Fiero interior rebuild and facelift. by Eclipse
Started on: 02-27-2009 03:03 AM
Replies: 31
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 05-05-2009 04:01 AM
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I can't seem to post this in the Build section, so I will do it here...
For some time now I have been having electrical problems in my Fiero. Ever since my radio was stolen and the wires were yanked, there seems to be a bad ground somewhere in the dash wrecking havoc on my gauges. On top of that early last year, my headliner fell apart after 22 years. I had also been working on my door hinges and have all of the interior trim out. Needless to say, with all of that going on, the interior was a mess, not to mention that my old dash was pretty cracked and sun work, and my 22 year old speakers are almost done.

The time has come to have some fun

First, what's going in:

Good 2 tone Fiero dash with mint condition map pocket and Kenwood speakers in custom mounting plates...

Fiero headliner covered with black Vinyl...

Mint condition interior trim, painted matte black...

Upgrade to 180KM/h GT guages...

Replacement center console surround with custom mounted tweeters...

Upgrade to lighted mirror...Not sure what car this is out of.

I may install these. Undecided. I also have a tilt steering column that I may add....

Ok. Now to the business side of things. Before I begin the interior, I took a few minutes and installed a new EGR, distributor cap and rotor. Car sounds great. I can't wait to drive it...

The car...

My Toybox...

Now... on to business.
First things first, disconnect the battery. Mine is mounted in the front of the car (please ignore the dirt)

Now remove unscrew the shifter knob and remove it. Then remove the ashtrays, and the center console cover (4 7 MM screws inside the ashtrays). Also remove the radio trim plate (4 torx screws). Once it's off remove the center console surround. I removed my rally gauges at the same time.

Cluster switches removed (4 torx screws on each side)

Top gauge cover removed(5 torx screws on top, 2 7mm screws on bottom)

Lower gauge cover removed. (4 7mm screws)

Now inplug the 3 large wire clusters from gauges (2 on the back, 1 on bottom left). Remove the 4 10mm screws and gently remove the gauge cluster.

Then remove the stupid metal thing (for lack of a better name)

OK. That was fun wasn't it? Now on to the dash....

With a small flat head screwdriver, very gently pry up the speaker covers. Odds are they may be brittle after so long. In front of each speaker is 2 long 7mm screws. Remove all 4 of them.

Now, look under the left corner of the dash and remove the 3 philips screws that hold th Hood release in place.

While you are under there, remove the 10 MM screw that is under each corner of the dash.

That's it, the dash is loose. Carefully tilt it forward so you can reach behind and unclip the speaker harnesses. Now gently lift it over the streering column and pull it out through the passenger side. It helps if the windows are down. Be very careful not to snag any of the wires. They don't take well to being yanked on.

Now set the dash on your workbench and pat yourself on the back.

It was easier than it looked....Just don't get scared of what's left in the car...

This weekend, I will move on to tracing the wires and will continue to post pics as I progress. Good night all!

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 02-27-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Excellent write up. Good luck with the rebuild. I like your tweeter placement. I'll have to think of that when I get around to installing the Alpine system I have laying around.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 02-27-2009).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
haha nice to see another interior swaper. lol i get bored with interiors very quickley it usualy takes my dad telling me to leave it alone to actuley leave it alone only interior im affraid of is my firebird.
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

In this pic, I spy a handle and string for a kite in the bottom shelf. Funny that I should see this because last night, I bought my son his first kite and man, did he have a blast, hehe.

I harbor a great amount of disdain for states and countries that require front and rear license plates. You've got a very good looking Fiero, but that front plate really takes away from the beauty of your car.

What kind of condition is your plastic center console "skeleton" in? In both of my cars, the majority of holes are stripped and cracked and the frame is broken in several places - all the doing of the previous owners. Also, is that skeleton different across the model years?

I'm adding this thread to my favorites so I can keep up with your progress, particularly the headliner, as I will be installing one of the Fiero Store's ABS headliners in a couple days and I don't want to mess it up, hehe.

[This message has been edited by Brocephus (edited 02-27-2009).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all! I have 5 kids, and we love our kites and RC airplanes! We live in the country on a couple of acres so there is pleanty of room and wind.

I wish I could do away with the front plates, but at least I moved it out of the air intake. Putting front center always seemed not well through out. That said, it looks large, but it's just the angle of the shot.

My skeleton is in mint condition. I've taken great care not to overtighten anything and tend to be rather meticulous with things. Looking back it's hard to believe this is the same abandoned 4 cyl coupe that I bought form a scrap dealer the day before it was scheduled to be crushed.

The headliner is an original Fiero non-sunroof liner which I repaired and cut. I would love to buy an ABS unit, I had this one on hand, so I will try it first. With today's economy, it's all about the shortcuts :}

------------------
Jay Brintnell

Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Thanks all! I have 5 kids, and we love our kites and RC airplanes! We live in the country on a couple of acres so there is pleanty of room and wind.

I wish I could do away with the front plates, but at least I moved it out of the air intake. Putting front center always seemed not well through out. That said, it looks large, but it's just the angle of the shot.

My skeleton is in mint condition. I've taken great care not to overtighten anything and tend to be rather meticulous with things. Looking back it's hard to believe this is the same abandoned 4 cyl coupe that I bought form a scrap dealer the day before it was scheduled to be crushed.

The headliner is an original Fiero non-sunroof liner which I repaired and cut. I would love to buy an ABS unit, I had this one on hand, so I will try it first. With today's economy, it's all about the shortcuts :}

I like what you did with the plate. I am going to move mine like you did but maybe over to the passenger side. It being in the center covers up the beautiful design of the car. Could you post of picture of the brackets you used/fabricated? Nice work you are doing.
Larry

------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post
We just got our income tax refund and ordering that headliner was the first thing I did. The Fiero Store had them on sale for 20% off and for $169.00, I couldn't say no. I also got the sunroof molding at the same time and the total came up to $220 with shipping. I was told it could be up to three weeks before I get it though due to them selling like mad. I got the headliner with sunroof, but no 3rd brake light, covered with black material because the guy said they had recieved not complaints, but comments that the color of the grey and light grey were more of a tan than grey. Also, the black will show less dirt and will compliment future plans I have for my interior. I will definitely post up comments about the ease, fitment and results of the headliner install.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i'll ask a question that i've had for awhile - why on earth do guys put in black headliners ? Don't they make the car REALLY dark inside (!?)
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
No. Tinted windows would make the car dark. :} A black headliner would match the black trim, black fuzzy backboard (or whatever it's called behind the seats, and my black and yellow APC seats. :}

Honestly I went black because I had black vinyl here. If I don't like it, I will buy a grey ABS unit.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i have white and off-white vinyl and suede if you decide you need it later ...
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Just the material, or do you have it mounted? Pics?

------------------
Jay Brintnell

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
just the material ...
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Hi all. It's been a long while since I have been at the car. I've been out of of town, and other events have kept me occupied. Time for some updates....

Here are the old Gauges on the right, and the new ones on the left. Time to move my Odometer to the new set.

Clear plate removed...

trim shield removed...

And Odometer is out and ready to plug into the new gauge cluster....

New Speakers are mounted and wired in the new dash...

Seats are out...

Headliner, new visors and lighter mirror are installed....

New dash is in...

New gauges are in and work great!

I need to clean up some ECM wiring while I am at it.

Now I did find a serious problem. Before I got the car, a battery had burst in the rear, and some acid caused some serious rot. I thought I have cut it all out. but guess what. It appears that I have a broken trunk spring, and where it was rubbing on the fire wall, it rusted and eventually punctured. I'll have to cut the spring out, grind the firewall and patch it somehow. NOT GOOD!!!

Also, I was asked how I attached my front plate. It's simply the plate holder bolted right to the from fascia...

More pics later as I progress....

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-24-2009).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I know that your unsure of where you got the rear view mirror, but does anyone else know of a car that has the mirror with lites, and an automatic flipper mechanism?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

cerulean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

I know that your unsure of where you got the rear view mirror, but does anyone else know of a car that has the mirror with lites, and an automatic flipper mechanism?

Pontiac Vibe (non-sunroof model).
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cerulean:

Pontiac Vibe (non-sunroof model).

HI all

Thanx man!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I found a rear view mirror with auto dimming on a high optioned Bonneville

------------------
Jim
86 SE 355 Body Kit w/3.1 Auto (Sold)
87 T-Top Coupe 2.8/5 Speed new project

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i was gona say where did you get a 140 speedo but i forgot the whole canadian thing. very nice though.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

sorry, but that is scarey. confusing scarey.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, up here in Canada. I will as MidEngineManiac where he scavenged the mirror. I grabbed it out of his parts stash.

Under the dash really does look scary, but with a good parts guide and wiring diagrams, it's a lot easier to work, than laying upside down and getting under the dash...

Need guides? Here's a site I have been working on in my spare time... Long over due for updates. Check the resources page...

http://unclejay.kicks-ass.n...roroom/resources.htm

------------------
Jay Brintnell

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
The saga continues....
The last I left off, I had just found a hole in my rear firewall. It turns out it was not caused by the broken spring (which has since been removed). The previous owner had a battery burst, which sprayed everything with acid. The body was fixed when I had the paint job, and I cut out the battery tray which had disintegrated, but I hadn't seen the damage that lay behind the fire retardant layer on the firewall. Before anyone asks, that terminal block is an isolated terminal that I created to connect the front mounted battery cable to the stock positive battery cable. It provides a quick disconnect pint in the rear of the car.

After cleaning inside and out with a wire brush , and a stone tip in my die grinder, I gave it a coat of rust converter...

Then a healthy coat of my favourite sealant...

Next, I used a piece of galvanized plate. I love this stuff as it doesn't rust. I use is for all of my floor plugs and splash shields.

A couple of pop rivets, and I am off to the races again...

B Pillar holes are cut and speakers are installed

New Black "Fuzzy backplate" and glove box installed

Now to skip forward...I won't cover the re-installation steps of all of the trim. It's simply the reverse of removal.

Seats are in...

All interior assembled

I love my A Pillar clock...

New door skins installed...

Some all around shots...

Lastly, All thanks goes to my trusty pit crew...

And the most thanks goes to my dear and wonderful wife for putting up with my quirky Fiero obsession. 'Luv ya hun!

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 04-11-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
well done, and thanks for the ideas too.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Jay Brintnell

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2009 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Why is it some of those parts look familiar ??? <grin>

The mirror is out of a Pontiac 6000, and when it was in mine I just took power from the dome light. It's actually a really nice upgrade to have, although on my next Fiero I think I'll probably go with a Mopar compass-type.
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
Gah! I wish I would've searched this earlier! I just stripped my interior (minus carpet) this afternoon. This guide really would've came in handy. Stupid me.

You wouldn't happen to have a guide on removing mice and their... droppings... would you?
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
lol.. my center console and shifter area were full. 3 Years ago when I first pulled the center console, I found a mummified mouse sitting on top of my ECM.:}

In the front of your car, pull the vent fan, and the small cover over the heater element. Look in there for nests, as well as the heater core area. Besides that, if you pull the dash, remove the vent tube from the underside of the dash, and check in there.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

I was just going through some parts that I had collected in my garage, and apparently I too have that exact same mirror, however... as it would turn out, the one I have also has a built in compass. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'm definitely installing it in my Fiero when I re-do my interior.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get the black "fuzzy back piece"? I've been looking for a new one of these. Same with the black carpet on the doors...
vballman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Nice write up. Oh I like the pit crew!
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! You would never know I bought the car as an abandoned wreck from a scrap dealer the day before it was to be crushed huh?

I got the fuzzy thing (no comments) and the door skins from MidEngineManiac since he was getting out of Fieros for a while. He basically dyes them black. I think he simply used the spray dye. It turned out very very good!

I am on my way out to the driveway now to hook up the laptop and run some ALDL diagnostics on the motor.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 04-16-2009).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
My ALDL port seems to be acting strange, as I am getting no data. Tries 2 different laptops. I'll try another cable when I get one.

My daughter and I took the car out tonight for a good run, and she feels good! Nice low growl on the ported 2.8.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2009 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
My process for the carpets/door panels/firewall cover is to mix up a double-strength batch of the powdered fabric dye you can get from wall-mart and apply with a spritzer bottle or an engine cleaning gun.

Once that has dried for a couple days I shoot a couple top-coats of rattle can carpet and vynal dye.

Between the water base stuff soaking in all the fibers and the can stuff giving the surface a nice deep color, it's about as close to factory dye job as you can get on a tight budget.

<edit> I've done it with a couple different cars, and the dark colors always turn out better than lighter/bolder ones, with black giving the best results.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-05-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock