Started on: 07-04-2009 04:25 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-11-2009 05:30 PM
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
This project started last summer when my son came home from Virginia (in the Navy) he pulled the 85 SE that was his first car into the garage and started stripping the engine bay. This was his way of kicking me in the ass to get going with my second swap.

The obligatory in the engine bay picture

The engine bay after cleaning painting and new insulation

Cam tower with cam lock installed

Buildup on the 88 cradle

Old and New

Built and ready to install Front

Built and ready to install Back

In she goes

From the Driver side

Passenger side

A little history the engine is from a 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix with a ECM from a 1997 Monte Carlo. I retained the OBD II system for the engine. The ECM was reprogrammed using HP Tuners software.

The only major problems that I encountered were first an oil pressure sensor that leaked right through the connector, and the big one was the Crank Position Sensor wired backward.

After sorting these problems out ( of course there were a lot of little things) I got the car on the Dyno and this is the results

She pulls and pulls and pulls!!!!

My thanks to Brian Rothmund of Shelley's Performance for all the Help.

NOW to MAKE HER LOOK PRETTY
Fiero Fest Richland Wa. August 8 here we come.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ricksmastermix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for this post. Keep it coming.
Can't get enough of the 3.4 DOHC
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Looks to be a neat and well done installation. How about a bit of detail on the wiring?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I spoke to another forum member, Aaronkoch, who drove this beast last night. He claims that it just screams! From what I have seen of this motor, FieroKing has put in a lot of work just to get to this point. The engine really look like it was born in there. I heard it run a few weeks back, but it had a hardy miss going on. Now, I can't wait to hear her running strong on all 6 cylinders.

------------------

Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see someone else do a later year 96-97 swap. My Getrag is fun but after a couple of years I wish I had an automatic. I like your exhaust setup better than mine. Mine is too loud. Used stock exhaust on 3.4 and split to twin cats to reasonator tips. It appears you did not cut the trunk either. What muffler did you use? IS it for a Fiero? I think I will switch my setup to what yours is like as well as keeping my tips.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 07-08-2009).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I'll let Fieroking chime in on the specifics, but his exhaust isn't really subtle..

It's not overly loud, but it definitely sounds like a performace car. My favorite thing about it is the sound the 60* V6 makes over 6k, it has a beautiful harmonic to it. I bought a 3800 from fieroking here this week that i'm putting into my '88, and I might try to get jiggy with it to do a dual exhaust, to try to get something approaching a 60* sound..
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

I'll let Fieroking chime in on the specifics, but his exhaust isn't really subtle..

It's not overly loud, but it definitely sounds like a performace car. My favorite thing about it is the sound the 60* V6 makes over 6k, it has a beautiful harmonic to it. I bought a 3800 from fieroking here this week that i'm putting into my '88, and I might try to get jiggy with it to do a dual exhaust, to try to get something approaching a 60* sound..

Dual exhaust just makes it sound like 2 junk motors trying to compete over who sounds the worst.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Dual exhaust just makes it sound like 2 junk motors trying to compete over who sounds the worst.

not the 60 degree ..it enhances the great sound ( stereo ) that is inherent of the 60 degree engine

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the exhaust is using a Camaro Magnaflow Muffler. I use this brand of muffler on my Mopar and they are about as loud as the Flotech Afterburner used on my 3800SC. These mufflers have a V shaped baffle that directs sound towards the side of the muffler but there isn't that much inside the case.
I've heard a 3.4DOHC rev and it reminds me of a European engine sound. While these engines will rev to 7,000 RPM, it must be remembered that they use a slightly modified 60* block that is very similar to the the one used on the 3.4L push rod engines. This brings up the question of engine longevity when the engine is used consistently in the high RPM ranges. Regardless this is a very nice looking swap and the owner should enjoy driving it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This brings up the question of engine longevity when the engine is used consistently in the high RPM ranges.
Well, GM thought it would last just fine and gave it a 7000 rpm limit. I run the snot out of mine on a daily basis past 7000rpm for almost 5 yrs with no problems

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

ROFL, well, you haven't seen my special exhaust yet. It may contain magical leperchauns that transform inbred buick sounds into a symphony of delight. Or, I'll just stick with a single because it's easier.
PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I have taken so long to reply, been installing a 3,4 DOHC Dash in the car.

I am using a muffler similar to the Flow Master that I bought off Ebay. It is a baffle only type and while the car is not obnoxious it is a bit loud. I plan on changing to a Dynomax cross over type that has baffle material in it. I have a excelerator muffler like that in my 4.9 and just love the sound. The muffler is for a Camero.

The wiring I did on this install, were to start? I wanted to keep the OBD II ECM for the tuning. During the build I wanted to hide the wiring as much as possible. I routed the harness from the injectors down the rear (Fiero rear) of the engine and then went under the oil pan. The wiring harness tee's near the AC compressor with one part going to the engine fuse box (original) and feeding to the C500 connector. the other side feeds to the ECM in the standard mount in the cab. I also feed off this side to the MAF, Inlet temp, and the Cruise Control.

Other than the idle staying 1500 for a few seconds and having the Crank Position sensor backward ( a story in it's self), everything is working pretty well.

If there are more specific questions on the wiring please feel free to ask.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
When I did mine it was way too load for me so I inserted one of these into the pipe between the cat and (so called) muffler.

http://www.engineceramics.c...rdpart/ccinserts.htm

Made it a lot quieter.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

When I did mine it was way too load for me so I inserted one of these into the pipe between the cat and (so called) muffler.

http://www.engineceramics.c...rdpart/ccinserts.htm

Made it a lot quieter.

A more restrictive exhaust is the compromise when quieting the engine down. I don't want to lose valuable horsepower as races are won and lost by tenths!! My approach is to add more sound insulation to the passenger comparment so you don't hear it as much. The Flowmasters, Magnaflows, and Flowtechs are all loud. The Spintek is quieter and sounds way different but I've heard that they can create excessive back pressure.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock