the mysterious popping noise! by telefragg3d
Started on: 02-11-2009 05:26 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Hudini on 02-12-2009 11:57 AM
telefragg3d

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for telefragg3dSend a Private Message to telefragg3dDirect Link to This Post
Hey all - I've got a 1985 SE V6, and I keep getting a mysterious popping noise coming from what sounds like the passenger front wheel-area-ish when I either go over bumps or (i think) turn slightly to the left. I've read online about two possibilities - one is the CV joint, don't really know what that is. The second I read about on a dodge caliber srt4 forum actually...something about re-torquing the k frame and the lower control arm bolts? is that applicable to us? Any insight or speculation on this problem is appreciated. Thanks guys.

- Ken
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
In most cases it is the balljoint. But if I remember right it could also be the swaybar endlinks. OR other front suspension related things. Seems like its possible that it could be the lower or even upper a arm but unlikely.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
If it's coming from the front then Fieros don't have CV joints up there. Did this noise just start suddenly? Have you had any other work done in that area?

You need to have a shop look at the right front. It could be bad bushings in the control arms, bad ball joints or bad tie rod end. I actually suspect it to be a bad ball joint. Don't wait too long to get it checked out. They can let go and leave you in an uncontrollable situation
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Jack the front of the car up and check for loose parts - grab the tire at the 3 and 9 oclock position and push & pull on the tire - feel for something loose. Then do the same at 12 and 6. Get a pry bar and gently pry on your tie rods and a arm bushings. It's most likely a ball joint or a tie rod. It is also possibly a bad a arm bushing. Check the wheel bearings too!
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Can even be a failed control arm bushing.
Do you happen to have a trolley jack. Even a cheap $20 one?
Often if it bushings or ball joints you can see something by doing this.
Place the jack under the lower control arm and raise the car just enough to take some weight off the wheel but not take it off the ground. You then grab the wheel and act like your going to use it to roll the car forward and backward in a rocking motion.
Watch the upper bushings and upper and lower ball joints. With the pressure off of them you can often see them move.
To check the lower you have to lift on the cross frame instead of the lower control arm.
Not a fool proof check but I found this an easy way to check upper control arm bushings. You can really see them move if they are even somewhat worn.

Another check is open the front hood and grab some metal up front and bounce the front end up and down and listen. If you really get it bouncing you can often hear a source. If you have a bad back I'd pass on doing it though.

All else fails have a shop you trust check it out...
telefragg3d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for telefragg3dSend a Private Message to telefragg3dDirect Link to This Post
well, I gave the pushing up and down in the front thing a shot. Definitely a problem with the front left suspension, every time I do it I hear the mysterious popping noise. it's definitely getting worse too. any suggestions with that info? I'll probably have a chance to look at it this weekend, but I would like to know if it's dangerous to keep driving on it like this. Thanks guys
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I hope its just a broken sway link, seems to be the culprit 80% of the time.

------------------
87 SE 60* Turbo

Screw the L67...

Flyboy81

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Flyboy81Send a Private Message to Flyboy81Direct Link to This Post
Sway bar end link is my guess. If thats what it is, do both sides. A kit should normally come with both sides anyway.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
You need to first try the suggested tests mentioned above. It may be something simple like a busted shock or more serious like busted ball joint.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock