Started on: 07-12-2009 08:30 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 12-03-2009 07:40 PM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
yup, here is a kit i found in search for "window defroster kits" http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm im sure there are more kits out there, just search more. this is a cheaper solution to replacing my entire decent back window. i dont have that kind of cash to find a good one, pay for it to be shipped to me, and to pay someone to replace it for me. im not daring enough to do it myself on my fiero.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, never seen that before. Sure as heck looks alot easier than pulling the rear window for sure. I know my GT didnt come w/ the rear defrost and I've always thought about seeing if it was possible to put into the car.

But of the 3x that I've tried to pull the rear windows of other Fiero's, its not gone really well.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
so you too see that this is a much easier and affordable step to take.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 07-12-2009).]

jazz4cash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
I put one of those aftermarket defrosters on the 1st car I ever had in 1972. I did it because the car had no heat and I did not have the skills to rip out the heater core. On a 2 seater like the Fiero, I would think the rear defroster is a luxury assuming you have heat in your car. The dash vents will probably blow enough air onto the back window to keep it frost free.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Now that I'm no longer using my rear window defroster grid as a radio antenna, I'm looking for a way to get rid of it completely.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Back when I was daily driving (read: winter driving) my 88 that didn't have a rear defrost, I always found that by the time the engine heated up enough for the vents to blow warm air, the snow and ice had melted off the rear glass from being right above the engine.

EDIT: Though, my S10 doesn't have a rear defrost... maybe I should think about this kit before winter comes!

[This message has been edited by pHoOl (edited 07-13-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
does that antenna defroster conversion allow both to work? i dont remember and im too lazy to search right now.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I always thought the rear defrost was the most pointless thing EVER in a Fiero. I can't even imagine why you would want to put one on, and yes I lived in cold climates.
The engine heat keeps the back window frost free, ALWAYS. Pointless, just like the after market "cold air intake" and "strut brace". And if you bought those I'll sell you a bridge, and some swap land.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I always thought the rear defrost was the most pointless thing EVER in a Fiero. I can't even imagine why you would want to put one on, and yes I lived in cold climates.
The engine heat keeps the back window frost free, ALWAYS. Pointless, just like the after market "cold air intake" and "strut brace". And if you bought those I'll sell you a bridge, and some swap land.

Like most things in life, Whether or not the Fiero engine heat clears or adds fog depends on many factors. It may be different in a dry climate, but here in HUMID Houston, there is ALWAYS dew on the windows in the morning. The heat from the engine ADDS to it. I found my defogger to be very useful, but I lost it in the choptop. This kit would be useful to get it back.

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

When I bought my first Fiero in '84, New York state law made rear defoggers mandatory on all cars even though the one on a Fiero is not very useful. My latest Fiero was originally from California and it has no defroster and I don't even miss it.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Like most things in life, Whether or not the Fiero engine heat clears or adds fog depends on many factors. It may be different in a dry climate, but here in HUMID Houston, there is ALWAYS dew on the windows in the morning. The heat from the engine ADDS to it. I found my defogger to be very useful, but I lost it in the choptop. This kit would be useful to get it back.

here here! oklahoma city is the same way. that, and since i have the option, i want it to work. even if i dont use it.

------------------
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

wow - cant even picture it
because yes - up here - My Fiero back window is cleared quicker than any other car in my driveway - and they all have rear defrosters.
but - yes - I can see how the engine could pick up humidity from below the car, and deposit it on the rear window
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

wow - cant even picture it

It's probably hard to picture the overnight low temperature being 81F after a blistering 101F high temp too.

There is so much moisture in the air here that hot humid air from the engine does nothing but add to the problem.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

It's probably hard to picture the overnight low temperature being 81F after a blistering 101F high temp too.

There is so much moisture in the air here that hot humid air from the engine does nothing but add to the problem.

again, HERE HERE!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
has anyone added this yet?

------------------
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Wow!
I have to get one for my truck! I plow snow & the rear window is always fogged or iced up.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

I agree totally. I disconnected them on both mine and used them solely for radio antenna. I dont think you can use it for both, Chrylser now does it from factory but uses 2 seperate grids. I never had a fogged up rear window I can remember of. I always had the center ducts pointed straight back and up but dont know if that had an effect or not.

86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
I had looked at that for another vehicle. Aren't they too big to fit in the fiero window?

EDIT: 13 inches in height, with another 1-3 for a buffer on each end. How tall is the fiero rear window?

[This message has been edited by 86fierofun (edited 12-03-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ive had my window fug up. but that was before i got the recall weather strip on there.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I thought the recall on that rubber strip gave instructions for dealer to remove them....
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
probably. got mine off ebay even tho this car isnt going to see rain that often, i must still have it.

------------------

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock