Gen 2 headlight module interchange by mikejhjr
Started on: 04-29-2009 03:27 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: mikejhjr on 04-30-2009 11:29 AM
mikejhjr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
I had a headlight module go a few weeks ago. I tried a headlight module for a gen 3 Firebird (same GM p/n on the inside of the case) that is either shot or incompatible for some reason. Who has replaced a module with one from another car and can verify what works and what doesn't?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Maloso

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalosoSend a Private Message to MalosoDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the same situation with my drivers side not working, I was told that the modules from the following cars are compatible w/2nd generations:

87-92 firebird and TA
87+ pontiac sunbird
88-96 vette
90-92 toronado trofeo
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
That's a good start. I got a 87-92 Firebird module to try off ebay, hooked it up and no joy. No motors whatsoever, my old module at least still ran the driver's side. I opened it up to check out the board, and just like mine, it's cooked. It just didn't have that lovely fried plastic smell that mine does. I ordered one from the Fiero Factory today, so I should be good to go when it gets here, until then I'll get my workout winding the lights up and down. If anyone is looking for a new module, the Fiero store has them, as well as http://gmpartsdirect.com/
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Motors binding? Maybe module is not bad.

cave, electrical, lighting, gen 2 hl motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-29-2009).]

mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
The motors are fine, to both run up and down correctly when plugged into the driver's side using the old module. I know my original is bad because I pulled it out and it had a strong burnt plastic odor. I opened it up to take a look, and about 1/3 of the board inside is burnt underneath after something failed. It only took out the passenger side though. Since the Firebird module was cheap, I opened it up too in order to take a look, burnt again. I'm haven't been having good luck so I ordered a module from the Fiero Factory so I know it will be a correct Fiero module. I have checked out the cave several times, I'd also like to say thanks for the info, and thanks for listing the module p/n. That made life a lot easier.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The 87-88 Fiero headlight module (p/n 16523917) was used on the 97-04 Corvette, 87-89 Firebird, 86-89 Sunbird, and 86-89 Buick Skyhawk.

A identical looking module (p/n 16525685) was used on the 90-94 Sunbird, 90-02 Firebird, 90-92 Olds Toronado/Trofeo and 90-92 Buick Reatta. That module will not interchange with the Fiero.

Top-DownSolutions.com lists a reconditioned Fiero type module for $60 but the part number listed (16505400) is not correct.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
Thanks spark1, that's the kind of info I've been wanting to know. I know there have been a few different modules out there with different, I just didn't know what worked and what didn't. Thanks for clearing that up.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock