Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Rattle and Loose Door FIX- Best $16 I ever spent on my Fiero!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Rattle and Loose Door FIX- Best $16 I ever spent on my Fiero! by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 07-09-2009 10:27 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: D2inDFW on 08-23-2009 07:10 PM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
Many have seen the threads that suggest using the "Ford" replacement door striker bolt I'm sure, but I just had to post a new thread because I am so pleased with the results! I couldn't believe it actually- my Formula only has 30k on it, and the doors do not have a lot of use/wear on the original striker bolts, so I was a little dubious that this would actually help with my "rattles." But I decided to try it, and wow- no up and down movement now. Seems to me that they used too small a striker bolt when the cars were new.

At any rate, EVERYONE should try these.

HELP! brand striker bolt for a FORD #38421

All you do is remove the washer, slide off the plastic sleeve, put the washer back on, and then switch it out with your original striker bolt. Easy as that, and worked like a charm!

-Gary

one of the original threads:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...219-2-080920.html#p0

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 07-09-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
In the thread you posted, he had to shave the head of the striker down. Did you run into any problems to where that would be necessary?
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

In the thread you posted, he had to shave the head of the striker down. Did you run into any problems to where that would be necessary?

I did not- it was as simple as I posted. Nothing modded except removing that plastic sleeve that you'll see on the replacement striker when you look at one and then swap them out...
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Thanks!!!
I'm off to the parts store to get a couple tonight!

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
Where do you get these? Auto parts store like Autozone or online?
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I called the local NAPA. They dont have the HELP brand but did a cross reference & came up with part number: 6755138. Cost $14 each.
Not sure if they would work the same or not.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

Nosferatu187

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
FieroFanatic13 is right, this is a great fix for rattling doors! I put up with my driver's side door rattling for years and this fixed it. I found the HELP! striker bolt at Advance Auto. I didn't have to modify it at all, just removed the plastic sleeve.

Mike
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I did this and can attest to it, however my door problems are far worse than that. My door sags and still rattles even with the larger striker bolt. I need new pins and bushings, which I already have but I don't have the time or a helper to get it done. Someday..
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

Where do you get these? Auto parts store like Autozone or online?

Autozone carries them on the shelf everywhere I've been. Not sure about other chain stores or more local type shops.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:

I called the local NAPA. They dont have the HELP brand but did a cross reference & came up with part number: 6755138. Cost $14 each.
Not sure if they would work the same or not.

That is the same number that I was quoted, They said that it was the "Help" product repackaged for "Napa". Anyone use the Napa part yet or am I the guinea pig?

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

That is the same number that I was quoted, They said that it was the "Help" product repackaged for "Napa". Anyone use the Napa part yet or am I the guinea pig?

The price I saw earlier for the NAPA part isn't very good- I paid $7.99 each for the HELP! brand bolts. I wouldn't pay $13-$14 for one of the NAPA ones unless you get a pair. But maybe the price you were quoted was better?
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:
The price I saw earlier for the NAPA part isn't very good- I paid $7.99 each for the HELP! brand bolts. I wouldn't pay $13-$14 for one of the NAPA ones unless you get a pair. But maybe the price you were quoted was better?

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I just searched Murrays/O'Reilly Auto Parts and just like you said, just $7.99 each for the Help striker bolts. I wonder why NAPA woukd charge so much for just one bolt? Makes you wonder sometimes.

EDIT,,,,,

Thank you sjmaye for this brilliant Fiero modification, your innovative idea is so appreciated, I hoist a root-beer in toast to you.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 07-14-2009).]

Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
Bringing this thread back for those who missed it.

I just did this to 2 of my Fieros about 3 hours ago. The one with really sad door hinges that need rebuilt it helped but still have a small rattle over big bumps. The other one with just a little bit of sag from the hinges got fixed right up. No rattle at all. Also, since the new striker bolts come all silver and shiny from the parts store, I used the old black washer. Makes it look much better with just the bolt shiny instead of the washer too.

These are available at Autozone and Murrays/Oreilly. Awesome little upgrade/replacement. Everyone should do it.
zigaroo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
Will this solve the rattling from simply closing the door with the window partially or fully down? Sounds like the entire door is going to come apart when I close it.

Otherwise, over bumps, I do have a little bit of rattling that's a tad annoying.
DougC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zigaroo:

Will this solve the rattling from simply closing the door with the window partially or fully down? Sounds like the entire door is going to come apart when I close it.

Otherwise, over bumps, I do have a little bit of rattling that's a tad annoying.

In mine that rattle is caused by deteriorated dew wipes not holding the glass firmly. Check out the felt on yours. If that's good it could be a screw loose.
Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by zigaroo:

Sounds like you have more than just worn striker bolts. This will help the "over the bumps rattle" not sure if it will do much about the rest.

Really it is cheap enough though that even if it doesn't fix it, you are not breaking the bank either.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I remember my 88 when new had a thin gray plastic sleeve on the striker. With age (earlu 90s) it broke apart. That's when it started to rattle. I have never seen a new GM replacement with that sleeve. Will try this as mine still rattles a little even after fixing the pins.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Everywhere here they want 20 bucks PER bolt
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Everywhere here they want 20 bucks PER bolt

in Canada at least

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Just bought two bolts. $8+ each here. Installed them today on my red car. The driver door felt much tighter right away. I haven't driven the car yet but I'm sure it will not rattle or do it much less. The passenger door was way much tighter. I have to slam the door kind of hard for it to close. But that door has been tighter since day one as it is rarely used. I will leave it like that. This definitely is a nice find that all Fiero owners should be aware. Thanks to all involved. Now to get another pair for the dead yellow one ;-)
D2inDFW

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Bought two bolts at Autozone at about $8 each and a tube of white lithium grease.

Measured the shank of the striker bolt to be about 10/1000 inch larger, but the bolt head is much larger.

Ten minutes install and lube and the doors are much quieter.

I am verry happy with the results.

Regards,

David

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay