Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero Heavy Duty axle tripod upgrade. Manual Tranny.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fiero Heavy Duty axle tripod upgrade. Manual Tranny. by Synthesis
Started on: 11-06-2007 10:04 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Synthesis on 05-03-2009 10:38 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
DISCLAIMER! After running on the Corsica Axle for 18 months, I finally popped the axle. The axle IS shorter than the Fiero axle. It is a direct bolt in, but if you overextend the suspension, and have bad motor mounts, you will lose the axle, and do other damage. The tripot is swappable with the Fiero axle though.

Purple Reign and I were experimenting with axles this weekend, and discovered that the passenger side automatic axle from a 1996 Chevy Corsica is identical to the Driver's side manual axle from a Fiero. The only difference is the ABS ring which is pressed on to the outer axle spindle.

The inner CV Tripod on the Corsica consists of a much stronger bearing and tripod housing. It slips right in and is a direct replacement for the stock axle for those running higher horsepower engines.

The axle shaft is the same size as the Fiero shaft. This means that the inner tripod from the passenger axle on the Corsica can also be installed on the inner passenger axle end of the manual transmission.

Just an upgrade idea to add some strength to the drive axles.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 05-23-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I am getting low on stock Fiero axles.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 HP @ wheels
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea !
I would not have thought that coming from a corsica!

Stronger tripod huh... great! I hate it when the axle breaks and my balls fall all over the ground

Are you going to sell a few?

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 11-06-2007).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Cool idea !
Are you going to sell a few?

As much as I would like to make a profit from this, the Corsica axle can be bought complete from a parts store, and slapped in with no changes to the vehicle or axle other than to knock the ABS ring off of the spindle.

The only thing you would need to change if you wanted the longer manual axle to have the larger tripod and bearing assembly would be the inner CV Joint bearing and tripod.

Just remove the old Fiero end from the axle, slap the Corsica bearing assembly and tripod on, and clamp the boot in place. Stronger CV Joint, stronger axle.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
sweet! ..thanks for the info
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I will look at junkyards, are we talking about automatic v6 Corsica's?

My info shows that axle used in MANY 96-99 cars of this type, I can get them literally by groups of 10 for around $25 a piece.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 11-06-2007).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I will look at junkyards, are we talking about automatic v6 Corsica's?

My info shows that axle used in MANY 96-99 cars of this type, I can get them literally by groups of 10 for around $25 a piece.

Yes, 3100 V6 Automatic Corsicas. The Passenger side axle has the male end on the transmission end of the axle. It has a heavier duty tripod than the Fiero manual axle on the Driver's side. When you compare the two, you will see the difference, easily noticeable.

The same inner tripot on the Corsica SHOULD also work on the Passenger Fiero axle. The bearing assembly will have to be moved over.

I am running a 1996 Corsica Automatic passenger axle in my 2.8/Isuzu 5 speed Fiero Driver's side right now. Just knock the ABS ring off.

The outer CV Joint is nearly identical, and the bearing splines line up perfectly with the Fiero hub. Technically, with some machine work on the hub assembly, you could install an ABS Sensor and run ABS with an ECM that supports it.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 11-06-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Well people, put in orders if you want used axles, and I can get a few.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
ok i need to do this upgrade so let me see if i got it rite
to do this i need
2 P/S auto axles from 96 corsica
just knock off the abs sensor rings and switch 1 pair of ends on to the P/S fiero axil so i would have
on the fiero D/S i would have the P/S corsica axle w/o abs
and on the P/S of the fiero i would have the stock axle with the P/S corsica ends?
is this rite???
i think i got it but im not sure how to do the other side pictures please
also does this work on the getrag 5spd

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 01-04-2008).]

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
all fiero manual transmissions used identical axles.

excellent information, as my 65eHD uses a left side manual tranny axle on the right side, with the inner tripot from a GTP. I may be needing shafts, haha. Found some more applications that use the same axle.

Beretta 94-96 Fr Axl, 6-191 (3.1L),
Corsica 94-96 Fr Axl, 6-191 (3.1L),
Achieva 94 Fr Axl, 4-138 (2.3L), w/o Hi Otpt eng; AT, 4 Spd, Fr Axl, 6-191 (3.1L),
Achieva 95 Fr Axl, AT, 4 Spd,
Achieva 96-97 Fr Axl, AT,
Achieva 98 Fr Axl,
Grand Am 94 Fr Axl, w/o Hi Otpt Quad 4; AT, 4 Spd,
Grand Am 95 Fr Axl, AT, 4 Spd,
Grand Am 96-98 Fr Axl, AT,
Skylark 94-95 Fr Axl, 4 Spd tra,
Skylark 96-98 Fr Axl,

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 01-04-2008).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
so how do you assemble the P/S fiero axle im still slightly confused
can i uss the P/S corsica axle ends? or........

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 01-04-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.6lvvt6spdgt:

so how do you assemble the P/S fiero axle im still slightly confused
can i uss the P/S corsica axle ends? or........

That part may take some engineering on your part. As far as I know, the tripots and bearings can be swapped between axles. This information MAY be incorrect as we did not have an axle on hand from the P/S of a Manual Fiero. The shaft sizes look the same, so the bearing SHOULD swap over.

And yes, the inner CV joint from the P/S of the Corsica should work on both sides of the Getrag transmission.

Someone with access to both the P/S auto axle of a Corsica and a passenger axle from a manual Fiero should experiment to confirm that the tripot and bearing can swap.

Edit for clarification.

The inner tripot on the Passenger side axle, and the bearing for it SHOULD be able to swap over to the inner axle end of the Fiero passenger axle. SHOULD is the key term. We did not try it, but seeing as how the axles are the same size diameter, the splines may also be the same.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 01-04-2008).]

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
well has any one tryed it??????????????????
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Nope.

Pick up an axle for the Corsica from a salvage yard and do some experimentation.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
You already tested the driver's side replacement though?
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a picture of the two axles next to each other by any chance?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Just got a PM from a member about the 96 Corsica Passenger axle being too short on his 4 speed Driver's side on his Fiero.

Bumping this to refresh the topic, and further discussion on this subject.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Just got a PM from a member about the 96 Corsica Passenger axle being too short on his 4 speed Driver's side on his Fiero.

Bumping this to refresh the topic, and further discussion on this subject.

The Cosica auto axle IS shorter by about 1 1/4".
I thought this topic was about the tripod joint being stronger in the Corsica Axle and the ability to swap it over to a Fiero axle shaft.

Fiero Manual Axle:

96 Corsica 3.1L auto axle:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-03-2009).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. I have the full axle in my car with no issues, and it measures out right.

The tripod WILL swap over.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Interesting. I have the full axle in my car with no issues, and it measures out right.

The tripod WILL swap over.

Let me qualify this: Yes, I have the full axle in my car. After some more research tonight, NO! The Corsica Axle, as a WHOLE may not fit, the length may be too short.
I am unsure as to why mine would be different, but the axle DOES fit. Moving the Tripot over to the Fiero axle is a good solution though, as it will provide a stronger CV joint for the axle as a whole.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock