Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How to change manual transmission fluid?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How to change manual transmission fluid? by carcinogen
Started on: 09-05-2009 02:46 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 11-20-2009 08:56 PM
carcinogen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carcinogenSend a Private Message to carcinogenDirect Link to This Post
I've done some searching and found out a lot of stuff about the merits of using Synchromesh fluid and not needing to change fluid, yadda yadda yadda, but I haven't been ab=le to find anything about actually changing the fluid.

I have an 84 4spd. I understand there's some kind of fill plug on the tranny?
Do I still have to take the VSS out in order to check if the fluid level is right?
It seems that a lot of people have had trouble breaking their VSSs when they removed them. I don't want to take it out if I don't have to.
Someone also mentioned an "oil filler gun." Do I need one of these?
How much fluid is it supposed to take?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
It's not hard at all. There is a drain plug on the side (can't remember if it's inside or outside without looking) near the bottom of the transmission for draining.
Yes you fill through the VSS hole. I have not had any problems getting them out and have not hear of breaking them.
You just clean the area off aournd the VSS. (I like to degrease and wash it) remove the bolt and retainer and rotate and wiggle the VSS and slowly work it up.
If your really carefull and don't pull up to hard as you wiggle so that it does not pop out all at once. If it does you usually knock the VSS gear off into the transmission. That is not a big problem as long as it drop right below the hole. If it does I use one of those springy claw tools to grap it and pull it out. If you carefull and get the VSS to just come out I can get the gear to stay on if I lift straight up.

It's worth finding a new O-ring to put back on since they usually are swelled and hard to get back in.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 09-05-2009).]

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
84 trannys have a fill plug on the side of the trans. If you look around the bolts that hold the case together you will see a bolt all by its self. This is the fill plug. The drain plug is on the bottom of the trans. It would be handy to use a hand oil pump because it is hard to get a funnel on the hole and with a funnel in the hole you can't see as well when it is full. Most times I put to much in because I pour to fast. Fill it until the oil comes out of the fill hole, and put the plug in and your done.

Helms manual show a 3 qt. to fill the trans.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Well that is good to know. Was that only on the 84's I don't recall seeing one on the 85 4cyl transmission I had...
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
I believe that was an 84 only deal.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
im a noob. vss? explanation or pic please?
tvelarde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tvelardeClick Here to visit tvelarde's HomePageSend a Private Message to tvelardeDirect Link to This Post
Heck, we are all noobs in one way or another.

VSS stands for Variable Speed Sensor. It is the thingie that the speedometer cable plugs into on the passenger side of the transmission. You can check the fluid leve by using a little line that is scribed inside the portion that comes out of the transmission. Just be careful and take your time and follow the instructions of the pros that posted above.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Both my 85 and 86 4 speeds have a fill plug on the side.
These days I fill through the vss hole until oil comes out of the side hole. That way I know it's filled to the correct level. You can fill it through the side hole but then you have to be careful that any oil dripping does not fool you into thinking it's fill when it's not.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
From the 84 "Do it Yourself" Manual

Manual downloads http://www.fieronews.net/fu...nloads.php?cat_id=17

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

carcinogen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carcinogenSend a Private Message to carcinogenDirect Link to This Post
This has been helpful, guys. Thanks! I'm going to go mess around with it now.
perceptionist

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

From the 84 "Do it Yourself" Manual

Manual downloads http://www.fieronews.net/fu...nloads.php?cat_id=17

Is this info also applicable to the 5 speed manual Isuzu Transaxle in my 87 2.5L?

My main concern it not so much the drain/fill procedure, but the type of fluid to use.

[This message has been edited by perceptionist (edited 11-20-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I too would like to update from 5W30 to "syncromesh"... if only I could figure out where to buy it, or under what other names it comes. I'm in Canada so anybody out there that could point me in the right (Northerly) direction I would appreciate it.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I picked up ACDelco Synchromesh at my local auto parts store; the real parts store, not Crappy Tire.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-20-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock