Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4.9 Engine Removal+ What Else Should I remove?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

4.9 Engine Removal+ What Else Should I remove? by josef644
Started on: 04-01-2009 01:22 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: josef644 on 04-04-2009 07:51 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
This Sunday afternoon I am gonna remove the engine and transmission from my 91 Deville. Beside the engine wiring harness is there anything I need to keep before the wrecking yard comes and gets it. I am gonna remove the radio also for my S10 truck.

Anybody need anything from it before it goes? Free Cadillac Parts
Joe Crawford

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 04-01-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
pm sent
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I hooked up power to it this morning to check out the radio, and close the electric trunk. It has an information Center the the left of the steering wheel. Is this tied to the BCM or PCM. Might keep it if it will be a snap to hook up.
SeafordMX

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeafordMXSend a Private Message to SeafordMXDirect Link to This Post
keep at least the ECM.
The information center and BCM have been successfully connected up in a Fiero by a few people on this board. Do a search and you should be able to find out some things about it. I would pull it all out of the Caddy if it was me.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
You only need the engine, the engine harness, transaxle (if going auto), air box (if you wish to use it) and ECM. You will not need the power steering pump and tensioner (doesn't fit anyways) - so you can ditch those with the car. Keep the cross over pipe on the exhaust as well in case you are going to use it.

The rest is dead weight and not needed for a 4.9 swap.
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
keep the outlet flange on the exhaust plus a small stub of tubing to build a new exhaust on
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

The rest is dead weight and not needed for a 4.9 swap.

I might quibble with you a little on that.

In the back of my mind I would like to try hooking up the BCM, climate control and fuel monitor and see if I can get the on board diagnostics working.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I was reading on AllData.com about the fuel monitering , and it works partly off of a vacume switch, and the BCM to give a MPG reading

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 04-01-2009).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I was reading on AllData.com about the fuel monitering ,

That would be a cool thing to have if you could get it to work.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Got the ECM, BCM, air bag brain box, and the Fuel Management display out of the car today. This wiring harness removing is fun. NOT. I havent cut any wires yet. Haven't found the ADL connector yet. Still looking. More tomorrow.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
In the back of my mind I would like to try hooking up the BCM, climate control and fuel monitor and see if I can get the on board diagnostics working.

I just put my scanner in the car for an onboard diagnostics.

Got the ECM, BCM, air bag brain box, and the Fuel Management display out of the car today. This wiring harness removing is fun. NOT. I havent cut any wires yet. Haven't found the ADL connector yet. Still looking. More tomorrow.

ADL connector - don't worry about it as you will be using the Fiero one.

Passkey module if you are not going to get it programmed out (located usually in the trunk). Unless you will just buy/build another one (the factory one you will still have to figure out the the resistor value to get it to work).
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
So I can just cut everything left of the ECM harness off? Where is that darned ALDL? Behind some lighter cover?

I have the key , so I could measure the resister value

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 04-02-2009).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

So I can just cut everything left of the ECM harness off? Where is that darned ALDL? Behind some lighter cover?

I have the key , so I could measure the resister value

IIRC, there shouldn't be anything to the left of the ECM inside of the car - but if there is, yes you can cut the wire (just cut them as long as you can just in case). As for the ALDL location in the Caddy - never looked for it, but I would assume it is on the drivers side under the steering wheel.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

ALDL location in the Caddy - never looked for it, but I would assume it is on the drivers side under the steering wheel.

The bad thing about OBDI is that the connector can be anywhere, (as evidenced by the Fiero connector hidden where it is). With OBDII the connector has to be in plain sight under the driver's side dash. the 4.9 is OBDI but they pretty much anticipated the rule. It's #30 on the drawing.

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I found it, underneath the ashtray in the center of the dash. I removed both wheels today and pulled the axle shafts out of the transmission part of the CV shafts. After work tomorrow I'm gonna remove all the motor mount bolts and raise her up. I'll get my wife to take a "standing in the engine bay" picture in the Cadillac. I'll be gone Monday or Tuesday.

I'm not getting in the trunk again. It has the electric closer and I have already removed the BCM. I dont want to leave it open

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 04-04-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock