How much do 87 Lace rims weigh? by JCUOIT
Started on: 01-18-2009 03:15 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: JCUOIT on 01-20-2009 10:29 AM
JCUOIT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
Hi, does anyone know how much the stock 87 lace rims weigh?

like the ones pictured below:

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
I've read that they are around 20lbs a piece?

I would weigh one, but they all have old tires mounted on them.
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

A 205/60/15 tire weight is about 21 pounds. Subtract 21 pounds from the total and it's about 14.5 pounds. Pictures is a 205R/60/15, 15x7. Tire tire is somehow of a may-pop with little tread life so the weights may vary, hehe.

A 215/60/15 wieght is about 23 pounds (from Tire Rack).
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
Oh damn, did you run out and weigh one for me?

so the wheel likely weighs around 15lbs?

either way, thanks alot. Damn thats kind of you.

JC

[This message has been edited by JCUOIT (edited 01-18-2009).]

jgrotzin

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jgrotzinSend a Private Message to jgrotzinDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I know I'm late to the party but I weighed the 88 "rear" lace rim which looks nearly identical to the 86-87 lace rims and it was about 17lbs even....

I did weigh an 87 lace rim with a "maypop" on it and it weighed in at 36lbs, so 19 for the tire. Sounds about right. Hopefully this helps.

I might be wrong about the 88 rear and 86-87 lace rims, but just trying to help...
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2009 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
You want to get your tire /wheel weight as close to 30 pounds as you can a cute wheel does not aid performance a wheel under 15 pounds with a tire that weigts 15 pounds is like taking weight off the fly wheel..this aids accelleration between 10 and 70 mph and helps with gas milage..
the origin of mag wheels was to lower weight and improve acceleration out of the corners,, this is a proven concept.
So try to mount the lowest weight wheel and tire possible ,, this performance feature has fallen off our memories and I TRY TO RESSURECT IT ,,it is really good for those who like to blow off rice around town
all is takes as a bathroom scale and when you buy tires take the lower weight choice
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, thanks a lot.

I couldnt understand why there are so many people auto-crossing, and many threads to tell their tales, but nothing with regards to the weight of their wheels.

I just picked up some wheels off a 2003 cavalier Z24 for cheap, but to my shagrin they weigh over 20lbs each. i think i'll use the 15's for the track then.

the stock lace rims, at around 17lbs each, are not only lighter, but must hold a lower polar moment of enertia being only 15 inches, rather than 16.

Thanks again to all that helped me with this.

JC

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock