polishing by ethan555
Started on: 08-29-2009 12:41 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: TopNotch on 08-29-2009 04:09 PM
ethan555

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
ok so i've seen people polish down their vaulve covers and so i did it. turned out great. but the next thing i'm polishing is the top part of the intake. i haven't seen this done anywhere. does anyone know of any pictures or if someone has doon it before? i would like to see what it would look like so i can get an idea.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
It'll look like crap

The intake castings are extremely porous
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

It'll look like crap

The intake castings are extremely porous

yes its true they are but i found out that they sand really easily. i've been able to get them almost just as smoth as sheet metal. the only part thats been hard is getting the edges, there's still a pit porous there but i'll see if i can work out something. =)
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
The intake castings are much worse than the valve covers
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

The intake castings are much worse than the valve covers

yeah i know i was talking about the intake. i'm only doing the top part. i have the other paited silver so i think it will look nice

i'll try to get some pictures up tonight. i'm not on my computer right now so i have none.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2009 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I did the top of my intake also. But, like stated earlier, it is very porus. This is the best that I could get it to polish up. Mothers Aluminum Polish and a polishing disc on an air tool.

Tony
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Here's my '86 polished up. I found the intake less porous than the valve covers. I'm constantly touching up the valve covers but the intake stays nice.

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

This is an 88 duke intake manifold, wire-brushed. It came out very shiny. It is cast aluminum, like the V6 intake, so wire brushing probably would shine that up also.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Bloozeberry and TopNotch.....Very nice.

Tony
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
both of thoughs are very nice. about how long did it take for you guys?

here's my vaulve covers.
i'm going to see if i can get the intake to about the same. i'll fill in the letters and groves with red like on the covers

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments there Tony and Ethan. Your valve covers are really nice too.

To be honest, mine took alot of work because of pits that were fairly deep (rust/salt zone/previous owner neglect). I did both upper and lower plenums and it probably took me close to 25 hours for the top plenum, and 35 hours for the bottom. I used a combination of belt sander, Dremel drum sanders of various diameters, and alot of hand sanding down to 400 grit before letting loose with an arbor-mounted polishing wheel for the bigger surfaces, and a smaller polishing wheel on a die grinder for the tight areas. Alot of work but worth it when you open up the trunk.

PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ethan555:

both of thoughs are very nice. about how long did it take for you guys?

Thanks for the complements. Wire-brushing the manifold only took a couple of evenings. Putting on the Super Duty valve cover is another story.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock