Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 SC - Super Charger Life Expectency?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3800 SC - Super Charger Life Expectency? by katatak
Started on: 05-08-2009 08:51 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: katatak on 05-09-2009 07:35 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
How many miles can I expcet the SC on a 3800 Series 2 to last? What is the cost to rebuild one or is it cheaper to find a low mileage used one and swap it out? TIA

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I have inspected 220k+ blowers and they look/spin just as good as 50k ones.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
How about a Series III? Or does it really matter? After all, we're probably still talking about the same materials and tolerances.
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

How about a Series III? Or does it really matter? After all, we're probably still talking about the same materials and tolerances.

I dont really think it would. Like you said, its the same type of materials, and most likely the same amount of moving parts.

I am almost willing to bet that the supercharger should last as long as the engine. As long as you dont beat the hell out of it and take care of it, I dont see why you couldnt get 200K+ out of it.
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post

DCRFiero1

1125 posts
Member since Sep 2007

Originally posted by DCRFiero1:

I dont really think it would. Like you said, its the same type of materials, and most likely the same amount of moving parts.

I am almost willing to bet that the supercharger should last as long as the engine. As long as you dont beat the hell out of it and take care of it, I dont see why you couldnt get 200K+ out of it.

Or another good idea would be to get a Gen V supercharger and LIM off of a Series III and put it on your series II, such as I will be doing for my next 3800SC swap.
D2inDFW

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Tlinkwill provide most if not all of the info you asked about and much more: http://thehighspeedlab.com/catalog.htm
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

How many miles can I expcet the SC on a 3800 Series 2 to last? What is the cost to rebuild one or is it cheaper to find a low mileage used one and swap it out? TIA

Pat

It all depends on how well they are taken care of. Most the time the coupler needs replaced and the fluid changed. They go for cheap enough now that not really worth rebuilding one. Low mileage Gen 3 SC go for about $125 shipped.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies...... Helps me out a lot.

Pat

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock