4.9 wiring diagrams, not asking for but putting up by Dizzixx
Started on: 02-05-2009 07:13 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: countach711 on 02-07-2009 05:43 PM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Okay everyone I hope these are helpful to someone. It would be nice to contribute to the community for a change, rather than take, take, take...

Anyways over the past few days I have been trying to figure out the whole 4.9 wiring thing for my own swap, and having read all the threads on the subject, I couldn't help but notice the number of people asking for pinout diagrams for a swap harness, or people saying they would post when they were done making theirs. I figured that I would post mine. Please keep in mind these are currently still a work in progress. Actually I have a few questions. But I would like to put together in the end a fairly straight forward set of diagrams.

Also I would like to note that without other threads on the subject and the use of online resources outside PFF I would not have been able to get anywhere near this far.
Thank you-
Rickady88GT
Mickey_Moose
Fieroseverywhere
Jon at fieroaddiction.com
and anyone else that contributed in any way to any of the past 4.9 wiring threads

Here is the link to the drawings. It is a pdf. I created it and a number of revisions along the way using open office and would be more than happy to share those as well if anyone is interested. Also I dont know how to make pip work and am not even sure if it can handle a pdf so I upped it to a free filehost that is safe for work. If someone else knows how to up the file in a more permanent way please do so.
http://www.filefactory.com/...Diagram_Full_All_pdf

These were made using 91 deville pinouts and then were compared against 92-93 pinouts the only noticable difference was that the injectors are labled differently but each cylinder still goes to the same ecm pins. For me it is going into am 87' gt that was a 2.8, I am using the fieros cannister and am not connecting cruise control though I would like to wire the provisions for it so it could be done in the future. Also I had passkey programmed out, its pin is still noted. As we;; as the ecm to speedo calibration done so the vss is directly feeding the ecm and then the ecm feeding the speedo.

As far as questions go:

How do you connect the battery to the harness. I realize this probably sounds like a stupid question but I have been making these up at home and only have a chance to go the the project car on weekends making visualising some of the connections difficult. So how is the main +12v feed handled, and is there a main ground, or what?

How does the harness connect too the starter, and alternator, I understand there is a heavy gauge wire that is used from the C500 engine harness but which pin is that, or is it at all?

In the caddy drawings for the ALDL connector it shows ECM A8 going to both L and M whereas it seems the general concensous on PFF is to go only to M why is this?

Can somone explain cruise control using the stock fiero stuff? Mickey_Moose put up notes on the subject but they reference pins that are using letters and I cant seems to figure out which connector this is.

Does anyting need to be done to the caddy BCM pins or CCR pins?

What about the VCC and shift A and B pins on the ECM (C4, F6, F5, E10, and E4)?

-Dave
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Did I blab too much and scare people off. I am surprised by the lack of interest.
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Dizzi,
I've got a 3.8 but I downloaded it for the future and to share. Great looking PDF file. Thanks for the upload!
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dizzixx:

As far as questions go:

How do you connect the battery to the harness. I realize this probably sounds like a stupid question but I have been making these up at home and only have a chance to go the the project car on weekends making visualising some of the connections difficult. So how is the main +12v feed handled, and is there a main ground, or what?

How does the harness connect too the starter, and alternator, I understand there is a heavy gauge wire that is used from the C500 engine harness but which pin is that, or is it at all?

In the caddy drawings for the ALDL connector it shows ECM A8 going to both L and M whereas it seems the general concensous on PFF is to go only to M why is this?

Can somone explain cruise control using the stock fiero stuff? Mickey_Moose put up notes on the subject but they reference pins that are using letters and I cant seems to figure out which connector this is.

-Dave

Main power come from the fiero C500 located near stock battery location on 85-88 and on firewall on 84 models. There are two studs there that you battery will connect to. Your starter will also connect to one of these studs. For that matter all constant power needed in the engine bay can come from this location. For the ground I just used the ground strap that bolts to the deck hinge. Doesn't really matter though, its just a ground.

I believe the ALDL has those two pins connected because some scanners use different pins to read the PCM. I just ran the wire to both and it worked fine.

I didn't use cruise for my caddy but the pins one the C203 are marked with letters only.

No need to worry about the BCM pins. No needed unless you are trying to connect some of those special caddy sensors.

VCC pins are needed for auto install. Don't believe I did anything with them for my manual. Mickey will know for sure and will probably be along soon. Hope this helps some.
capn_r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for capn_rSend a Private Message to capn_rDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been able to get the link to open the file. Any suggestions?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Main +12v feed (engine bay) is located just under the C500 plug. The main engine bay ground, I put it back in the stock location - that being on one of the studs that hold the transaxle to the motor. That being said ECM power feeds from the C203 and the grounds are connected to the frame near the ECM (stock ground location).

Same way it did on the 2.8 - ex. the heavt gage purple wire off the C500 has a round terminal on the end, this goes over the lug on the starter on the 4.9, same goes for the alternator, with the plug on the alternator you may have to change as the 3.8 plug may not be compatiable with the 4.9 alternator (won't fit).

Scan tools only use the M pin so there is no need fo rthe L pin (not sure why it is there in the Caddy.

This is the connector that goes into the cruise module box - the box that is attached to the side of the center console near the gas pedal, under the carpet - the plug is marked using letters.

-Dave

Pins unmarked in my post where I highlighted the diagrams are not needed (I pull the pins out of the sockets).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 02-06-2009).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Cool thanks. I am starting the wiring now. I just stripped all the tape and heat shielding off both harnesses. I am going to use all the stock c500 and strain reliever and then just terminate the ends with the new sensor connectors. Looking at the wiring harness did answer some questions. It also raised a few, like why does it seem that the fiero harness is such a mess when compared with the caddy one? Almost like they just kinda threw it together one day and called it good.

I bought an 88 Oil Pressure switch from Autozone and didnt notice until today, but it seems it is a 3 pin. Did they just give me the wrong thing?
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by capn_r:

I haven't been able to get the link to open the file. Any suggestions?

click on the above link
scroll down to option #2 (download with file factory basic)
enter the anti-bot code they ask for and then download

Or PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 02-06-2009).]

Darren's 87 coupe

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeDirect Link to This Post
Tons of interest from me. Thanks for posting the info.
Darren

------------------

capn_r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for capn_rSend a Private Message to capn_rDirect Link to This Post
That worked, I got it open. Thanks!
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

I bought an 88 Oil Pressure switch from Autozone and didnt notice until today, but it seems it is a 3 pin. Did they just give me the wrong thing?

Should be a 4 pin IIRC, it should fit the 4.9 oil pressure plug, if not then it is the wrong one - been a long time since I looked at one.
PFF
System Bot
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
The one thats already on the motor is a 4 pin of the same colors why cant I just use that?
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

The one thats already on the motor is a 4 pin of the same colors why cant I just use that?

The one on the caddy is a switch not a sender. It will not run a gauge just an oil light. Go with the 88 fiero one to run a gauge.
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
Great job Dave, I really appreciate what you are doing! Thank you!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock