Automatic Shifter Cable Adjustment by porkchop85
Started on: 01-27-2008 12:33 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: sjmaye on 08-15-2009 07:02 AM
porkchop85

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for porkchop85Send a Private Message to porkchop85Direct Link to This Post
Is there a secret on how to adjust the automatic shifter back into proper alignment? I seem to be out by a gear and the shifter won't go all the way down to 1.

------------------
1985 Black Gt Auto
1985 Silver GT 4t65hd (SC3800)
1986 Gold 2m6 Auto
Hopefully I have room for one more!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Are Park and Neutral in the correct position? When I first got my Formula the shift indicator was installed wrong, it blocked my shifter from going down into first. The previous owner had forgotten to slide the shift indicator over the lever when installing the center console.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

porkchop85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for porkchop85Send a Private Message to porkchop85Direct Link to This Post
The indicator is correct on the shifter. It feels like the cable is too long. Like when I shift into reverse the indicator is in that black space between park and reverse. I cannot indicate 1st gear when I pull it all the way down just 2nd.

------------------
1985 Black Gt Auto
1986 Gold 2m6 Auto

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried counting the shifts to see if its actually going into gear?

I can't find my manuals, and I can't remember if there is an adjustment procedure on the auto, still looking.
porkchop85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for porkchop85Send a Private Message to porkchop85Direct Link to This Post
When I click through the gears from park to 1 reverse seems to come up too fast. Like the first click of the gear box the indicator reads in the black part between park and reverse. After that it seems like its off a gear so N reads R and D reads N. When I try to pull it all the way down it stops at 2 but the transmission is really in 1.

I really appreciate the help
------------------
1985 Black Gt Auto
1986 Gold 2m6 Auto

[This message has been edited by porkchop85 (edited 01-27-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Found it, this is from the 86 service manual:

Not written to well, but I believe you have to disconnect the cable from the transmission, the put your shifter into "N"

Then on the transmission rotate the shift arm to what would be "N"

Then reinstall the cable to the transmission, careful not to turn the shift arm as you do so.

Haven't done this myself though.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-27-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Any luck?
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
i have the same problem ive done this the same way i manually shifted the tranny and after adjustment still isnt working i dont think its slipping because as soon as you raise the car up the wheels move. sorry if that makes no sense but i got the same problem
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2009 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Old post I found while trying to fix my issue.

My automatic shift is visually slightly off from the transmission gears. i.e. to have the transmission in DRIVE, the shift indicator at the base of the shifter is slightly off. Almost halfway to the neutral position. I have looked at the factory service manual, but it is still kind of confusing to me.

Is this an easy adjustment?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock