Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4.9 owners- are any of you experiencing "the knock"?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

4.9 owners- are any of you experiencing "the knock"? by Taijiguy
Started on: 06-05-2009 06:31 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: stickpony on 06-05-2009 05:32 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2009 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
In my research on the 4.9 I've found a service note on an engine knock that originates from the front bearing. This is apparently attributed to the belt pulling up on the front of the crank and then the firing of the two front cylinders pushing the crank down within the bearing. It's apparently completely benign and just an annoyance-not directly attributable to any kind of failures. I was wondering if anyone with a 4.9 here has experienced this, or if the usual re-routing of the belt maybe makes this a non-issue.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard of any. Maybe cause fiero owners use a different tentioner or other type of setup. Just changed a belt recently on my grampa's 92 seville. That stock tentioner really holds the belt tight.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2009 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Never heard it or heard of it. Glad you posted this....I would have had a myocardial infarction the first day, and the engine on the bench the following day. Thanks.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2009 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I'm all about preventing myocardial infarctions. LOL
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

In my research on the 4.9 I've found a service note on an engine knock that originates from the front bearing. This is apparently attributed to the belt pulling up on the front of the crank and then the firing of the two front cylinders pushing the crank down within the bearing. It's apparently completely benign and just an annoyance-not directly attributable to any kind of failures. I was wondering if anyone with a 4.9 here has experienced this, or if the usual re-routing of the belt maybe makes this a non-issue.

the tsb related to that crank knock that you are hearing came out in late '92. subsequently, all '93 and later engines don't have it, because the correct bearing is used in them. you can either replace the bearing with the correct bearing from the tsb, or you can just deal with it. it presents no real danger to you. i have also heard of people using thicker oil to "quiet" the bearing slap, like 15w-40 or 20w-50

anyways.. it isnt really a problem

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock