Clutch wont disengage on 4spd with modded 3800sc by CorvetteFan86
Started on: 04-26-2009 05:00 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: CorvetteFan86 on 06-17-2009 08:22 AM
CorvetteFan86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvetteFan86Click Here to visit CorvetteFan86's HomePageSend a Private Message to CorvetteFan86Direct Link to This Post
Hello All,
I am at a complete loss of words on this....My car is an 86 gt. I originally had a spec clutch in the car and everything worked just fine. I decided to paint the car so in the process I went ahead and replaced the clutch because of all of the bad things of heard about them with a clutchnet clutch as a means of assurance . Now the clutch wont disengage. I can shift into all gears while the car is not on but when its running I cannot get it into reverse at all and all other gears are hard to shift into I know the travel you should have from the slave cylinder should be 1.5" but I am only getting 3/4". I have thoroughly bled the clutch both using archies method and gravity bleeding multiple times and I put on a new slave, master, clutch pedal(with bushings) and still the travel is the same. Am I missing something here I have everything finished on my car(except this issue) and now i cannot drive it please help!

[This message has been edited by CorvetteFan86 (edited 04-26-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am going to guess air in the master..

Try jacking the front end up, doing a small gravity bleed, then wiggle the clutch pedal by hand a few times an hour, then let it sit overnight, and wiggle it some more in the morning.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
note, this is only for aftermarket, high performance stuff.
i dont suggest this for normal cars.

I helped with a clutch change once on a V8.
and the piston in the slave would bottom out at the end of the travel in the bore and stop at the snap ring before the pressure plate would open up.
We needed to use a longer pushrod.

IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
If you bought the new style cast clutch slave from Raybestos, Wagner and other brands that have the same slave, they had a production run that leaked air and were all bad. I bought 3 of them at different autopart stores and in different brands and got the same symptom your talking about. I was going nuts when I read an old fiero post on the fiero email loop on yahoo groups. The advise was to go get a genuine GM slave. I went to the dealer and paid through the nose and was up and running in 15 minutes like new.

so, you might want to consider that as an option.
CorvetteFan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvetteFan86Click Here to visit CorvetteFan86's HomePageSend a Private Message to CorvetteFan86Direct Link to This Post
Hello All,

Sorry I haven't updated this thread for awhile. I ended up pulling the engine back out to check and see what was going on since I had to bleed the system and repaired the master with a rebuild kit and did everything I could do to the clutch pedal. Come to find out it looks like the pressure plate "fingers" were rubbing on the spring housing. The pressure plate is their 3x racing model double-finger pressure plate (SKU Number: 15704RR). Hopefully to resolve this I decided to get a non-sprung disc to have no clearance issues and also to retain a very strong pressure plate. Hopefully no one does the same as I did.

-Thomas
------------------
WORK IN PROGRESS:
-1986 GT
-Swapped 2001 GTP motor Series II with 40k miles
-Auto Meter gauge pod (Oil, Boost, Battery)
-Stage III Heads
-Full-Stack ZZP Intercooler
-ZZP XPZ Cam
-True cold air intake, 3" inlet
-Machined LIM
-LS1 Throttlebody
-42# Injectors
-180* Thermostat
-Double-Roller Timing Chain
-Flowmaster 80 series muffler with 2.5inch mendrel bent exhaust tubing

[This message has been edited by CorvetteFan86 (edited 06-01-2009).]

CorvetteFan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvetteFan86Click Here to visit CorvetteFan86's HomePageSend a Private Message to CorvetteFan86Direct Link to This Post
Just to let everyone know. Replacing the sprung clutch disc with an unsprung disc fixed this issue. Thanks again for everyones input.

------------------

By corvettefan86
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My pics and videos: [URL=http://www.corvettefan86.com www.corvettefan86.com[/URL]
-1986 GT
-Swapped 2001 GTP motor Series II with 40k miles
-Auto Meter gauge pod (Oil, Boost, Battery)
-2.8 Pulley
-Stage III Heads
-Full-Stack ZZP Intercooler
-ZZP XPZ Cam
-True cold air intake, 3" inlet
-Machined LIM
-LS1 Throttlebody
-42# Injectors
-180* Thermostat
-Double-Roller Timing Chain
-Flowmaster 80 series

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CorvetteFan86:

Hello All,

Sorry I haven't updated this thread for awhile. I ended up pulling the engine back out to check and see what was going on since I had to bleed the system and repaired the master with a rebuild kit and did everything I could do to the clutch pedal. Come to find out it looks like the pressure plate "fingers" were rubbing on the spring housing. The pressure plate is their 3x racing model double-finger pressure plate (SKU Number: 15704RR). Hopefully to resolve this I decided to get a non-sprung disc to have no clearance issues and also to retain a very strong pressure plate. Hopefully no one does the same as I did.

-Thomas

just goes to show, if it aint broke, dont fix it
CorvetteFan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvetteFan86Click Here to visit CorvetteFan86's HomePageSend a Private Message to CorvetteFan86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

just goes to show, if it aint broke, dont fix it

Trust me, I've learned my lesson

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock