Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Has anyone done a write-up on swapping a manual transmission into automatic car ?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Has anyone done a write-up on swapping a manual transmission into automatic car ? by countach711
Started on: 01-30-2009 07:20 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Rodney on 02-01-2009 07:11 AM
countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
I about have the mechanical part done but I was wondering how to handle the wiring? There were at least 3 separate plugs going to the clutch pedal, and I am wondering how I will find or make these on the receiving car? The tranny was out of an 86 GT 4 speed, going into an 88 Formula automatic. I have searched the forum a bit and have not found a write-up with pics on this. Thanks for any insight, links and/or tips.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
The only switch I can think of on the clutch is the starter safety switch. there also would be a TCC switch on the break (hot when break NOT pressed)

I dont know of an actual write up on it though.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i thought doing a auto>manual swap wasnt worth it. i turned down a few auto fieros because of that. i did it to my 95 taurus once. that was cake. plenty of engine room. i just remember reading that the fiero is pretty difficult.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
you have the manual trans ecm right?
wiring harness?
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
The other clutch switch could be for cruise control
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The auto-to-manual swap in the Fiero isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Anyway, countach711 check your email.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I changed my 88 Mera (Formula) from an auto to a Getrag 5 speed. I did not change the wiring harness. I had to do some custom wiring here and there. I had to add the factory pigtail for the cruise drop out on the clutch pedal. I did not wire in the clutch pedal switch where as you have to push in the clutch pedal to start it. That was 2 wires in the original auto harness by the trans so you can not start it in gear. You butt splice them together. I also left in the auto steering column so I do not have that key lock thing. I did not change the ECM or the prom. I did have to cut one wire to the ECM to make it work correctly. I can look that up if anyone needs it. B12 I think. An EGR input to the ECM not used on the manual shift cars. For reverse I had to add wire to the auto harness near the trans and go to the Getrag reverse switch. I had the 88 Helm manual and used the wiring harness drawings to determine what I needed. All in all the changeover was not that bad but I had great desire to do it so it was not hard. I just did what I had to do to get it done.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page