Front/Spare Tire Compartment Removal? by labbe001
Started on: 07-30-2009 11:31 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Pyrthian on 07-30-2009 12:57 PM
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
was interested to see if anyone has removed the plastic piece in the front/spare tire compartment. if so, how diffucult is it to remove and re-install....the piece i'm talking about it pretty much the bottom of the compartment and is what the spare tire rests on..hope i'm making myself clear
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
pretty easy.. just unbolt everything that holds it in. You have to remove the jack, washer tank, the freshair hoses, spare and a bunch of 7mm screws.

lifts out then.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, the spare tire tub is not to tough to remove
first, of course, remove the spare tire, and the jack.
then remove the actual brackets for the jack
near the cowl, you will see a little rubber downspout, with a tiny screw - undo that, and twist & pull
there are several wide washered screws to remove also.
thats it. pull up, and it will need a little "flex" to get past the master cylinder
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post
If I recall correctly, the rod that holds the spare tire in place is attached at the driver's side by two small rivets that go thru the plastic tub into the frame rail. You have to drill them out to get the tub out.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

If I recall correctly, the rod that holds the spare tire in place is attached at the driver's side by two small rivets that go thru the plastic tub into the frame rail. You have to drill them out to get the tub out.

the rod itself is removable, and the bracket can remain
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
You have to remove the jack, the jack's bracket and windshield washer tank. Also disconnect the drain hoses that go from the cowl to the spare tire tub. On some years, the brake line for the front right wheel is attached to a clip on the radiator side - just pop the line from the clip.

All that's left is to pop the plastic retainers and remove the screws located across the front top edge. Pull it up on the passenger side and you CAN maneouver it out by pulling to toward you.

It sounds like a lot, but you can get it out in about 15 minutes.

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I've not had to remove the windhsield washer tank
StockGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
If your car has a Sunroof, you will need to remove a few more parts. A plastic tray by the cowl, and two brackets at the front of the compartment. The extra parts are easy to remove.
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
wow..thanks you guys for all the help...i was worried it was gonna be way more complicated than that...maybe i should have done that before i replaced the brake line to my rear brakes and the hyd clutch line...probably would have made things a whole lot easier. anyway, live and learn i guess...and thanks again
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:
wow..thanks you guys for all the help...i was worried it was gonna be way more complicated than that...maybe i should have done that before i replaced the brake line to my rear brakes and the hyd clutch line...probably would have made things a whole lot easier. anyway, live and learn i guess...and thanks again

lol - yes - it sure do!
getting the lines thru thatb little rubber block with the tub in the way is a real Pain In The A$$

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock