Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero Red, Bright Red, code and years questions (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero Red, Bright Red, code and years questions by perry rhodan
Started on: 11-23-2008 12:04 PM
Replies: 74
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-20-2010 12:14 PM
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
still searching to win

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 04-05-2009).]

IP: Logged
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Thats not what we are searching for Bob...
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
You can add one more to the list. I have a red 86 GT with the 8553U code.
martin_gsxr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
Hi, just bouth last week touch-up paint for my 86-Gt 8774... to find out after reading this that the sticker in my car say: 8553 ...

Is there a big difference ? anybody compare the two colors ??

Martin
ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
Supposedly they are the same color, with a different PPG paint code.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
First in front , Ferrari red
second Wa 8553
Third (Mine) WA 8774

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 04-05-2009).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

Robert 2

2401 posts
Member since Jan 2006
You can see it clearly here front WA 8553 back WA 8774

martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

First in front , Ferrari red
second Wa 8553
Third (Mine) WA 8774

The first one is Dodge Viper Red...

Martin
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ManMadeChickens:

Supposedly they are the same color, with a different PPG paint code.

They are not the same. Yes , both are red. But different red. Hence the different color code.

Originally posted by martin_gsxr:

Hi, just bouth last week touch-up paint for my 86-Gt 8774... to find out after reading this that the sticker in my car say: 8553 ...

Is there a big difference ? anybody compare the two colors ??

Martin

Like Robert2 show us, the big difference between 8553 and 8774 is the 8774 red is more brigther than the 8553 .

The 8774 was only put on the Fiero in 1988.

But some people had reported in the past that some 1986 Fiero production run had this same 8774 red than the 1988.

But this last affirmation still have to be proved. Thats the reason of my thread.

The only thing I know is that the RPO code is still the same for both red, RPO 81 for the 86 (8553) and the 88 (8774) car. But curiously its not the same RPO for the 1984-85 (8553) car, RPO 71, but the red is the same as the 1986 (8553). Its some kind of mismatch ...sort of.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 04-05-2009).]

martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
Mine show a 8553 sticker but it is clearly not like Mister 1986se... more bright red like 1988 Robert Gt...

Will try later my 8774 touch-up to see ...

Martin

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ac...age=1986-gm-pg05.jpg

1986 fiero color code.... 8774
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Another mismatch.

[This sentence is FALSE...read another of my reply below] Here at home I have all pamphlet with paint chip directly from GM. And the 1986 paint code is 8553.

And on the RPO sticker of my car and your its 8553.

So your car is surely a repainted one. And since your looks like to have the same red as Robert2's one, the paint shop had surely used the PPG code like you show us and not the color code written on your own car RPO sticker.

We are still searching for a 1986 with a 8774 color code written on the RPO sticker . And I doubt that a 8553 color paint code gave two different color on the assembly line...but its still a possibility since GM have made some mess with the RPO code itself (71 and 81)

But this bring to us another question: Why PPG are now using the 8774 color code for the 1986....error? lazy error? or something else?

Edit: By the way...thatnks for the link...I found some other interesting bit of info. Hope these are not wrong info.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 04-07-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
Yes my car have been repaint before I bouth it... all bright-red... (no silver)... I hope you're right...

Martin
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Martin GSXR.
The first one is Dodge Viper Red...

Now that i remember you're right , JP told me once in Sherbrooke .
BTW hi to you do you still live at the same apt ?

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 01-19-2010).]

martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
Hi Robert, yes still the same secret place that look like a bat-cave...

Martin
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
OK thanks
You should come and see me sometimes
So you could tell your " friends" how nice my V8 setup is .LOL

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 04-06-2009).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
so, while on the subject - what would be the "Dupli-Color" color for my '85 Red SE Fiero?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the 85 red, but the Duplicolor that matches my 86 (81U) red Fiero is GM398. I think it would be brighter than the 85 red.

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I don't know about the 85 red, but the Duplicolor that matches my 86 (81U) red Fiero is GM398. I think it would be brighter than the 85 red.

Maybe the Duplicolor color code chart have gone the same route as the PPG one and gave the same "recipe" number as the 88 Bright Red. What is false.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 04-06-2009).]

martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
On Gm 1986 Pontiac service manual, only the 8774 bright red and 8748 flame red met. are listed..
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Did you see this in the Helm (the real official GM service manual)? and if yes, could you give which section and the page number. I want to see that. Since this manual is mainly a "mechanical" manual, not much more of aesthetic info and option are there for each separate model .

But the info is incorrectly represented in the P-22 (official GM part manual of the Fiero) and some of the info is generic (for all GM model) and are not really applicable to the Fiero case exactly and/or only. They dont even do any mention of a simple "red" , "fiero red" or "bright red" code in 1985 !!!!

We encountered errors everywhere...so ....not much to rely on, even in the official documentation . lolllll

The only thing we can rely on is the RPO tag and the 4 digit color code.

PS: I have to make a little correction... I declared previously that the color code was correct in my 1986 paint color chip pamphlet...that was false. I make this declaration by memory...which often fail to gave me the correct stored info . In fact the pamphlet gave the wrong color "name" in the 1986...they call it "bright red", but no fisher paint code. And just to prove that these official GM pamphlet are wrong, in 1987 they claimed in the 1987 paint color chip pamphlet that only the Fiero and the Firebird have the "bright red" RPO option 81....its untrue since only the med red metallic (RPO 77) was available as a "red" color this year on the Fiero. Only the 1984 and 1985 pamphlet seem to list correctly the color for the Fiero and they even made a special separate section in the chip chart specifically for the Fiero colors. The other years they dont.

PS2: The best "correct" source of Fiero info is in the NIFE Guide to the Fiero. What is compiled in this little book seem to be all "ok" for now. And since its compiled with info taken right "in situ" they seem to be right on the target about all the options and colors available for each model year. But for the 1986 red color they are wrong for now.Also they didnt list or mention the "exeption" like the 50 monochrome white that was sold in 1986 or other "off production" one off. Thats the reason of my search.

I really dont know why nearly everywhre they list the 8774 color code (bright red) for the 1986 Fiero and absolutely nobody report us a RPO sticker on a real 1986 with this 8774 color code....we only have 8553 color code 1986 Fiero.

Very mysterious.

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

perry rhodan

802 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Just think about this one little minute...

Youre in a near future and youre a car collector. You find a 1986 Fiero in the wild. You know that this one car was red from the factory but no more RPO sticker and no other color hint anywhere on the car.

With the info we have now in the other official documentation and other non-official, the guy woud have painted the car with the color code 8774...which is wrong...And the guy win several old car restoration contest, claiming a "better than factory"...with the wrong color. And everybody think thats the real thing. And sell this car at the auction
PFF
System Bot
martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
page 141 of 1303 ...

Body panel repair section 2c-7

What is HELM ?

I think this is the original Gm book, but in pdf format...

Martin

[This message has been edited by martin_gsxr (edited 04-07-2009).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
The real manual dont have standard numeroted pages...the pages goes like this 1D3-13 , 5-5, 5B4-1 and so on and located at the upper portion of the page.

Could you gave me this number? Thanks.
martin_gsxr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for martin_gsxrSend a Private Message to martin_gsxrDirect Link to This Post
2c-7

you are too fast for my writing ,,

Martin
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
lollll

Helm , I think, is the name of the editor of the book. But if you refer of te one in electronic format, its the real one also.

I will look at that.

Edit: I see now...it's another "generic" color table, that cover several available color for GM lineup also included in the 87 shop manual....alas this still not reflect the reality of the Fiero. Oh well

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

perry rhodan

802 posts
Member since Apr 2006
The day we will find in the street a real factory 8774 "Bright Red" 1986 Fiero, I will retract myself about telling that all books and other sources of info are wrong. But they will need to correct production numbers listed....since now we will have two different '86 red version produced....but this still have to happen.

Now time to go to bed...

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
When I go home in 2 weeks I'll check my car. Its an 86 with bright red paint. Might be a repaint though so we'll see.

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a pic of two panels or color samples next to each other?

The DSGM 398 Duplicolor sells: I just picked up one of their touch-up tubes, and it has the color codes 81, WA 8774 right on it, which is the 88 red.

Was this WA-8774 used on a lot of cars? Seems odd it's still readily available at stores.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Supposely other GM used this red.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
No joy here in Canada either...here's the info on my 86GT:

Vin 5th: G
Manufacture date label unreadable but last six VIN are: 270308
Year: 1986 GT
RPO: 81
Fischer: WA-8553
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Corvette ,Camaro

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 04-12-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
6752dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 6752danSend a Private Message to 6752danDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know off hand what the indy codes are for the white, and grey, and how does duplicolor crossreference these, by the codes themselves? Unfortunately I would look myself, but I still can't get my front decklid up. Also, can I use some sort of epoxy to repair some small chips, and will can I use single stage paint of base, and clear, to go over the front bumper colors. Thanks Dan
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 6752dan:

Does anyone know off hand what the indy codes are for the white, and grey, and how does duplicolor crossreference these, by the codes themselves? Unfortunately I would look myself, but I still can't get my front decklid up. Also, can I use some sort of epoxy to repair some small chips, and will can I use single stage paint of base, and clear, to go over the front bumper colors. Thanks Dan

Exterior:
40C - White - WA-8554
Lower Accent:
18 - Medium Gray Poly - WA-8603

As for the Duplicolor numbers, I'm not sure, the color matching part of their website has been down for months.
timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:
..... I get a hold of stuff that I am not supposed to have on a regular basis, so maybe something will pop up in the future.

Fred

And it's how much of this stuff survives. Thanks for getting a hold of stuff you're not supposed to have
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
A 'U' or an 'L' following the 2 digit number refers to it being the upper (main) body color and the lower (bottom) trim or 2 tone. This has been a GM thing for 60 years or more. Its sometimes seen after the WA number too, but just means same thing. If you have a WA number, use it preferably over the 2 digit number as its SPECIFIC for that exact car.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock