Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Anyone currently doing a 3.4L Pushrod Swap?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone currently doing a 3.4L Pushrod Swap? by labbe001
Started on: 08-07-2009 11:34 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Saxman on 08-08-2009 09:32 PM
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
well the title says it all...is anyone in the middle of doing one of these swaps..i'm contemplating doing the swap myself but have never done anything to this magnitude...i actually want to get a 3.4L and completely rebuild it as well...if there is someone out there that is currently in to middle of this type of project, please let me know
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
there is a well built 3.2 in the Mall right now

anyways - the 3.4 is a simply swap - in fact - its barely even a swap, being you put all Fiero stuff back on, and nothing actually changes, except the displacement.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I have a 3.4pr sitting in my garage already on a sub frame waiting to replace my tired 2.8.
Has already been in a fiero but was swapped out for a 4.9.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

well the title says it all...is anyone in the middle of doing one of these swaps..i'm contemplating doing the swap myself but have never done anything to this magnitude

You just looking to see what's involved? https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000026.html

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
If you feel that you are capable of successfully removing the 2.8 and putting it back in, then this swap is for you! You basically bolt all the Fiero engine parts onto the 3.4 - relocate the starter, get a new flywheel (no problem) - then put it back in. There are a few small details to take care of along the way, but definatly nothing too much to worry about!

Feel free to pm me if you decide to start the swap or if you want more info, as I work on my cars for fun and I have done the 3.4 OHV swap atleast six times.

Chris
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
i guess my biggest worry is not getting the 2.8 out and the 3.4 in..i've removed removed and installed 2.8L's before...my main concern is rebuilding the 3.4L...i've never rebuilt an engine before and i'm worried in tearing it down, i might end up doing something that cannot be fixed...like removing something i didn't need to remove or not numbering something and getting it out of order...things like that...any tips on some typical mistakes not to make tearing into an engine and the rebuilding it...thanks
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
my 2 mistakes were:
1> the timing chain. when you install it, you do it with both the pointers pointing at each other. this is not TDC #1 - it is TDC #4. TDC #1 is with both marks pointing upwards. This makes a difference when you go to put the distributer in.
2> do NOT lash the valves until you have the intake manifold gasket in place. the push rods go thru the gasket, and you should not cut the gasket.
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

2> do NOT lash the valves until you have the intake manifold gasket in place. the push rods go thru the gasket, and you should not cut the gasket.

could you give me a quick description on what you mean by lashing the valves?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

not really - it is quite a fussy procedure....
if you do a search, you'll find endless threads about it

but - it is basicly setting the rocker arm nut to take up the slack in the valve train
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

If you have a "Haynes" or "Chilton" repair manual, they both have a very good explanation of the procedure. Just read it and follow what it says - its not hard.
PFF
System Bot
MonteC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonteCSend a Private Message to MonteCDirect Link to This Post
Im starting my 3.4 swap. Ive got the old 2.8/getrag out and now am looking for a 3.4. Ive got a line on one so hopefully soon i can start the swap.

From reading the numerous post on this board about the swap it seems stupid easy.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion its a good swap. Its not going to give you the power of a 3800 or v8 or 4.9, but its nicer then the old 2.8, it is a super easy swap, and its reliable as hell. I did one about 6 or 7 years ago and it still runs without issue. Very simple to swap it in, just need to drill a few things on the block, and it looks stock.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
the 3.4 is a good "upgrade" for the fiero it opens up a lot of options for you. One of the biggest options is that if you want to, you can upgrade to the better 7730ECM and DIS on the engine to get a much improved engine control and better drive-ability and reliability. some claim even a jump in fuel economy.

I understand the desire to rebuild the engine, If you want the definitive bible on that engine you need to get this book : http://www.amazon.com/Rebui...id=1249741510&sr=8-1

How to rebuild your GM 60 degree V6. It tells you all about the upgrades you need to make to the engine (Hint: Start with a 1995 motor and most are already done) to fix all the flaws that cause failures. It actually has went way down in price. I paid $125.00 for my near mint used copy 3 years ago. But it is the absolute best book on the 3.4 pushrod and the 2.8. The chiltons and haynes manuals are jokes compared to it just based on the detail it gives you.

But, if you can find a camaro owned by grandpa that was rearended, you can skip the rebuild. Problems is that most camaros that had the 3.4 pushrod were ragged to death by the kids that owned them trying to drive them like they had a LT1 in them.

If you have an automatic, you have to grind away on a support to make the tranny fit, It's documented here but barely. Basically you need to test fit and then grind where it touches, not much needs to be removed.

3.4L pushrod is a great upgrade to make the car feel like it should have when it left the factory. It's a slight kick in the pants with the added low end torque, but enough to make you smile wider than when you had the 2.8.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 08-08-2009).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing a 3.4 swap right now, with DIS, 7730 Computer, and a 4T60. The whole works.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
The link to my swap(s) have allready been posted. (link in sig)
It has pics on everything from the swap, full rebuild and all.
I have done over 20 of them now.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Rather than wade through 14 pages of "Looking good! More pics plz!" you can get the simple, step-by-step instructions here.

http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org

------------------

- Electron Blue '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 1): Before After 430hp ZZ430 V8/Ram-Port FI--Wanna Race? Follow it here on the Forum!
Pics, Vids, Specs & more at the ZZ430 Fiero webpage
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 139) w/cammed 3.4
- LT4 6-speed C4 Corvette Roadster
- LS1 6-speed C5 Corvette Roadster

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

The link to my swap(s) have allready been posted. (link in sig)
It has pics on everything from the swap, full rebuild and all.
I have done over 20 of them now.

Go with Sard. Good stuff there! Helped me a lot. MIne felt great!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock