Started on: 08-22-2009 01:58 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Taijiguy on 08-29-2009 08:12 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've searched briefly for these data points, but haven't come across them.

Obviously this thread has a good bit of build info: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/061613.html

But I'm interested in getting down to brass tacks... The difference in compression between using MY99 Northstar pistons with valve reliefs and MY00 Northstar pistons with true flat tops, for instance.

Port dimensions (including volume) to understand what the optimal intake valve size should be would be good as well.

A thorough analysis to figure out just what the heads can do might be interesting... http://www.gofastnews.com/b...imal-port-areas.html

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-22-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The fastest 4.9 that I have known of was HER86GT which was built by PBJ.

Run a search on either in the archive and you should find it. I don't believe they used Northstar parts in it and it was turbo'd.

Arn
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Obviously this thread has a good bit of build info: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/061613.html

But I'm interested in getting down to brass tacks... The difference in compression between using MY99 Northstar pistons with valve reliefs and MY00 Northstar pistons with true flat tops, for instance.

Port dimensions (including volume) to understand what the optimal intake valve size should be would be good as well.

A thorough analysis to figure out just what the heads can do might be interesting... http://www.gofastnews.com/b...imal-port-areas.html

anybody got a computer program to do that?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
There are computer programs to get into that depth, but they cost a LOT of money...
The ideal way to port heads, of course, is to map out the port with a CMM; export the 3D model of the port into a CFD program; have a pro dial in the port model and the CFD model to produce best results, then export the new port model to CAM software and have a 5 axis CNC mill cut the new port shape into the head.

PBJ's thread has some *minimal* info on head flow data and chamber size.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...0206-1-023354-7.html
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

the MY99's are 0.2 less comrpession than the MY00
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
At this point, you're better giving up on the Caddy and getting a Chevy V8, either the traditional SBC with heads from AFR or Dart, or an LSX of some sort. Between these and the Caddys, the LSX has the strongest blocks and cranks to start with, and are the only choice that can offer 450 HP with nothing fancier than CAI, cam and headers.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

At this point, you're better giving up on the Caddy and getting a Chevy V8, either the traditional SBC with heads from AFR or Dart, or an LSX of some sort. Between these and the Caddys, the LSX has the strongest blocks and cranks to start with, and are the only choice that can offer 450 HP with nothing fancier than CAI, cam and headers.

You are missing the point... you may as well have suggested a 3800SC swap or an Ecotech swap. Will is a N*/Caddy guy.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 08-24-2009).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
It seems kind of dumb anyway for someone to tell someone else that in the middle of a swap, or even after the fact, that they should go with something different. What's the point? Is that advice they think is actually going to be heeded? Or are they just trying to diss someone else's choices?
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I think I recall Jon@fieroaddiction doing some work on the combustion chamber. Mostly some enlarging followed by getting the heads cc'd. Might be of some help if you can reach him.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

the MY99's are 0.2 less comrpession than the MY00

Other way around. MY00's make full rated power on 87 octane, thanks to chamber redesign and slight drop in compression. MY99's require 91 octane.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I think I recall Jon@fieroaddiction doing some work on the combustion chamber. Mostly some enlarging followed by getting the heads cc'd. Might be of some help if you can reach him.

*IF* I decide that a 4.9 is worth playing with for anything at all, then I want to keep chamber volume to a minimum... basically just unshroud the valves (GFN has another DV article on *exactly* how to do that). The engine needs all the compression it can get to get the most out of those atrocious heads.

That's a big *IF* also, because the effort that will yield 300 HP from a 4.9 will yield 500+ from a VVT Northstar.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-24-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

*IF* I decide that a 4.9 is worth playing with for anything at all, then I want to keep chamber volume to a minimum... basically just unshroud the valves (GFN has another DV article on *exactly* how to do that). The engine needs all the compression it can get to get the most out of those atrocious heads.

That's a big *IF* also, because the effort that will yield 300 HP from a 4.9 will yield 500+ from a VVT Northstar.

at what cost though? a BIG portion of rick stewart's build cost came from chrome plating his allante inatke and valve covers. it's not as expensive as everyone thinks it is to build up the 4.9L
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Other way around. MY00's make full rated power on 87 octane, thanks to chamber redesign and slight drop in compression. MY99's require 91 octane.

you sure about that? the octane rating could have to do with computer tuning... i was always under the impression that the flat-tops had 0.2 higher compression because they didnt have the valve reliefs.

oh well, you learn something new everyday

------------------
'84 2m4, 4.9L Caddy, 4-speed econo muncie, A/C, power steering, wowie sauce.
Click here to go to GreenBarrelGifts.com

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The flat tapper and roller cam heads are very different. The chambers got deeper, which allowed GM to get rid of the valve reliefs.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Understood. My point was since he had done that kind of thing Jon may have some of the info you are looking for. If he CC'd the modified combustion chamber then he may well have a baseline that he started from. The only reason I see to lower compression is for boosted applications (which might be fun with similar mods to what Rich Stewart did and the addition of headers).

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-25-2009).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Go for 300 lb.ft. at 2200 RPM!
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
This may have seemed like I was trying to diss, but I'm into practicality, and return on investment, not petty stuff like dissing. Why spend all that money for bragging rights that really only matter to the 3 or 4 other people who really care about the 4.9. No matter what you do to a Cad 4.9, you could get better results cheaper and easier from a 4.8L LSX. It's also cheaper and easier than the N*. Fieros aren't worth megabuck engine builds, and the best bang for the buck is not and cannot be a cad engine. It seems like the goal here is efficiency, making good use of optimized heads, and for that, the LSX beats either Caddy V8. You may as well get an old Ford flathead V8 from the 1930s as play with the 4.9, it's really not significantly better.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
You're still missing the point... why did KurtAKX set up a flow bench to test porting Duke heads... I bet its not for bragging rights. It's fine that you wouldn't do a Caddy swap of any kind, I am not going to either...
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I know people that do just exactly that (the flathead, that is. they even run one at Bonneville)

You don't like the idea. Fine. You say you're not into dissing other ideas but I disagree. That's EXACTLY what you just did. How many Fiero engine swaps and how many different types of motors have YOU PERSONALLY put in. Any from scratch, no kits used? I have. I've done 3.4, 4.9, Northstar, SBC. Now I'm doing an LS. To be honest, I like the 4.9 the best and it's the best bang for the buck in a daily driver (IN MY OPINION). If Will does this and finds a way to pick up an extra 30-40 hp without spending tons of money, good for him because it will make the 4.9 even MORE attractive. As it is in stock form, the 4.9 will give you about a 35% hp increase (and a LOT more torque) than a well sorted out 3.4 pushrod motor, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

You say the cars aren't worth megabuck engine builds. You should qualify that. They're not worth it to YOU. Fine. Don't do them. Others enjoy getting their hands dirty and solving problems by doing things differently. Just sit back and take their knowledge so you can do it easier. That's not a slam, that's how most people do it. Thank God not everyone does.

It's a hobby. Some people like to do things just because they can, or because they want to learn, or because it's simply there. No other reason and because you don't like it or think it "impractical" means absolutely nothing.

John Stricker

This may have seemed like I was trying to diss, but I'm into practicality, and return on investment, not petty stuff like dissing. Why spend all that money for bragging rights that really only matter to the 3 or 4 other people who really care about the 4.9. No matter what you do to a Cad 4.9, you could get better results cheaper and easier from a 4.8L LSX. It's also cheaper and easier than the N*. Fieros aren't worth megabuck engine builds, and the best bang for the buck is not and cannot be a cad engine. It seems like the goal here is efficiency, making good use of optimized heads, and for that, the LSX beats either Caddy V8. You may as well get an old Ford flathead V8 from the 1930s as play with the 4.9, it's really not significantly better.

scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodDirect Link to This Post

I am baffled by your statements. How do you define better, cheaper and easier results.
My 4.9 Fiero was cheap and easy to build. Not including the car, I have about 1000.00 in the build.
Wrecked caddy 200.00
Regrind cam 100.00
Head work 250.00
gaskets etc 100.00
Quad 4 converter 50.00
exhaust, mounts, rockcrawl chip, hoses, axle, wires etc... less than 300.00
swapped caddy remains for Lesabre trans with better gear ratio.
I am not sure what a LSX swap cost, but I bet it can not even come close. I am sure the swap kit alone is once or twice that. So 4.9 cheaper cheaper= better
I do not know what a LSX swap runs in the quarter, but my 4.9 on street tires runs 12.80's with a 1.80 60' time. I know there are faster motors, butagain, for what I spent, you are still saving just to buy the swap kit. Quicker cheaper swap = better.
My converter has to much stall, and there is no tuning on the chip other than changing shift point, Passkey etc. It runs pig rich at full throttle ~ 11-1 afr. I think with some tuning and converter change (stalls higher than the torque peak), 12.5 is not that far out of reach.
If I wanted it to go faster, I think i would go with a 3800sc. There is a reason they dominate the quarter mile charts and not the been there done that stick it in anything chevy V-8.

Gene
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post
I like turtles.
PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by scrabblegod:

I am baffled by your statements. How do you define better, cheaper and easier results.
My 4.9 Fiero was cheap and easy to build. Not including the car, I have about 1000.00 in the build.
Wrecked caddy 200.00
Regrind cam 100.00
Head work 250.00
gaskets etc 100.00
Quad 4 converter 50.00
I am not sure what a LSX swap cost, but I bet it can not even come close. I am sure the swap kit alone is once or twice that. So 4.9 cheaper cheaper= better
I do not know what a LSX swap runs in the quarter, but my 4.9 on street tires runs 12.80's with a 1.80 60' time. I know there are faster motors, butagain, for what I spent, you are still saving just to buy the swap kit. Quicker cheaper swap = better.
My converter has to much stall, and there is no tuning on the chip other than changing shift point, Passkey etc. It runs pig rich at full throttle ~ 11-1 afr. I think with some tuning and converter change (stalls higher than the torque peak), 12.5 is not that far out of reach.
If I wanted it to go faster, I think i would go with a 3800sc. There is a reason they dominate the quarter mile charts and not the been there done that stick it in anything chevy V-8.

Gene

Hey Gene, what sized cam do you have in there, what "headwork" was done to the heads, and whats the gear ratio on that lasabre tranny? sorry for the 3-part question...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Better results in terms of power and performance, yes, but cheaper? Doubt it. The 5.3's are cheaper than the 4.8's anyway. LSx = adapter plate, which adds cost/effort.
I can also think of apps for which an aluminum block V8 is preferrable to an iron block V8 without regard to power.

I'm just curious about the engine... that's all. It looks like no one has done the due diligence on these engines anyway...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-26-2009).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Wrecked caddy 200.00
Regrind cam 100.00
Head work 250.00
gaskets etc 100.00
Quad 4 converter 50.00

Gene

I got my second 5.3 for $75 complete, on Pick-N-Pull's half price day. My adapter plate was $19 for an 18" x 18" piece of 1/4" steel, and I already had the drill bit. My used LS6 cam ran me $50, and the LS1 intake was free. Having my local machine shop modify the 2.8 flywheel to bolt to the 5.3 was a total of $70. And who's dumb enough to pay $250 for porting? That's way too much $$. And even after all that, they don't equal the stock 5.3 heads. I got a water pump from a wrecked RV for $20, and mounted it up front by the Fiero radiator. The GM LS1 swap manual has enough info to build your own wiring harness, and getting the VATS de-programmed was $50. All that's left is mounting the starter, and doing an exhaust system. I got a pair of '00 Z28 exhaust manifolds for $50, and they fit very well. My swap is no more costly than yours.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008
oh, further, black coffee's LS4/4T65E-HD Fiero ran 12.6s, so I'm surely ahead of that. As for the L67, it dominates because it's done by people who do things right, while SBCs are done by cheap-out artists. Name me the top 3 L67-into-Fiero swappers, and I'll name you the same 3 people as being people capable, if they could get their heart into it, of making an SBC fiero even quicker.
scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodDirect Link to This Post

And who's dumb enough to pay $250 for porting? That's way too much $$.

New springs, retainers, cutting spring seats, milling .050, valve job etc 250.00 is not a bad price.
Of course I would expect a Chevy V-8 fan boy to be dumb enough to think it is.
scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodDirect Link to This Post

scrabblegod

1014 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Oh, further, way are you hanging out in a 4.9 thread instead of bumping uglies in a Chevy V-8 thread with the other fan boys.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Settle down, folks. Forget these pissing matches. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the prize for the cheapest build is a ride back from the strip on a roll-back.

I'm just interested in detailed information on 4.9 heads. If you ask me why, I'll ask you why not. If you ask me why not a 5.3, I'll ask you why a 5.3.

I just want the info. The ego is irrelevant.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

New springs, retainers, cutting spring seats, milling .050, valve job etc 250.00 is not a bad price.
Of course I would expect a Chevy V-8 fan boy to be dumb enough to think it is.

Pissing contests are for kids. What I post now, I'm posting as fact, for the info of everyone. I've been a professional automotive machinist for nearly 10 years now. I've spent thousands of hours on a new SuperFlow 1020 flow bench, with every option, including swirl meter and wet flow capabilities. I've spent thousands more on the Serdi, and tens of thousands more hand-porting. I can do for $10 per port what anyone else charges $500 for. I usually give my friends the price of $5 per port. As for my skill, The first ever Vortec 350 I did, after my very first pass at it, surpassed Joe Mondello's best effort. That's my best example, but I have other results that prove I'm as much of a natural as he or Tony Mamo or Jud Massengill, or any other you can name. If you want great porting, PM me.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008
By the way, Dumb? Not me. I have a genius level IQ.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

WTH? What's you're function here? You're not being helpful, you've made it abundantly clear you don't like the 4.9 swap, so what is it exactly you want? Do you really think you're telling any of us anything we don't already know, that a 4.9 will never be as fast as a SBC or LSx. Wow. Way to state the obvious. Maybe we don't CARE. I'm getting into my 4.9 swap. No adapters, no convoluted water pump configurations, no dealing with certain vendors. Glad you like your LS swap. Why not go find an LS thread and quit acting as if those of us who like our 4.9 are somehow inferior.

By the way, Dumb? Not me. I have a genius level IQ.

Usually, intelligent people don't have to tell others how smart they are.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 08-28-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Is that the impression you get? Respect the efforts of your elders who are trying to give you, for free, the benefit of their experience and learning and WISDOM! also, high IQ and justifiably big ego aren't mutually exclusive. If the OP asks me to stop participating, then I'll go. Taji, why raise hell with me now after I helped you with your realistic approach to your 4.9?
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Pissing contests are for kids. What I post now, I'm posting as fact, for the info of everyone. I've been a professional automotive machinist for nearly 10 years now. I've spent thousands of hours on a new SuperFlow 1020 flow bench, with every option, including swirl meter and wet flow capabilities. I've spent thousands more on the Serdi, and tens of thousands more hand-porting. I can do for $10 per port what anyone else charges $500 for. I usually give my friends the price of $5 per port. As for my skill, The first ever Vortec 350 I did, after my very first pass at it, surpassed Joe Mondello's best effort. That's my best example, but I have other results that prove I'm as much of a natural as he or Tony Mamo or Jud Massengill, or any other you can name. If you want great porting, PM me.

What can you do with a 84-86 '767 casting Iron Duke head?
(Dry flow, .500" inlet radius, 28" H2O depression)
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Is that the impression you get? Respect the efforts of your elders who are trying to give you, for free, the benefit of their experience and learning and WISDOM! also, high IQ and justifiably big ego aren't mutually exclusive. If the OP asks me to stop participating, then I'll go. Taji, why raise hell with me now after I helped you with your realistic approach to your 4.9?

I'm just confused by what you're trying to accomplish. Whether or not you intend it, you're coming off as rather elitist, and a bit disrespectful of those of us who are doing this swap. I realize we had previous discussions about my swap, but you're coming off with a different attitude in this thread. Given that you seem to presenting a specific attitude towards this swap in general, then I suppose I'm raising hell with you as I'm included in the demographic your attacking here. If I'm mistaken, then please tell me how, but from what I've seen in here that appears to be the case.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock