The Dual Plenum gallery by MordacP
Started on: 03-17-2009 12:17 AM
Replies: 69
Last post by: Will on 03-27-2009 07:52 AM
MordacP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
I have recently acquired a TIG welder and all the cool things that I can do with it are starting to coming to mind. I have decided to make a dual plenum intake. I know it's been done before but i've never seen anyone discuss how they actually perform and the possible risks involved. Also, how do you get the IAC to work right? Can you use 2 IAC valves wired in a series?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
All you need is one. Probably the one nearest the firewall.
You'll have to extend the tube down to the fitting on the lower intake.

At least that's what it looks like to me.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
If I remember right when I talked to the owner of this one he used only one set of sensors like the IAC and TPS.

------------------

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
That intake is very cool and makes the engine look more classy IMHO

Arn
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
If you look at the Truleo design, it is very nonrestrictive. Its a single plenum but that's really all that you really need.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but dual plenum's can be built CHEAP and have at least as much power potential as the Truleo
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Same one as above, but with a nice cover over the center area.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I was trying to visualize what a dual plenum with a cover in the middle would look like. Now I know!
valiantfiero_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for valiantfiero_01Send a Private Message to valiantfiero_01Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone know who built this one? And if he is interested in explaining how he made it? I'm very interested in making one like it I love the way they look! Imo they look cooler than the trulo one that I can't afford! Haha nothin agaist the trulo one I really like it to! Actualy I kinda wish they made a duel runner style intake plenum
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This guy on 60degreev6 did one. I expect you can contact him for info.

http://60degreev6.com/forum...enum-part-two-t39024

Arn
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
I've got one of those laying around The tubes are a bit small to run the Fiero tb's and feed 1.4 litres each. I need to make them just a bit bigger, which means I need to learn how to weld aluminium. Bugger.

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Yes, but dual plenum's can be built CHEAP and have at least as much power potential as the Truleo

You need two throttle bodies, a modified ( and accurate) cross linkage, two air hoses and probably more metal to build a dual plenum manifold. I dont see how it can be done cheaply. I will admit that it does look nice though.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-17-2009).]

valiantfiero_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for valiantfiero_01Send a Private Message to valiantfiero_01Direct Link to This Post
Any chance you want to let it go? Haha I can weld aluminum and thats pretty much exactly what i want! Haha
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
You need two throttle bodies, a modified ( and accurate) cross linkage, two air hoses and probably more metal to build a dual plenum manifold. I dont see how it can be done cheaply. I will admit that it does look nice though.

Two pieces of tubing and two flanges are the materials required. Fiero throttle bodies are CHEAP. The first DPM built used a modified throttle cable installed on the TV cable boss on the first throttle to work the second throttle.

This is not a big deal.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
I only see one TPS and one IAC in the dual plenum setup above. I was wondering if one IAC serving one bank is good for the motor. Wouldn't it be off balance if one bank gets air and the other doesn't?

I made some pics to show the product of me thinkin' real hard for a couple days:
EDIT: sorry, these pics were WAAAY smaller in MS Paint
This one is from the front, it shows how it keeps the intake length tuning in order with a supply of air still available in the tubes.
This isn't supposed to be precise mechanical drawing, some dimensions will be larger to promote flow.

This one has a few mock ups of air filters and cold air intakes, i like the 2nd one the best.
The gray blocks are throttles and the orange parts are filters

This will be easy to build with some steel circular tubes, square tubes, and some plates.

[This message has been edited by MordacP (edited 03-17-2009).]

valiantfiero_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for valiantfiero_01Send a Private Message to valiantfiero_01Direct Link to This Post
I like the third one if you have the stock airbox mods and a k&n drop in filter you would be good to go!
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
The third one would work well with the cavalier air box (uses stock fiero air filter):
Topic: Improving the stock V-6 cold air intake can
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096287.html

Since the hole is of-set you could add another one beside it from the same can to get the second feed like the third picture above
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MordacP:

I only see one TPS and one IAC in the dual plenum setup above. I was wondering if one IAC serving one bank is good for the motor. Wouldn't it be off balance if one bank gets air and the other doesn't?

The IAC fed idle air circuit is fed into a chamber in the lower intake manifold feeding all the cylinders. This is a moot issue. You are only pulling air from one throttle body, that's all that's needed. You do need a balance tube on the dual tb set up though.
And no I will not sell the one I have, I just bought it
The difference between the dual tb set up and the Trueleo is the Trueleo has a larger plenum volume for higher rpms with the right sized tb. THe dual tb set up improves low end, but if teh tubes are too small, like mine, they actually hurt the top end, especially with larger tb's. There is a lot of boring math and theories involved. I'm just going with what I've experienced on the dyno.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

The IAC fed idle air circuit is fed into a chamber in the lower intake manifold feeding all the cylinders. This is a moot issue. You are only pulling air from one throttle body, that's all that's needed.

Oh yeah... I knew that!!!!!

As for hurting the top end with a small volume intake, that's exactly why I have the tubes offset from the runners with the extra chamber on the side. Hopefully that's enough.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Same one as above, but with a nice cover over the center area.

That's beautiful ..
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Amusing that it's a Quad 4 cover on a V6.

I'll never understand the desire to cover up an engine. With the time spent improving it and building it up, why on earth would anyone cover it up?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-18-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

I'll never understand the desire to cover up an engine. With the time spent improving it and building it up, why on earth would anyone cover it up?

De gustibus non est disputandum.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
In a thread from The Mall here, titled, "Introduction: Top Line Group Automotive" ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045660.html ), fellow PFF member, Oslo, who started TLG Automotive, stated:

Originally posted by Oslo:
We have plans in the future to offer a custom dual throttle body intake manifold....

I'm curious to see what, if anything, arises either from the dual plenum intake manifold efforts mentioned immediately above or previously in the current thread because IMHO, the dual plenum pictures posted above look great, so hopefully, somebody will manufacture one of those for sale!
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post

I actually like the look of the Q4 cover. Matches the valve covers pretty well, IMHO. What doesn't make sense to me is why go to the trouble of installing a fuel pressure gauge, then cover it. That cover needs a hole machined into it now.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you can see it from the other side.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
So i was hoping that somebody who actually has a dual plenum could tell us how it works for them.
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MordacP:

So i was hoping that somebody who actually has a dual plenum could tell us how it works for them.

Not as good as a full itb set up. Throttle response is only slightly changed. Helps a bit in the upper rpm's but not as much as it should. I need to do something with the exhaust. Sound is off, needs a balance tube. Worth it? for performance, no; well maybe if I were to really open up the 2.8 and do some supporting computer tuning to maximize its potential, it might then be more noticeable. Need to do more math to match the tubes to the engine. But for looks, yes. Everyone notices it and asks where I got it. No one tells me a V8 will fit in there anymore
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

The valley is ugly
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

The valley is ugly

Yeah, but if you plug your nose, then it is approachable.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:
Not as good as a full itb set up. Throttle response is only slightly changed. Helps a bit in the upper rpm's but not as much as it should. I need to do something with the exhaust. Sound is off, needs a balance tube. Worth it? for performance, no; well maybe if I were to really open up the 2.8 and do some supporting computer tuning to maximize its potential, it might then be more noticeable. Need to do more math to match the tubes to the engine. But for looks, yes. Everyone notices it and asks where I got it. No one tells me a V8 will fit in there anymore

Performance improvement measured on a butt dyno?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Erik:

The valley is ugly

Then you haven't paid enough attention to your wiring.
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Performance improvement measured on a butt dyno?

Sorta. Once I get this rod knock taken care of and a few more miles on it, I'll confirm my suspicions on the dyno.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The DPM shouldn't give an increase in torque. It should only allow the engine to carry its torque to a higher RPM. This is exceedingly difficult to detect with a butt dyno. Significant improvements that show up with real dyno results and in 1/4 mile timeslips can be very hard to feel.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the "Butt Dyno" may not be a valid scientific instrument - BUTT I must say - must of us drive our cars for "satisfaction" - which is also unquanitifable on a dyno. and, I do belive the Butt Dyno DOES in fact measure satisfaction.

so, while I agree with the fact the Butt Dyno will not help much on 1/4 mile estimations - it DOES provide a guess towards "satisfaction", which to many of us - is equally important.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The gentleman that has the setup that Topnotch posted, was from Columbus, Ga. I may be wrong, but I believe he said everything was custom built by himself, including the (quad4) cover. Don't remember his name. He came to a couple of Ga. Fiero meetings. Topnotch may have his info in the club records, somewhere.
TT Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TT SlickSend a Private Message to TT SlickDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is interested the above engine and the car that it is in will be at Daytona this year.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I almost bought this manifold when it was being advertised here in the Mall, but I decided in the end it was probably going to be more trouble than it was worth (performance wise).

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
I take it you reviewed this thread, which has many versions and some working ones, and the links to articles that tell you how to size each bank's volume properly, but I think those links may be dead now.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077346.html
TT Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TT SlickSend a Private Message to TT SlickDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did, and alot of other informational sources, but in the end it is just as they say, everything is a trade-off. What you try to design for on one end you have to give up on the other. One thing I have to say about this set-up is the top end flat spot is gone. Mine used to come in around 45-50K RPM. It will pull hard all the way up through 6000 RPM now.

Good Luck.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I almost bought this manifold when it was being advertised here in the Mall, but I decided in the end it was probably going to be more trouble than it was worth (performance wise).

actually looks like a good design. even has EGR - which most wont.
center balanceing tube, with all the vacuum ports.
yes, it is UGLY tho, eh? and, I do question how well that thing seals to the Lower Plenum
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock