Rockcrawl's Performance 4.9 roller rocker Q by 81 4.9L X-11
Started on: 08-25-2009 06:18 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: 81 4.9L X-11 on 08-27-2009 09:40 PM
81 4.9L X-11

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out some more information on the roller rockers Rockcrawl used on the performance 4.9 build - the adjustable ones from Angus racing. If anyone has info, pics or part #'s, I'd greatly appreciate it !!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm no 4.9 expert but as I recall, they take the 3.8 roller rockers. Somebody may correct me on this

Arn
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Well through some google business searching I was able to find contact for Angus racing. I would still like to hear from Rockcrawl about how he machined the rocker support ribs to hold the pedestals. Jon, you out there ??

Cheers
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I talked to them about those rockers a few weeks ago. They aren't making them any more. They were for small block Fords if I recall. But be aware that there is some machine work that would need to be done to the rocker mount to make any SBF rocker work. (I went ahead and ordered a standard set of 1.7 SBF rockers from them anyway) You have to machine the rocker support for the pedestals. It also appears as though you would have to elongate the bolt hols for the rocker mount itself so it can be moved outboard about 1/8" inch as the SBF rockers are smaller than the 4.9 rockers and they won't sit on the valve stem properly. Also Jon had to make spacers for the valve covers as those rockers sat higher and wouldn't clear. Try calling Angus anyway, as at least when I talked to them they said they were no longer in production, but they did have the parts on hand to put a set together. They were about 300 bucks if I recall, which was a bit out of my budget. The ones I got were about 170, but don't have the adjustable rod seats.
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Thanx for the reply - I did talk to Angus this morning. I really need to get the details of how Jon did the pedestals/ machined the rib before I can go forward.

Cheers,
Robert
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Good luck reaching him. I tried to send him a message asking for some details, but never heard back from him. I dunno if he's around or what...

The pedestals have a rectangular base. You have to machine a sort of slot in the mount to accept the base and keep it aligned. He did all the machine work himself if I understood his description. But for those of us without a shop available, we need to take the mount, rockers, and heads to the machine shop so they can align the rockers to the valves, and then machine the mounts for the pedestals. Then they will elongate the mounting holes to move the mount closer to the valves for proper contact between the rocker and the valve stem.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
It doesn't look good by this thread. Rick B

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074493.html
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Wow, that really sucks... Jon was a big contributor here - hope what ever is going on works out for him.

Thanx for the reply

Cheers
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Are you using the steel rocker supports, or the stock aluminum support?
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
I'm stuck in no-man's land right now.. The long & short is I got a complete setup from Bud Adelman and the workmanship is poor so I don't want put them on the motor. I'm looking for another option - I got a set of steel supports & was thinking to duplicate Rockcrawl's setup, but I don't like the valve cover troubles. Would have any suggestions?

Cheers
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I have seen rockcrawls in person and also copied his roller rockers. I also used 3800 late model series 1 roller pedistals. Both of which you can only use if you have cast steel rocker support bracket from an Allante. The machining as mentioned is required to keep the rockers from turning also the pedistals need to be shortened to the correct length. All of which IMO did not increase performance enough to justify the work, cost and also decreased reliablity. Rockcrawl had a failure, I also had some cracking develop in the rockers. Spend your efforts in Porting the heads and intake cause there is no use in opening the valves any further if you can not flow the air to them. We were both running a .5 lift which was why the mod in the first place.

Pete

------------------

PFF
System Bot
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Hey Pete,

I too have the .498 lift Delta cam - I got my heads done by Bud = P&P, larger valves, Beehive springs, etc. He took forever and said they were the last set he's ever do, but in the end I'm just not happy with the support ribs = pair he sent look like I did them. I had a local machinist working on making me a better set but he too has proved to be a tool - I don't know what's with machinist and thier work ethic !!

I would be very interested to know about the rocker failures you & Rockcrawl had - I take it was the Angus rockers & the 3.8 rockers ?? What do you think contributed to them failing ?? The setup I have right now has Crane Cams roller rockers on Bud's ribs, which I'm not going to use. I'm looking for options for the rockers, either having another set of ribs made (not likely) or milling down the steel allante ribs. Now you say the rockers fail on the steel ribs makes me wonder...

Thanx for the input !!

Cheers

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock