Started on: 10-28-2007 10:59 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Dakota Fiero on 06-11-2009 10:25 PM
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I've purchased a couple of shifter knobs for my '85GT, a Grand Prix (snake head) version a year or so ago, and a Camaro version just recently. I was looking for a leather, OEM like knob, that was significantly smaller than the stock Fiero knob. I like the snake head but it didn't turn out to be much if any smaller just a different shape. I really like this new Camaro knob.

I probably wouldn't have spent money for the snake head had I realized how large it was but "too soon old, too late smart". With that in mind I thought I'd post some pictures comparing the size of the three for the benefit of others that might be interested.

Left to Right: Camaro knob, Grand Prix (Snake Head) knob, Fiero knob

I should add that even though the locking clip holes are located at different places in the knob, that simply sets the height of the knob on the shifter lever. No modifications are necessary to install either of these replacement knobs.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 w/ Freeman Loader

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 10-29-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2007 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Camaro ,far away but no one can choose for you,in a small cab like fiero the larger object will sometime get in the way
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Hey um... you don't like the fiero shifter? I'll take it off your hands...

------------------
1984 Fiero SE, White, first love, sold...
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox
1987 Fiero GT, Blue, 3.4/4T40
Still looking for that perfect CJB 88 GT...

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodeletre:

Hey um... you don't like the fiero shifter? I'll take it off your hands...

Thanks for the offer but I'm keeping all the original stuff for a possible future return to stock. It's not that I don't like it, it's more that it's just so out of proportion, size wise, to the car. It looks just like the shifter knob in my wife's '99 TrailBlazer.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Here's a leather wrapped Corvette auto shifter (pictured without button). It looks like a nice size and shape. Has anyone used one of these in their Fiero?

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Those 3 shifter handles represent an evolution over time. The oldest is the T-handle shifter, used in the early/mid 80s. In the late 80s, it was replaced with the top-button style. In the mid 90s, that one was replaced with the snake-head. If you look at cars in a salvage yard, you'll see that most small/mid size GM cars from each time period will have the corresponding type of shifter handle. This includes the F-bodies. I'm not sure about the Corvettes, though. I don't see many of them in salvage yards.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-29-2007).]

Tiny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post
personaly i like the camaro knob
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree, my Dad's 97 WS6 TA vert has a shifter almost exactly like my fiero's. I've seen 02 with the same one. However, my buddy's 97 3.8 camaro has the top button style. Here's an '02:

same fiero shifter. Maybe a Pontiac thing?

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox

[This message has been edited by fierodeletre (edited 10-29-2007).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That's interesting. I guess my junkyard observations were a bit off.

But I have seen the top-button type in lots of late 80s / early 90s GM cars, including the Beretta, Corsica, Grand Am, and Camaro. The top-button shifter in my Fiero (not leather) came from a Corsica. I've also seen the snake-head type in 4th-gen Camaros, and a couple other midsize cars (Grand Prix and Lumina, I think?).

I've seen a different type of T-handle handle in some of the mid/large size GM cars (Cutlass, Bonneville, etc). It's more squarish than the Fiero shifter.
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
It's funny how they took the second-gen fiero prototype's cues for the 4th gen firebird, and they also took its shifter of all things...up to the bitter end. What I wouldn't give for a 5th gen bird.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I've got the same Camaro knob. I've also got a gray vinyl version of the same knob.
I believe there was also another style 80s Camaro knob. It was perfectly round. Almost looked like an 8 ball. Had a round button in the top. Not very common, though.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I didn't like the stock T-bar shifter either. Most others sometimes look oversized for the Fiero's console.

I went with an 84 Corvette dark-grey leather wrapped shifter and shortened the steel shaft by 1-inch. The knob matches the dark-grey of the interior. I got a new soft-leather shift boot from Dickman.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner
My SD4 Indy www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096075.html

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

When I bought my '86 GT in the spring (my first automatic Fiero which I don't particularly care for), I was surprised at the sheer size of the shifter knob. Good gawd, who designed this large ugly thing?

One of the first things I did was buy a Camaro shifter knob off eBay. Best $2.25 (plus $4.99 shipping) I've ever spent!
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Olds Alero style shifter. Bit higher than the stock one, but kind of nice. Has a groove in it for the shift boot to slide up and over.

Also was looking at the snake head style myself, but still like the Alero one better...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
All of these knobs look OK to me but my preference is for the stock T handle. The T handle is a throwback to my racing days when I drove a stick with a Hurst competiton shifter and and T handle with finger grips. As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Since my Fiero has a Rosewood dash I would like to find a matching Rosewood T handle. IMO that would dress up the shifter quite nicely,

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

All of these knobs look OK to me but my preference is for the stock T handle. The T handle is a throwback to my racing days when I drove a stick with a Hurst competiton shifter and and T handle with finger grips. As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Since my Fiero has a Rosewood dash I would like to find a matching Rosewood T handle. IMO that would dress up the shifter quite nicely,

I see there a finger grip T-bar shifter on eBay http://c gi.ebay.com/ebaymot...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Is this a rosewood look? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-15-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
IMO I'd opt for something more modern, buy a MOMO. The auto shifters come in two styles.

Here's the gun metal/silver;

Black Leather/chrome

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-15-2008).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

When I bought my '86 GT in the spring (my first automatic Fiero which I don't particularly care for), I was surprised at the sheer size of the shifter knob. Good gawd, who designed this large ugly thing?

My point exactly. I wasn't particularly fond of the common alternatives either. The Corvette one suits me fine.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yep, other than a shifter knob for a manual, that one looks the best in a Fiero cabin (from among easily obtainable, relatively inexpensive factory shifter knobs).
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2008 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Another option is to use the 2008 auto from Corvette.

Here's a close-up of the leather MOMO auto.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
I have tried all three. What I like most is that they interchange so whenever my mood changes I just change the knob. Why decide on one when you can have whichever one hits your fancy on any given day. Only taake 30 seconds or so to change.
PFF
System Bot
07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndDirect Link to This Post
will this shifter work?

heres a link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories
07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndDirect Link to This Post

07Hoffmannd

404 posts
Member since Apr 2008
i just bought a wood one because it was 8 bucks so i figured why the hell not. but i still want to know if the other one would fit?
Dakota Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dakota FieroSend a Private Message to Dakota FieroDirect Link to This Post
I havent tried this yet, but when I was a kid my mom had a 83 celebrity with a console and a t-handle shifter, as I remember It was very slender compared to the one in the Fiero, might look ok with a little leather wrapped around it. Might have been a special package like a CL or something like that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock