Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Hello from a new Fiero owner, as well as a couple questions.....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Hello from a new Fiero owner, as well as a couple questions..... by JohnWPB
Started on: 05-16-2009 01:32 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: winger1955 on 05-18-2009 09:38 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, I am new to the forums here, but not forums in general. I am a mod over at MP3Car.com.

Ok, I just joined the club I purchased a Red 85 6 Cyl SE just yesterday. The start of a long and hopefully rewarding project. I have a mechanic replacing the entire exhaust system on Monday. It is the only thing wrong mechanically that I have found so far, as the engine runs like a Swiss watch! (Oil records in the car show it was changed every 3.000 to 4.000 miles). No pics yet, as right now it is all just a run down looking 100% stock vehicle.

So far I have ordered: (Gonna work on the interior first) Mr Mike's seat covers in Red and Black (Scheme I am doing the interior in), window motor rebuild kits (Motors and relays seem to still operate OK) , new carpeting (Black), and replacement door lock switches (they work but all lettering was worn off). Not too much really but it's a start, and gotta start somewhere. Next steps will be Mr Mile's leathers for the doors probably. black tops and Red bottoms.

Later I will be looking to find a nose for the car that I like, as I am not fond of the stock pointed one. That is a bit down the road as of yet, as one of the last things I will do is have the car painted. Too much other stuff to do first, and no sense in having to be careful when working on it as to not scratch a new paint job.

Now the questions:

Can anyone help with some options for the rear glass quarters on the SE? I wish I could have found a GT, but this one was hard to pass up at $700. The plastic originals are almost impossible to find from what I have heard. Not a problem though as I would actually rather put some sort of black grate in place of the plexiglass covers.

Second, what options are there really for the rear light strip for the SE? I see a lot of nice options for the GT, but nothing for the SE body style.

Lastly, what is recommended for trying to change the color of the interior plastics (Side pillars, rear pillars, floor pillars next to the feet, seat lever covers ect ect)? The current plastic is the stock light gray. I have seen vinyl spray paint, but that stuff peels off if you just look at it wrong I would like to have them done right, and just not sure as to what to do with them. The top of the dash is black, and the front is light gray. I am going to do some custom work to the dash, so I don't have to worry about coloring it.

Thanks much, and here is to the start of a project for sure!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
www.fierosails.com for SE windows. The Fiero Store www.fierostore.com for interior spray paint or any auto paint shop has the paint.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Get in touch with Revin on this forum, you can email or PM him. He had an 84 sail panel for an SE a little while ago for a real good price. Your challenge will be finding a matching one! The 84 panels were made of glass not plastic.

Welcome to the Forum.

------------------

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

www.fierosails.com for SE windows. The Fiero Store www.fierostore.com for interior spray paint or any auto paint shop has the paint.

Thanks, I mentioned above that I have seen paint easily come off when just bumped. I was wondering of there were a better more "professional" way to do it.

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Get in touch with Revin on this forum, you can email or PM him. He had an 84 sail panel for an SE a little while ago for a real good price. Your challenge will be finding a matching one! The 84 panels were made of glass not plastic.

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the welcome, and I just dropped him a PM.

While I am at the questions The lever for my front hatch/hood is missing. The cable is still in tact, and with a pair of pliars I can pull the cable and pop the hatch. I have looked in Fiero Store and all the other parts places I have found in the forums here with no luck. Is anyone aware of a standard hood release from another vehicle that will match up with the Fiero, another Pontiac model ect ect?

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
You could always have the interior pieces coverd in vinyl/leahter/suede. Rear lights, I think they are fine the way they are, however a few places makes replacement panels. Nothing like what's available for the later GT's though, I'll have ot dig through my links to find them. You could always swap it over to the later GT body style. Check out www.rodneydickman.com for a lot of stuff you can't get anywhere else. For the hood release, post it in the mall or ask someone that is parting one out, it is a Fiero specific piece, unless you can adapt something to work. I got one a while back for $20, andit was like new. It is now on my 87 GT. Keep asking questions, and welcome to the addiction, you will find you can't have just 1.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
woah slow down.
id try to tackle some of that a little bit at a time.
obviously you want the interior to be snazzy, so i would say yes to the leather seats.
the door kick panels could be either covered or painted. scouring pad then rubbing
alcohol. this will get all the oils away so that the paint has a clean surface to mount to.
this is the problem with most painting nowadays. there is always a oil residue from
fingerprints that will prevent paint from sticking.
just a green dish washing pad and some muscle. (not so much muscle)
old plastic breaks easily. good luck.
post pics when you get finished!
photobucket works great

------------------

drive it like you stole it! yesterday!

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Get in touch with Revin on this forum, you can email or PM him. He had an 84 sail panel for an SE a little while ago for a real good price.

I just got a response, he had already traded them for something...

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009

Originally posted by BlackGT Codde:

woah slow down.
id try to tackle some of that a little bit at a time.
obviously you want the interior to be snazzy, so i would say yes to the leather seats.
the door kick panels could be either covered or painted. scouring pad then rubbing
alcohol. this will get all the oils away so that the paint has a clean surface to mount to.
this is the problem with most painting nowadays. there is always a oil residue from
fingerprints that will prevent paint from sticking.
just a green dish washing pad and some muscle. (not so much muscle)
old plastic breaks easily. good luck.
post pics when you get finished!
photobucket works great

As for cleaning / finger print oil ect, I do have one good time to share: Brake cleaner. Buy it in any auto part store. When you spray it on a surface, it will remove any oil residue completely.

Trust me, I will be taking this slowly I just have ordered a few things to get started. One of the hardest things to do, is decide exactly where to start when there are SOooo many things to do, all of it actually hahah.

So far I have taken all the plastic covers off the dash (Center console trim, around the gauges trim, and around the A/C / radio trim, I am going to clean, clean, clean, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, wet sand, and then re-paint and clear coat. I am doing all of that trim in red to coordinate / match the red & black seat 2 tone, new door leathers and new black carpet.

I would like paint all the pillar covers, door kick panels, behind seat side panels ect in black.

However, I do not want to lose the texture in the plastic moldings. Any recommendations as to that? If I sand them, pretty much necessary, I will lose the texture. Any good methods of painting to help duplicate that texture?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-17-2009).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I've painted interior plastic with the "correct" paint and it has held up for years with no flaking. The correct paint and a clean surface is all that is needed.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I've painted interior plastic with the "correct" paint and it has held up for years with no flaking. The correct paint and a clean surface is all that is needed.

I guess I just need to go to the store and ask for "correct paint" then? Any tips on style of paint, brand name, where to buy, it's original intended use ect? Did you use any type of primer as a first layer?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Proper prep on the plastic panels is the key for adhesion.

Wearing latex gloves, use a Mr. Clean 'Magic Eraser' and water and scrub (not real hard) with water in circles. Keep rinsing the Magic Eraser in clean water. Do this twice on each panel. Wipe each panel down with PrepSol. Let air dry. Wipe the panel down again with PrepSol. Let air dry.

Using paint for vinyl surfaces, lightly mist the first three coats of paint onto the panel, being sure to follow the between coat dry time instructions on the can. Continue with light coats until the color satisfies you.

I've done this on plastic panels using regular paint (not the special vinyl paint) and had excellent results, although the paint took five days to dry!
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
For me, I am using SEM brand interior vinyl paint. It is permanent and can be used on carpeting also. It is supposed to actually be a slight dye also so that not only does it stick, it darkens the existing vinyl. I use the Classic Coat line down on the page. Also, they have the correct adhesion promoters.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/au...depot/aerovinyl.aspx

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-17-2009).]

Rivalry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RivalrySend a Private Message to RivalryDirect Link to This Post
Be carefull using cleaners with rapid evaporation such as some brake cleaner fluids on plastic. It can make them brittle. Isopropyl alcohol (70/30) is cheap, evaporates leaving no residue and can be bought just about anywhere.

[This message has been edited by Rivalry (edited 05-17-2009).]

winger1955

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Direct Link to This Post
go to spacecoastfieros.com for a guy who makes aftermarket fastback AND notchback taillights. the notchback one's where made buy DRIVINVISIONS. he bought them out,after the death of the owner. HE WILL BE MISSED!... as for paint, i have 32years with GM. we used a interior paint on plastic parts as they came out of the molds. sometimes they would have white steaks in the plastic. called splay. we would toucht them up. fierostore.com carries the same paint. if you want a difforant color for your intertior. you can go to a paint supply store that sells car paint. most can mix your color of choise and put it in a spay can for you. cost is about $16.00 a can. hope i was of some help. enjoy the ride!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip on the brake cleaner, I never thought of that.

I just checked out spacecoastfieros.com and found the notchback tail lights. They do not seem to fit too well to be honest, and I really do not like the look at all. Please, no disrespect to anyone, especially someone that is no longer with us. It's just that there are some pretty major gaps on the top left and top right of the "light bar" that would not give the car much of a "professionally finished appearance".

Man I sure wish the options were available for some of the really good looking ones that are avail for the GT's! ! ! !

This one for instance:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-17-2009).]

winger1955

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Direct Link to This Post
try pisafierohq.com they also have taillights. or ed parks of the fierofactory.com has vertical line style lights.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock