Custom Aux Gauge Cluster by nhesto
Started on: 11-16-2007 09:54 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 06-29-2009 08:35 AM
nhesto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nhestoClick Here to visit nhesto's HomePageSend a Private Message to nhestoDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for anyone who might be selling a 3 pod aux gauge cluster, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
you can turn one into a 3 pod with a little aluminum. I did.
nhesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nhestoClick Here to visit nhesto's HomePageSend a Private Message to nhestoDirect Link to This Post
Hey IFLYR22 are your gauges installed into a 3800sc car by chance and if so is it obd 1 or 2. And if it is obd 2 then did you have any problem with your computer giving you a code when you changed your sensors?
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
Where are the gauges from? I may have to do that. At least until I have the time, money, and the spare car to do my 07 grand prix dash swap.

Ryan
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Yes I like these a lot do you have a build on these?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
I don't have a build on these, sorry.
The gauges are Autometer Z series. I like the look of them, but any style 2 1/16 gauge will work. I used 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate and used the original fiero plastic cover plate as an outside dimension template.
The three holes for gauges were cut using a 2 1/16 hole saw bought from a hardware store.
The fiero rally gauge pod works fine, but the original gauge mounting screw holes inside will have to be removed to fit 3 gauges.
The plastic cover plate mount holes work to mount the new gauge face plate.

needed to add:
That picture is when I was test fitting them. The finished product has 4 indicator lights (LED's). The brake, the coolant temp, the oil pressure, and the voltage.
the aluminum plates are anodyzed black.
the gauges are in an OBDII 3800 N/A 4T65E-HD powered fiero.
All the fiero gauges were replaced with after markets.
Also, there is a 2 pod A-Pillar gauge set.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 11-23-2007).]

cropduster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cropdusterSend a Private Message to cropdusterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

All the fiero gauges were replaced with after markets.

"All the gauges"?? Have you got pictures of the rest???

------------------
Mick
1986 GT

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I like those
Mine looks close to what you have, I did a temp, volt and oil pressure.
Please post the others.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I agree after market gauges look much nicer in the aux gauge pod, I have a boost, air/fuel and an OBD II scan gauge in mine. Dan
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i want to change my centre cluster too .what does the OBD2 scan guage look like?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
I have a picture of the main gauge pod with the black anodyzed aluminum and LED turn signal, check wallet light, and the high beams. The speedo and tach are stewart werner, the rest are autometer.

Edited to show night lighting...
Bad picture, but you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 08-29-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Dash looks nice like that and how do you like driving with the wheel cut like that, have thought about doing the same with an old steering wheel but I am so used to driving whith my one hand high up on the wheel. The scan gauge is the one on the left it has two digital readouts that you can change around to montior what you want. Dan

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

... how do you like driving with the wheel cut like that...

I found it is easier to turn with the wheel cut. Just grab an end, and flip it around.
Also, I don't have the steering wheel in the way to read the gauges. And, I park it with the cut at the bottom. With tilt column, It makes it easier to get in and out of the car with the seats I have.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 11-23-2007).]

black88fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
where did you put you temp gauge sending unit on the 3800 are you s/c or na?

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97+
Morad Parts Company
Moradpartscompany

[This message has been edited by black88fiero (edited 11-22-2007).]

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
ok, I was asked about a build, I don't have a build, but here is what I did. I actually took pictures so...

Original dash ...
the odometer reads my 3800 engine miles when I installed the engine.
(WARNING...you/others can change (roll back) an odometer and have it work and look original... I annotated the original frame miles and 3800 miles on the frame VIN plate)

After removing and stripping the gauges from the circuit runner (white plastic piece), I removed the back of the runner from the top, back, and sides. I used a hot knife.

I took the face plate and used it as a template for the aluminum face plate
I drilled 4 holes for gauges, the indicator lights were not drilled until after I found what I wanted (placement and type) The speedo and Tach were 3 3/8 in holes, the rest were the 2 1/16 in gauges. I polished the new face plate for when it would be anodyzed. I used a dremel tool and aluminum polish.

I installed the white plastic back into the pod, then drilled the new face plate for the corner screws. Then install the face plate to the gauge pod.

start inserting and pre-wire the gauges. the wires then are used to connect to the cars gauge harness. I made an excel spreadsheet of what the wires did in the car. BTW: If anyone wants the excel spreadsheet, let me know, it is a little too big to post here. I added pigtails to the cars harness so I didn't cut the connectors off. I did this so I could go back to the factory gauge package if (for some reason) I wanted to.

after deciding the indicator lights (ID10T LED lights) I wanted in the main pod, I drilled for them and also installed them while wiring the gauges. Also, the speedo needed a trip button, That had to be placed and drilled as well. The trip button can be placed anywhere, but I wanted it in the dash anyway.
Once I did all this, I decided to do the rest of the gauges and face plates.
Gauges I used/installed in the car:
oil pressure, oil temp, trans temp, voltage, coolant temp, fuel, clock, speedo, and tach.
indicator lights I installed:
in main:
high beams, check engine, turn signals
in Aux pod:
voltage, brake, over temp, oil pressure

The LED's I bought from a local electronics store.
The holder/bezel matched the gauges.

I added the stock wiring pinout for the main pod:

I will try to make one for the AUX pod as well.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 11-24-2007).]

linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post

Where can i get vents like these? How much work was that?
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post

I have a picture of the main gauge pod with the black anodyzed aluminum and LED turn signal, check wallet light, and the high beams. The speedo and tach are stewart werner, the rest are autometer.

love your white face gauges!!

where did you get them and how much?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

Where can i get vents like these? How much work was that?

The vents were from Aircraft spruce. They are 1 7/8 inch aluminum airline "eye ball" vents. I used aluminum plate to make a new radio/vent/control surround, so it wasn't much effort to add them in.
They are pricy. I work in the aviation world, so I was able to get someones old ones.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

Originally posted by BabyVet:
love your white face gauges!!

where did you get them and how much?

Summit racing. They are the Stewart Warner Maximum Performance line.

never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps in the archieves somewhere there is a picture of Tina's car.
I beleive she was an award winner at the 25th show in July........
Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by never2old:

Perhaps in the archieves somewhere there is a picture of Tina's car.

Right on with the "Archive bit"
It was back ... I am thinking 2001 ? ... when I did the Gauge Swap with the Check Wallet light as well as the steering wheel swap.

Found a pic of it though, from back then.

Since then I made a few modification to the orginal. Speedo got upgraded.
The aux gauges had to move a little further out to accomadate the fittings on the backof the nitrous gauge at a later date.
A few tweeks.

Tina

88lambofiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lambofieroSend a Private Message to 88lambofieroDirect Link to This Post
My center gauges

PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
this is what i am going for. i have a AEM wideband i will put in when i get the O2. but for now i have a autometer AFR. im going to get some DEFI gauges to replace my volts and oil pressure. and also will be getting a remote fuel pressure gauge. i have another thread started on this subject

rally (GT) gauges repair for restoration?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 06-29-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock