped out. First it went to all static, then the display went out shortly after. Also noticed my cigarette lighter stopped working also. Checked the fuse for the radio and it's fine. If I turn the volume all the way up I hear static.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
I was just out for a drive and a noticed that the static sound changes pitch when I hit the brakes...definitely some weird electrical issue here.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Check BAT fuse.
Radio use 2 power circuit.
See case. electrical, general, lighter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
The slot marked BAT has no fuse in it, and it looks as though a regular size fuse wouldn't fit in there, the slot is more narrow than a regular fuse. I will go take a pic of my fuse box and post it in a few minutes.
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post

Ditkaphile

816 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Ok, it's upside down and blurry, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure there were never any fuses in those slots, and I have never seen a fuse that would fit in a slot that shape on a car fuse panel. On every car I have ever owned, those sized slots are always empty.

[This message has been edited by Ditkaphile (edited 09-14-2009).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Do your footwell courtesy lights work? They're on the same circuit as the radio and lighter.
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
The red 10 amp fuse you see in the pic is the radio fuse, and it is not blown.
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post

Ditkaphile

816 posts
Member since Apr 2007
I am a bit confused...there are little arrows pointing from the word "RADIO" to two different slots...one of which is the red 10 amp fuse in the pic (checked it and it's ok), the other arrow points to an empty slot that looks like it would require a fuse half that size. Same goes for the size of the unoccupied BAT fuse slot.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Those extra slots are not for fuses. They're there as extra slots if you want to run a new circuit to some accessory that will be protected by the fuse listed. You can plug in any regular bayonet (or flat blade style) push-in connector and run a wire to your new accessory from there for 12V. So the slots marked BAT are hot at all times, and the one marked RADIO is only hot when the ignition switch is in RUN or ACCY. The Fuse panel changed a bit from year to year, so what year is your car, and what engine do you have?
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
'87 Duke automatic.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
OK, so your BATT Fuse should be the fuse just above and half a fuse-width to the right of the RADIO Fuse (as seen in the car, NOT in your upside-down photo). It should be a yellow 20A Fuse. Is there anything marked on the panel for that one? Regardless, pull it out and check it to make sure it's not blown because that should be your BATT Fuse. And while you're at it, check your footwell lights when the door is open.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 09-14-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Blooz...I will proceed with your tips tomorrow and report back.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
If it helps !

I do think this is related to your other VSS thread, got alot of thing going out on like circuits.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:
Do your footwell courtesy lights work? They're on the same circuit as the radio and lighter.

Those are an option. Many car don't have it. If he has the option, and if bulb/socket are good, then he may see light turn on when he closed the door. They often work backward then BAT fuse is blown. Something use the courtesy lights when as power (or ground) and the BAT fuse is dead. I don't remember what. I have seen this happen and other seen it too. It's very odd the first time it happen.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-14-2009).]

Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
Getting a sweet diagram of the the fuse block from Mike....free

Getting Ogre to chime in again...free

Having people you have never met help you fix your Fiero...PRICELESS

Thanks for the fuse diagram Mike, and thanks for your input Ogre
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post

Ditkaphile

816 posts
Member since Apr 2007
By the way I went back out and opened my door and I have no footwell lights...but it was dark and I don't know if the car even has them or if the bulb is burnt out in the event that the car does have them. I will report back tomorrow.

I love you guys.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
This article may help give you better insight into the wierd electrical issues. Scroll down a bit to "the phantom courtesy light mystery" .
http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/screwup.html

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"
Now fortified with 8 essential slices of bacon goodness

Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
It was that 20 amp yellow fuse. Radio works again...woo hoo!

Thanks guys!!!!!
Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure my issue is close to this one too... I haven't even attempted to figure it out yet since I have bigger issues (brakes and engine not starting) to work on.

Mine has an aftermarket Sirius satellite radio installed by Tweeter several years ago. The deck does nothing but flashes a light inside the display on and off. In perfect sync to the radio the footwell lights also flash on and off while the car is driving. Also the horn is not working BUT I can hear the relay clicking and yes... the footwell lights go on and off by pressing the horn...
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ditkaphile:

It was that 20 amp yellow fuse. Radio works again...woo hoo!

Thanks guys!!!!!

Did the speedo come back ? or still a problem ?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock