Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  building a MPG monitor for OBD 1 (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
building a MPG monitor for OBD 1 by americasfuture2k
Started on: 01-20-2009 07:38 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 04-17-2009 12:37 AM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i am building the OpenGauge MPGuino v2.1 MPG monitor for my fiero. the kit comes with a backlit ugly green w/ black lettering LCD. i bought a black w/red lettering LCD from a chinese dealer on ebay. the kit was 39.95 + shipping and the pontiaccolored LCD was 9.80 + shipping. so in all i spent less than 50 bux for a real time MPG computer that installs in any vehicle. it connects to the VSS low and the injector driver grounds.

buiding is currently underway. i have ADHD hardcore and stopped in the middle of my build to make this post

getting back to work and a picture of the software load will come shortly.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Good to see an updated attempt. Oliver Scholz had all the schematics for an in dash unit that monitored the outputs form the ecm for the fiero and mounted in that little slot that looks like an extra odometer on the right side of the dash.
He had alot of good info on that site, including what may be your biggest issue, determining the actual flowrate form the injector pulse width.
There may be copes of the pages out on other fiero sites, as his site is now gone. Might be worth some surfing time!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ive looked hard into that one. and had all the info to build one. just never heard anything back from him for the programming the chip needs. it was the same for the one touch window module. oh well. i have my own of each now. and were relatively cheap. im getting onto the programming stuff now. may god be with me because i dont know what im doing when it comes to this stuff.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with the project! Sounds interesting... I got my 87 GT back, and found another 3500 for $70. Maybe I will get it running longer than 2 months this time
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
it is completed! and usb wise, it is functioning. now i just need a running fiero to tune the MPGuino.

yea, those PPM arent right. thats what was on the chip. i corrected it.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-20-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by topher_time:

Good luck with the project! Sounds interesting... I got my 87 GT back, and found another 3500 for $70. Maybe I will get it running longer than 2 months this time

haha good luck on that man! the first 3500 that was in my car spun a bearing. this 3500 was had for free with some hook ups. so far its lasted since....sht, almost a year! and its only had like 300-400 miles put on it haha.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

mswenson289

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mswenson289Send a Private Message to mswenson289Direct Link to This Post
Where do you plan to mount it? What is the actual size of the display? Cool , not sure I really want to know what mine is doing for mpg. Seems like every time I get in it I have a really heavy foot and a big smile.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i havent thought of that just yet. i gotta wait till i get it into its enclosure i make for it. then ill decide where i want it. its...well crap, i cant find my ruler to measure it with.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

cujoe_da_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cujoe_da_manSend a Private Message to cujoe_da_manDirect Link to This Post
oooo, would this be a saleable item? I've wanted to make one myself, but I just don't have the knowledge for something like this and the ones selling on eBay are outrageous and won't work in Fieros anyway

just re-read your post, lol, thought it was a custom project, so this scanner does work for OBD1?

[This message has been edited by cujoe_da_man (edited 01-21-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
it works with anything that has a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and fuel injection. OBD I is much easier as OBD II has seperate control of each injector. at low rpm of course.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
This thread has been added to favorites, really want to see how this turns out!
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
the wait could be a while. im trying to figure out why my car isnt sparking now. gotta love motor swaps.....

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
You could just use a Manifold Pressure gauge. It is an excellent indicator of your mileage. The higher the inches of mercury, the worse your mileage.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

the wait could be a while. im trying to figure out why my car isnt sparking now. gotta love motor swaps.....

Are your crank position sensor wires twisted together? It is important that they are.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
today is the first really warm day we have had in a while and that i have free time. so i am going to twist those together and check some grounds below my C500. and some wires on the 5 pin DIS connector.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-22-2009).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

today is the first really warm day we have had in a while and that i have free time. so i am going to twist those together and check some grounds below my C500. and some wires on the 5 pin DIS connector.

They have to be twisted together at a rate of not less than 9 turns per foot. I found another reference to it while checking for something else that mentioned it and explained that it is done to keep the electrical interference down which will cause a misfire. It explains the unusual crank signal I observed on the oscilloscope making it difficult for the module to sense the reference point.

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

haha good luck on that man! the first 3500 that was in my car spun a bearing. this 3500 was had for free with some hook ups. so far its lasted since....sht, almost a year! and its only had like 300-400 miles put on it haha.

Sad thing is, this will be number 5 or 6 in this car turbos and very bad tuning... may just tow it to Darth and tell him to make it work. But my dd Land Rover comes first, needs an engine
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
its number...1,2,3....carry the 12.....divide by....to the power of....... its looking like its number 7. or 8. my math and memory are shotty now but its a high number. in a really short time. haha. thats merlot and his half assing for ya! nah, most of it was not having access to the right info and learning the hard way. i think only 2 of these motors were paid for, rest have been free replacements. its all been N/A and there really hasnt been any tuning. had nothing to do with why the motors blew. if i could afford for darth to do it, it would have been done. that part will hafta wait till im outta the military and pulling in that disability pay. ow, my brain. and my back. :\
but yea, i feel ya man. for me, life comes first. this is just my side project. it will become more project time as it warms up.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

its number...1,2,3....carry the 12.....divide by....to the power of....... its looking like its number 7. or 8. my math and memory are shotty now but its a high number. in a really short time. haha. thats merlot and his half assing for ya! nah, most of it was not having access to the right info and learning the hard way. i think only 2 of these motors were paid for, rest have been free replacements. its all been N/A and there really hasnt been any tuning. had nothing to do with why the motors blew. if i could afford for darth to do it, it would have been done. that part will hafta wait till im outta the military and pulling in that disability pay. ow, my brain. and my back. :\
but yea, i feel ya man. for me, life comes first. this is just my side project. it will become more project time as it warms up.

The 3500 has a factory rev limit of 6000 rpm, the VVT motors are around 6300 rpm. Superdave on the 60 degree forum spun a bearing or two in his 3500 and I believe it all had to do with spinning the engine up to 7000 rpm regularly on a stock balance and connecting rod bolts. Recall that merlot hit the rev limiter pretty hard in one of the two videos before the bearing failure suggesting that stronger connecting rod bolts should be used or maybe even pinning the bearing. Otherwise limiting revs to 6k is in order for the 3500. He did mention the possibility of oil contamination with fuel.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
hmm....so the 6800 red line setting is too high....ill have it lowered. cause if this motor goes, im going V8....

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006
ok, back to the topic, here it is in front of the monsoon. didnt get any daylight pictures....
its not going to be all bright like that on one side. im going to covere that side up, then put it into its own enclosure.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
I definately plan to pick one of these up. Nice thing about it is that 8F and code59 have fuel monitoring in the code so it maybe possible to interface with its output signal from the 730 ecm.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
hmm, possibly. but i know nothing about programming.

EDIT to add: they come with a ugly green lcd screen. like the original gameboy, but this is backlit. still ugly. i found mine on ebay. a search term to be used is 16x2 lcd. or 16 x 2 lcd. then go through the resluts till you find ones that have multiple colors available to choose from. there will be a red one in there. more than likely also have a picture of all the color combos together.
------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-22-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
daytime pics!!!

full brightness, instant MPG BIG

LEDs off, instant MPG BIG

the ideal place of where it is going to go, full brightness, BIG instant MPG

the ideal place of where it is going to go, LEDs off, BIG instant MPG

ideal place with small lettering, instant MPG / speed / current MPG / distance, full brightness

ideal place with small lettering, instant MPG / speed / current MPG / distance, LEDs off

so its looking like no matter what, it is going to be visible. and in that location, it is going to be very visible and noticeable at a glance!

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k:...OpenGauge MPGuino v2.1 MPG monitor...

All versions are out of stock.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
crap...did i buy the last one..? oops lol

hey 30+, do you have the duke? there are some issues with running the MPGuino on the GM TBI setups that are being worked on.

read about it: late 80's early 90's GM TBI advisory

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006
oh, the difference between the V1 board and the other board (its a V2.x board, not labled on the order page) is the V2.x has the USB and the RJ11 on opposite sides of eachother and the V2.x has the USB and RJ11 next to each other.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-23-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
here is the enclosure i made for it the other day.
i used the internals of some click pens that i could find to make the case buttons

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2009 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

You know if you upgrade to the LED dashboard that will look perfect there behind the plexiglass.

You'll find that mpguino works good. I have one I built for my suzuki and will be building and installing one in the fiero. I'm going to switch out the GT pod gauges to the LED type and fit mine between them with some custom work so that it looks stock, well more stock.

I'm hoping to afford the full LED gauges by the end of this year.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i am going to do this for the guages when i get around to ordering the parts:

but with red LEDs.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-29-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty cool. I have those inside my Caddy dash pods and they work pretty good.
PFF
System Bot
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
I was going to build one of those for my car until I got run off of cleanmpg.com for not being green enough. It is a back burner project for now. I will need to eventually need to get the calibration info for the 4-cylinder auto. I have added this thread to my favorites as well.
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Hello Mike,

I don't remember that you ever emailed me about the Power Window Controllers...
I could only find an email from you regarding the use of DashScan with a different ECM ('7730?), and I wrote you a response on what would work (the trip computer stuff), and what wouldn't work (the scantool part obviously as well as the mileage display, since that's the same data stream)? I also wrote that the mileage may be somthing that I'll maybe adapt when I get the '7730 in my Fiero, but the Scantool part for the '7730 was probably not going to happen.

But that email is dated 29/1/09, and your posting was from 20/1/09... did you ever mail me about that before?

@tjm4fun: The DashScan mileage part works great, and while it can be calibrated, nobody has ever complained it was not accurate enough, on the contrary. The only problem with DashScan is the price of the special LED displays needed to fit into the odometer housing. That's also why I don't make them anymore, they're just too expensive (relatively speaking... people have no problem spending way more on a set of headers, but I guess if you get a large package, it justifies a bigger price tag... but I digress...)

Best regards,

Oliver Scholz

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 02-02-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
it was a year or two ago i sent you the emails. been a lil while hehe
i didnt get your response. they may have been going into my spam folder. whats the email they are coming from so i can check to see if its listed as spam or not.

i dont recall emailing you before about the dashscan. but i may have. no telling now.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
PM sent...
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post

fieroluke

357 posts
Member since Mar 2001
HI all,

I've started working on a Fiero-specific MPG monitor when gas prices reached an all time high here last year.
The parameters were:

• Display MPG and (optionally) outside temperature
  • Fit the unused hole above tach, no modification (drilling/cutting) of visible parts
  • Small board, only three (five) wires to connect: 12V, ground, ALDL-data, (optionally temperature sensor input and switch input to switch between MPG and temp)
  • lowest cost possible: avoid high-priced components where possible, only one 4 digit alphanumerical LED (with provision on board for a second one)
  • Use GM outside temperature sensor (same as MAT sensor)
  • US and metric version (mpg vs. l/100km)

So far I have built a prototype, I have the data stream decoded, and I can read the temperature, and I can switch back and forth between temp and mpg.
What's missing is testing and possibly debugging that thing in the car: when my car broke down last fall, I was about to test my MPG monitor. Car's still down, and it's been too cold to fix it since. And with gas prices back down, the interest has dropped I guess (at least in the US).

Anyway, when I have something ready to reproduce, I'll post on PFF for sure.

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 02-03-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
as you can tell, im still interesed in mpg displays. gas here in oklahoma is climbing back up. slowly.

is this going to be available for the different ECM's and PCM's used in motor swaps? i know the '7730 will be tricky since its used with so many motors.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 02-03-2009).]

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Hi Mike,

initially "low cost MPG display" will be for the stock V6 (86-88) only, because that ECM is already equipped with a MPG output. And it's a three wire job, doesn't get easier than that. The 85 V6 ECM does not have the MPG output on the ALDL pin, but you can easily swap ECMs and use the newer ECM with the old engine. For some 85 vehicles a PROM patch may be required when using the newer ECM. But basically it's that simple.

I have not dug deeper into the '730, since haven't done the swap yet (car is still down -> lack of motivation).
But the swap will render the mileage display of my DashScan inoperative, so I'll have to come up with a solution there. *IF* the '7730 can output the mileage info (I think it does though). When the swap is done and the mileage info is missing, that'll be motivation enough, because once you had that info on your car, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I don't think the '730 is all that difficult, because I have found (when I quickly looked through the code) that the ECM not only can output the injector pulse width, but also a calibration value for the MPG display. I don't know if the "mask" Darth Fiero uses (pun intended) has that value adjusted for the Fiero though. (I'm talking about the ECM mask, not his helmet ;-)

Then, once I have the code to read and display the '730 mileage, I can try to incorporate that software into the mileage display, but it will make a board change necessary from today's point of view, I don't think it is software only. Reason being, the stock V6 outputs the MPG info on the ALDL all the time, while I *think* the '730 needs to be sent a request message.

So the line of action will be:

1.) Replace the damn water pump (something I'm not really looking forward to) [I know... closed metal impeller... 12 hour job... crate of beer...]
2.) Get the stock version of the MPG display done and out to a few testers
3.) Do the '730 swap on my V6
4.) Either have the car crushed if the swap fails, or try to persuade the '730 to divulge mileage info
5.) Make my DashScan compatible with the '730 (or make a completely new DashScan...)
6.) Make a '730 version of the MPG display, if there is sufficient interest.

Best regards,

Oliver

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 02-04-2009).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluke:

The DashScan mileage part works great, and while it can be calibrated, nobody has ever complained it was not accurate enough ...

Oliver -

As you know, I have had a DashScan II in my Formula for more than five years now. In my experience, the instantaneous mileage display is interesting and useful but the "total fuel used" value calculated and displayed is only accurate to about +/- 15%. I have never been able to identify a pattern to the totalizer errors, which you would need to develop a fix, and I never considered it important enough to "complain." There are a couple of other intermittent glitches that are occasionally annoying, but overall I'm still a very satisfied DashScan II customer; I'd do it again.

- Marvin
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
marvin, could we see a video of it in action? im reall curious as to see how this operates.

EDIT: oliver, what readings does yours use to calculate the mpg? the one i have uses the VSS low and the injector grounds.
------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 02-04-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors