LED tail light design and electrical by Enix
Started on: 06-09-2009 06:49 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Enix on 06-13-2009 06:24 PM
Enix

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixDirect Link to This Post
i've finished another term and my scholarly duties are now on hold as my summer break officially begins, which means time for a summer project: true LED tail lights. i haven't seen many successful or elaborate attempts at this (probably for the reason that most have no idea their way around the circuitry of it, like myself) and i wanted your guys' input on the design and hopefully help with the circuitry.

THE SETUP: i want to implement LEDs into notch-back tail lights by simply drilling LED-sized holes in the existing red lenses (not through the clear cover). i figured the grid pattern of the lenses would provide a good template for some creative patterns, the front depth of the grid would recess the LEDs, and the spacious area behind the lenses would hide the mess of wires. it would also save me the time and effort of fabricating a whole new enclosure of sorts. as part of the project i also plan on sanding off the black grid lines and cutting some spare red lenses to size to replace the clear lenses, creating a solid red assembly (if the LED setup doesn't turn out, i will still do this and just illuminate the middle section). reverse light LEDs will come into play once i can get a handle on all the aforementioned.

to start, i've MS Paint-ed some LED designs. so use your Fiero-eye and let me know which ones you guys prefer or suggest changes that i could play around with!

also, if any of you have a wit about LED circuitry, i would greatly appreciate help on wiring/resistors configuration.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tusch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschDirect Link to This Post
I like 4 and 6 for design. For circuitry, search on here, there have been a couple of nice setups. In fact I can think of at least one that did essentially what you want to do, by drilling into the red lens and sinking in the LEDs
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Go sequential or go home
CDubbz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTDirect Link to This Post
I thought about doing this as well, but my idea was to have two angled strips. They would look like slash marks on each side angled down towards the license plate one longer than the other and of course sequential. One for brake and one just for turning.
Good luck. btw i do like 7
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
You mean like this?

And of course the little circuitry is the sequencers.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 06-09-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
what program did you use to make that circuit?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
I like 4 and 6 also!!! i think they look BA good ideas man
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Do the 4 lights and spell PONTIAC with LEDs in between...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
That was all done by hand in 3D autocad. 100% by hand.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Do the 4 lights and spell PONTIAC with LEDs in between...

that would be awesome!!!
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Even better if you could get color changing LED's for the PONTIAC

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
wow stu, you have a couple free minutes huh? how long did that take? good job mang.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfDirect Link to This Post
Bummer... it's for a notchie. But, 4 and 6 do look good.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT Auto (fun car)
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
here is my impementation of your nr.4

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000057.html
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

what program did you use to make that circuit?

I have also done the same thing using NI Multisim and Ultiboard for a robot I built in my Junior Design class.
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Took a couple days. Mostly looking up part dimensions.
I was getting a controller for a LED panel, but I paid the guy back in January I have yet to see anything other than emails. Those stopped in April. Guess I'll still have to do this by my self.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 06-11-2009).]

Rixthetrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RixthetrickClick Here to visit Rixthetrick's HomePageSend a Private Message to RixthetrickDirect Link to This Post
Stu,
sorry to hear you got ripped off...
You'll probably end up doing a better job anyway, maybe you can sell them along
with your Primo dew wipes??

All you have to do now is photoshop the LED's and turn it into a big animated .gif

I'd say you're clever (even for a TX'n) but I wouldn't want that to go to your head,
Anon - lol

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
HA Ha Ha

helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
I started down this road last fall as well. In the end I decided I didn't want to solder that many connections so I went a different route:

Outer rings are red halos for parking lights. Inner pieces are pre-made brake lights. Since this pic I have swiched the outer-most centers to yellow for turn signals.

Backup lights fit into stock sockets, I think they're 30 LEDs each.

I have a build thread (https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072448.html) if you're interested. It also has info on doing the side markers with LED strips.

Build thread part 2: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074101.html

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

[This message has been edited by helmet1978 (edited 06-11-2009).]

Rixthetrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RixthetrickClick Here to visit Rixthetrick's HomePageSend a Private Message to RixthetrickDirect Link to This Post
^ ^ That looks pretty cool ^ ^
Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

here is my impementation of your nr.4

whoa, the irony! looks like we had nearly identical ideas in design and execution. i didn't even come across yours when i searched the forum, but its exciting someone has done this!
but seeing as you beat me to it Fieromaniac, is there any advice you have or anything you would have done differently?
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Enix:

whoa, the irony! looks like we had nearly identical ideas in design and execution. i didn't even come across yours when i searched the forum, but its exciting someone has done this!
but seeing as you beat me to it Fieromaniac, is there any advice you have or anything you would have done differently?

When and if i do it again i will make me my own lenses out of acryl .
Because you cant make all LED perfectly parallel in the original lenses.

Tips if you put the LED into the lenses :

- dont drill the holes ( lenses break easy ) take a dremel with a grindingstone
- dont solder the LED feet together because these solderings get bad from time to time when temperature changes
(needed to resolder mine at least 5 times on different spots ). Better take lil flexible cables
- dont hotglue the LED use normal glue
- take a bigger resistor as the calculator tells you ( longer lifespan for the LED )
- get a LED Turnlight relais , is used a big Resistor but that thing gets really hot and its not in line with the "save energy" idea

and last not least have fun

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG
*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 06-12-2009).]

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Tail light and Brake lights need Pulse Width Modulators to control brightness, Not resistors. Resistors are to be used to only protect from over driving the LED's Amperage ratings.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
@DIY Stu:

i have 2 seperated cirquits so i have no need for controllers.
all stock fierotech remains where it is ( relais cables and so on )

the big resistor i used is not to dim the led its for the original turnlight relaise because the LED only are not enough tho activate the relaise.

as i stated its no good solution , better is a real led turnlight module
Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixDirect Link to This Post
this is great information guys. in fact, its pointing me in a slightly different direction:

first, trying to wire LEDs for two different luminosities is not only a task involving electrical know-how but the method determines the price of the project and the life-span of the LEDs. so for the sake of simplicity and a college student's budget, i decided to use standard bulbs for the standby/brake/turn lights and possibly use LEDs to hide the reverse lights.

second, thanks to seeing different designs, results, and electrical requirements of past LED projects in the archived threads, i realized i don't actually prefer the piercing look of the LED's narrow viewing angle projecting straight out of the lens. this is also why i'll use the wide viewing angle of standard bulbs.

so after some Photoshop-ping (credit to Synthesis' project pics), i'm trying to decide between upper-left, lower-left, and middle right.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock